Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Mount Hema HX1 in front dash area? Heat and signal problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Mount Hema HX1 in front dash area? Heat and signal problems?

From all the reviews of the hx1, it sounds like it overheats easy.
    Can anyone say if it will still overheat if mounted in the dash area during hot summer? It will be out of direct sunlight but the interior can still get warm even in victoria. And no my A/C isnt always going as i have windows down.

Finally will it get a good signal in that area without direct exposure though windscreen?
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • ant_schomacker
    • Feb 2017
    • Coen (Cape York)

I’ve got one mounted on the windscreen. Living in cape York for the last 2 years the worst issue I’ve had is that maybe once every 3-4 months it falls off the windscreen.

Never had any issues with heat even during summer!

Comment

• Onslow
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

Like anything with a lithium ion battery there is a chance that it could happen, especially if in the full sun. I've had it happen to my iPad, iPhone and HX-1, all left in the sun in a vehicle.

I haven't had a problem while driving around with it on the windscreen, only when parked and closed up.

I learned to put them lower down in the car when I closed it up and I've never had a problem since.
      NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Bru9
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Victoria

So can this device run straight off DC, no battery installed?
        If so i would just run some converter at around 3.6V off aux battery. Is battery swap easy enough like hn7?

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

If you haven't bought it yet, I'd recommend a reasonable Android tablet like the Tab A 8"and run Ozi Explorer. Better maps available plus you can use the tablet for other stuff.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Bru9
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Victoria

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            If you haven't bought it yet, I'd recommend a reasonable Android tablet like the Tab A 8"and run Ozi Explorer. Better maps available plus you can use the tablet for other stuff.
            For the total cost imo its just easier and better to get the hx1. Just sits in one place for one task.
            Also no street mode on tablets irrc. And the downloaded cache maps on hx1 are said to be alot more detailed over preloaded.
            But i never took gps units to seriously. My view is the driver is what counts.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
              For the total cost imo its just easier and better to get the hx1. Just sits in one place for one task.
              Also no street mode on tablets irrc. And the downloaded cache maps on hx1 are said to be alot more detailed over preloaded.
              But i never took gps units to seriously. My view is the driver is what counts.

I ditched my Hema and went android. Put Hema maps on android plus ozi-explorer and I-Go for street. So much better than the slow old Hema Hn-7. Perfect for street mode with I-Go. . $350 for android (samsung 8 inch or now 10inch for $380) Hema around $600. I found ExplorOz the best to use for "go to destination" as it immediately gave you a route to follow....like google maps but on topo maps. Hema and ozi explore take way too long and dont have this go-to feature.
              Last edited by Dicko1; 11-07-19, 08:44 AM.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Android tablet around $250, Ozi Explorer $45 with Aus 250K map, Full Hema map set for Aus (150K resolution), $149

Total $444
                Last edited by Ian H; 11-07-19, 02:23 PM.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                  Android tablet around $250, Ozi Explorer $45 with Auys 250K map, Full Hema map set for Aus (150K resolution), $149

Total $444

Yep...and so much easier than Hema or Ozi-explorer. Download Exploreoz..Great setup
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

I run Memory map too, but that's another story.

Comment

• Bru9
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      I ditched my Hema and went android. Put Hema maps on android plus ozi-explorer and I-Go for street. So much better than the slow old Hema Hn-7. Perfect for street mode with I-Go. . $350 for android (samsung 8 inch or now 10inch for $380) Hema around $600. I found ExplorOz the best to use for "go to destination" as it immediately gave you a route to follow....like google maps but on topo maps. Hema and ozi explore take way too long and dont have this go-to feature.
                      Yes that does sound alot better. Hema sound like an awful group who don't stand behind their own gear.

Comment

• Bru9
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Victoria

Got this response from Hema: Typically if the unit is mounted in a place in the vehicle where it cannot see the sky by line-of-sight, it will hinder the GPS fix from the satellites.

Not sure what to do now I had planned on mounting it right in front of the radio controls just above air con control dials. i hate mounting on glass those suction caps never stay put so i refuse to do that.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X