Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Challenger v. 13 week road trip through WA - what do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onyx
    • Mar 2015
    • ACT

Challenger v. 13 week road trip through WA - what do I need?

Hi all
    Just after some advice before I head off on an extended road trip/holiday. We are taking 14 weeks off work, taking our 6 and 8 years boys from Canberra essentially direct to NW WA, then slowly making our way south down the GRR before turning left at Geraldton to head home. We leave around the 9th of July.

On the way we plan to stop at Finke gorge, Mataranka then Kununurra, Purnululu, GRR (inc side trips to Mitchell Falls, etc and possibly the Munja track), Broome, Cape Leveque, Karratha and the Burrup Peninsula, Karijini, Ningaloo, Quobba/Gnarloo and Shark Bay. Plans are flexible at this stage and we'll play it a little by ear although there are key things we want to do and see.

We'll towing a 2015 Cub Supamatic Drover, it'll be under the max weight of 1500kg for the whole trip, sometimes only just.

The Challenger is getting its 75,000 km service this week and a Brown and Davis LR tank fitted next. I'll be running 265/75 R16 Hankook Dynapro MTs with about 12,000km on them. The truck tows ok with these on, but its no rocket ship. The Cub will be running the same size tyres. The car is set up as per my signature, although it also has a set of draws in the back plus a 50L water tank and a Rhino pioneer platform on the roof.

With just under 4weeks to go, we are almost ready to go. Now I just need to work out what spares I should take. I'm no mechanic, but can do the basics if needed and have the tools. At this stage I was planning to take:
    - radiator hoses and coolant concentrate
    - intercooler hoses
    - air, oil and fuel filters
    - belts - which ones?
    - spare rear shocks
    - nuts, bolts and screws (an assortment inc. wheel nuts)
    - elect wire and connectors
    - zip ties and duct tap
    - wheel bearing?

Anything else I should be taking?

I have a full recovery kit, compressor and tyre plug kit.

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    John
    MY14 PC Manual - XROX bar, Runva 11XP winch, OME suspension, Basha plates, diff breathers extended, MM tow bar, Safari snorkel, Triton GLX-R wheels and Toyo OPATII 265/65 R17, OEM wheels and Hankook Dynapro MT 265/75 R16 for fun.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Think you have it pretty well covered ...

Possibly consider a satellite phone .. if not to buy think you can hire one ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• BMN
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • Perth WA

Sounds like an awesome trip very envious. Kit sounds good, just take p/steering, aircon, waterpump belts. Do a regular check of the p/steering hoses on route, make sure they are not loose. If space is issue don't bother with intercooler hose just spare clamps.

Can recommend Millstream in the Chichester National Park, south of karratha, for a camp. You can easily spend a few days/week in Kalbarri and would not bother with Geraldton. But hopefully your planning on heading east through Mount Magnet-Sandstone and Leonora/Gwalia is a must, your kids will love Gwalia ghost town. Kookynie, Niagra dam is a good camp and Lake ballard are all good spots as you head south through Menzie's to Kalgoorlie-home.
      2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• Pixie_au
        • Apr 2019
        • Queensland

I did a similar trip but from Brisbane. I wished I'd taken a spare spring for the trailer as the corrugations fatigued one side. Fortunately not too far out of borroloola when it happened but held me up for two days waiting for parts.

Comment

• BMN
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2010
          • Perth WA

Jumper leads, and i would run the ATs. Lot of blacktop for MTs
          2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• DID Dash
            • Aug 2016
            • Australia

Would suggest getting your long range tank in ASAP and running a few tanks of fuel through it. Insist it is cleaned thoroughly before fitment. Check installation quality and reconfirm prior to setting off. Sadly, it is often the aftermarket gear that can let you down. Know this through 1st hand experience, all be it 20 years ago. Great trip you are planning. Enjoy.
            17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• KevL
              • May 2015
              • Murphys Creek

If it were me I wouldn’t bother with most of those spares.
              Most of the journey is well travelled busy areas. Inspect the vehicle daily. Stay on top of it.
              Seeing as it’s being serviced soon, get belts etc inspected and replaced then and there.
              Things like intercooler hoses etc are as likely to fail as say a cv joint.
              You can’t carry everything.

Over the years I’ve carried so much useless stuff “ just in case”. Waste of time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

I would be packing.
                1.Brake/clutch/power steering fluid.
                2. Fuses.
                3. Scangauge/Ultragauge/Torque Pro to read and clear fault codes.
                4. Extra spare tyre carcass for the car and camper so 2 full spares + 1 carcass.
                5. Multimeter.

I would not bother with carrying.
                1. Rear shockers.
                2. Wheel bearings.

I would be doing camper maintenance and inspection before leaving.
                More likely to have camper trailer issues than Challenger issues.
                1. Wheel bearings check and service.
                2. Brakes check and service.
                3. Coupling check and service.
                4. Suspension check and service.

I would be doing a test load ASAP and measuring the rear suspension ride height to see if the rear coils are up to the loads you want to carry. If you have a saggy rear then this is a cheap temporary fix, if you do not want to change coils, upgrade rubber cones or fit airbags.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Zip ties and duct tape are great for those things that move when they shouldn't.

What will you carry for those things that don't move when they should?
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Hatto
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2013
                    • Mandurah WA

Oil filter is pointless in my opinion. Think about it like this. If you need to change the oil filter then you'll need to carry enough oil to fill the donk again. If you really need an oil change then the next town wont be that far away to have it done where you can get both oil and filter.
                    Fuel filter is a worthy spare as there is always a chance of picking up dodgy fuel. If this happens and you konk out once fuel is transferred from the aux tank in the middle of nowhere or something then bleeding the fuel system and replacing the fuel filter could get you going and get you to the next town/servo.
                    Air filter, definitely if you're travelling dirt roads.
                    Wheel bearings and shocks I wouldn't bother with. Just have it all checked before you go. If a shockie fails on the road, you'll still be able to drive albeit feeling a little sea sick. Same as a wheel bearing. If one gets noisy it should get you to the next town a well.
                    One very important thing to organize in my opinion is a comprehensive roadside assistance coverage. Read the fine print and make sure it covers all states etc etc. Because if there is a breakdown that stops you in your tracks, you'll need the peace of mind of having a plan. Providing you have phone service? Hire a sat phone if you're really worried.
                    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Onyx
                      • Mar 2015
                      • ACT

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice, really appreciate it. Looks like I'll be leaving a couple of things behind and grabbing some others.

Before it went in for the service this week I noticed oil leaking from the back of the engine, the centre diff/transfer case and the front diff - all quite recent. They couldn't do it all during the service, so its back in to get fixed just before we head off - not ideal.

thanks again
                      John
                      MY14 PC Manual - XROX bar, Runva 11XP winch, OME suspension, Basha plates, diff breathers extended, MM tow bar, Safari snorkel, Triton GLX-R wheels and Toyo OPATII 265/65 R17, OEM wheels and Hankook Dynapro MT 265/75 R16 for fun.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Hundreds of vehicles travel outback roads daily and many carry no spares at all apart from tyres. I know that the tojo/nissans I drove through out the country had no spare parts apart from 2 spare wheels. I never needed to use the second and flat tyres were a rarity. Taking spare hoses/fan belts shouldn't be needed...have new ones fitted at service before you go. Why would these require changing just because your on a dirt road and not a suburban street. A well serviced, off road ready and prepared vehicle will go months in outback conditions. Daily inspections and common sense will see most break downs/faults avoided. Take as little as you can to save wight and enjoy your trip.

Doesn't matter where you go...you will always see others on the road.
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X