• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Cox
    • Nov 2009

Rear Door Dramas

Hi fellow Pajero peeps,
    got back last weekend from 4 fantastic weeks in central Australia having an absolute ball, with a mate and our better halves doing 8000km. Pajero and camper performed fantastically and went everywhere my mates FJ Cruiser went.
    Wasn't until our way home, on the 2nd to last day coming across the PLENTY HIGHWAY that we pulled over to get something out of the freezer for dinner that the tailgate (rear door) would not open. Had some silicone spray and gave it a blast thinking that it would penetrate and open later in the day.
    No such luck, and to cut it short, once home I managed to drag everything that was in the back including the fridge/freezer out via the back seat, remove the top and bottom plastic trim and have now emptied a whole can into it, still have had no luck getting it open.
    Came in and fired up the computer to read this forum and have found the 5 page thread on this problem. Have tried all the methods suggested there, including the wadding of rags (I used a folded up blanket) and rubber mallet, I now have a dented rear door. Still no luck, the thing is locked solid and I'm worried if I put any more pressure on the handle something will break/bend. I'm starting to wonder if a stone or small rock as been thrown up back off the camper and has somehow worked it's way down between the door and the door frame and jammed the lock that way.
    At my wits end for today hence this new thread and have now started blowing the dust out of the rest of the car with the compressor. Obviously, the rear of the car is full of dust and need the tailgate open too get that out too.
    Any Ideas out there, otherwise I guess I'll have to take it to MM and reamed for them getting it open.
    Thanks in advance, cheers Steve
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

I presume you have tried to push/lean on the door whilst trying to release the latch? Also try lifting the door (perhaps with spare removed)?

Have you tried to check for any objects jammed in the door frame, eg, by inserting some bendable plastic and ensuring it can be run right around the door frame?

I've noticed the rear of these cars tend to flex & creak a bit when crossing diagonal drains, etc. See if you can make it flex a bit by jacking each rear corner or running a wheel onto a ramp or kerb. Whilst like that, try pushing on the door, etc.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Steve Cox
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for the suggestions Spot01, will give them a go and let you know. Have tried pushing, pulling and lifting but will try with the spare off, cheers Steve

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

Steve
        Had similiar experience at Drysdale Station which is off the Gibb River Road with rear door not opening.
        Our NT doesnt have a keyed lock so i installed pull string to lock which exits rear drain hole. This is described elsewhere on forum.

Pulled my fail safe string. No joy.
        Unbolted cage and remov.ed everything from rear of car.
        Removed rear door trim.
        Bolt from rear door handle was missing.

If lock do.es not have a solid feel you may be missing one or more bolts from rear door open.er.

Good luck

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• dean
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007

Same problem...common...the linkages in the door get stuck and eventually break and possibly that is your issue.
          I had to get a crash repairer to open mine...minor aesthetic damage to the lock and once open mitsi replaced the parts.
          FYI...I had it in Mitsi for several days soaking and playing with the latch...it was there suggestion and final chance to getting it open....thankfully it worked.
          Have you considered this also...you might about to free the linkages if they aren't broken.

Dean
          NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Steve Cox
            • Nov 2009

Just a quick update, still no luck, have tried all that's been suggested and more. Even got the crowbar out at a mates suggestion and tried to lift the door slightly with the reasoning being that the door had dropped. After all the bad roads we drove on, the Plenty Highway was no worse than the others so why it decided not to work after that is anyones guess.
            Thinking as I have been, it's constantly bugging me as you can imagine, I'm going to give the pressure washer a go. My reasoning being that all the silicone spray I've doused it with is still just sitting there, maybe even helping to keep the dust in place. I figure a bit of a damp interior is far better than the stuck door. Will try it first in the crack between the door and the door frame around the locking mechanism from the outside and if that doesn't work will also give it a go from the inside.
            Can anyone see any dramas with that? Will have to be careful around the central locking solenoid on the inside but hoping that the pressure and sheer volume of water will move the dust away, fingers crossed.
            Still looking for other suggestions but if this doesn't work looks like I'm off the local panel beaters.
            Cheers Steve

Comment

• dean
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Steve Cox View Post
              Just a quick update, still no luck, have tried all that's been suggested and more. Even got the crowbar out at a mates suggestion and tried to lift the door slightly with the reasoning being that the door had dropped. After all the bad roads we drove on, the Plenty Highway was no worse than the others so why it decided not to work after that is anyones guess.
              Thinking as I have been, it's constantly bugging me as you can imagine, I'm going to give the pressure washer a go. My reasoning being that all the silicone spray I've doused it with is still just sitting there, maybe even helping to keep the dust in place. I figure a bit of a damp interior is far better than the stuck door. Will try it first in the crack between the door and the door frame around the locking mechanism from the outside and if that doesn't work will also give it a go from the inside.
              Can anyone see any dramas with that? Will have to be careful around the central locking solenoid on the inside but hoping that the pressure and sheer volume of water will move the dust away, fingers crossed.
              Still looking for other suggestions but if this doesn't work looks like I'm off the local panel beaters.
              Cheers Steve
              Have you tried cutting the plastic behind the toolbox as above...not pretty but has worked for others here...it's a good access into the linkages and the hole at least is covered by the toolbox.
              NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Steve Cox
                • Nov 2009

Thanks for the input Dean, but managed to get all the plastic trim off the door from the inside sitting with my feet in the 3rd seat hole and also removed a metal brace (only got 3 nuts) that's there around where the linkages are for the lock.
                As I've mentioned, drowned the whole thing (lock and linkages from inside the door cavity) in silicone spray with no luck and like I'm reading brail have tinkered with the rods again with no luck. Can't get my head down or in far enough though to see what I'm doing.
                Something I haven't mentioned before is that with the door locked, either with the key or the remote locking, the handle will move freely all the way. It's only when you have the door unlocked, so you SHOULD be able to open it, that it'll only move about halfway and I'm worried i'll bend or break something if I force it.
                Hopefully the pressure wash idea can move some of the dust which I think must be clogged around the lock striker from silicone spray I stupidly sprayed around the lock etc halfway through our trip away.
                Anyway please keep the ideas coming and will let all know how the pressure washer goes, cheers Steve

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Good luck. Look forward to your progress.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• bb2wa
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Perth

Just a thought re seeing what is the problem. Son in law gave me a usb cable camera. Slots into jack on mobile phone. Very good for looking inside cavities etc to see whats going on. Cost up to $20 on ebay.
                    2009 NT DID Platinum, CR5002HP air bags, KYB Skorched 4s shocks, std front springs, rear Kings std . Alpine iLX-702D, Occam roof rack 2.2m on backbone.

Comment

• Steve Cox
                      • Nov 2009

Sounds good, do you think it would fit into the slot between the door and the door frame on the outside, would then have to do a bit of snaking in? Would definitely be a help with the inside of the door to see if I can find anything astray there. Will hit the mates up to see if anyone has one, cheers for the idea, Steve

Comment

• dean
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007

When mine was stuck I used a small mirror to see inside, the usb camera sounds easier.
                        Dean

Comment

• dbart1961
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Dapto NSW

Where are you located mate as I have a snake camera you can borrow. I am in Dapto NSW

Comment

• Lance
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • Melbourne

Another one here in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Steve, add your approx location to your profile of signature.
                            2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                            2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Steve Cox
                              • Nov 2009

Thanks for all the offers of a camera, unfortunately I'm up on the Sunshine Coast in Beerburrum. I tried using the pressure washer last night both outside, and when that didn't work, also on the inside of the door, hitting the mechanism from both sides, again no luck. Starting to really 'p' me off now.
                              Mate told me of a horror storey from the FJ cruiser site where a guy had something from the back of his car get jammed into the lock as he shut it. Apparently nothing would open it and in the end had to cut away the outer skin to get at the mechanism to open and then an expensive repair. Hopefully I don't need to go to those extremes but starting to wonder. Cheers Steve

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X