• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cry_babys
    • Dec 2010
    • nsw

help p1901 obd code and check engine light

we are stuck in dubbo with a p1901 obd code and check engine light any advice would be great
  • cry_babys
    • Dec 2010
    • nsw

after letting it cool down lights have gone off so we will see how far we can get

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

P1901

There is not a list of all fault codes in the one place in the manual so you have to search all the systems separately until you find the fault code, so sorry for the delay.

P1901 is a CAN Signal Time Out fault which is, from my reading, a communication error between the Engine ECU and the Auto Trans ECU which will be a faulty connection or a fault in either of the ECU's.
      Unfortunately complete diagnosis requires connection to MUT-III at a Mitsubishi Service Department.

I can't see that this is temperature related and I suggest if the car is running then drive with care keeping an eye on everything. I suspect your fuel economy, engine performance and auto shift patterns may change.

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

A real bitch of a code if it's intermittent.
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• cry_babys
          • Dec 2010
          • nsw

thanks for the help old jack

after check engine light went out we continued driving the auto did not want to change down gears had to do in manual mode. we all so had both the traction control and stability lights on and had no cruise control. after stopping for the night today we had check engine light on but both the traction control and stability lights were off still no cruise control but the auto changes fine. will have to call in to the service center on the way home love that car?

Comment

• Chris4x4
            • May 2012
            • Geelong

Originally posted by cry_babys View Post
            thanks for the help old jack

after check engine light went out we continued driving the auto did not want to change down gears had to do in manual mode. we all so had both the traction control and stability lights on and had no cruise control. after stopping for the night today we had check engine light on but both the traction control and stability lights were off still no cruise control but the auto changes fine. will have to call in to the service center on the way home love that car?
            At least you were/are able to continue and get to a next town/service center and not get stuck on the road. It good to see the odd computer glitch/intermittent fault not killing the challengers dead on the road, read a review somewhere that even wiring ripped off a wheel sensor didn't kill the challenger, cold comfort I know but best of luck getting home and getting it sorted
            2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,

Comment

• PKWilson
              • Oct 2010
              • Brisbane

I've had that error before as well. It was just after going through water/mud and then onto a hill climb. The car went into limp and unfortunately I was flying out that night for a week, so I just had time to give it a quick wash and then it sat at the airport for a week.

The check engine light came straight on when I started it up after the week away and it went back into limp. I booked it in for a service a few days later. The check engine light was constantly on and it still occasionally went into limp. Then, as luck would have it, the morning of the service - no check light, no limp mode, all fine.

During the few days before the service I tried clearing the codes with Torque, but they kept coming back. I made a note of any codes that came up to let the service guys know.

They were able to read the codes and said that one of the other codes that was coming up was to do with a yaw sensor. Their explanation was that the yaw sensor might have been throwing out bad readings which was bringing down the auto transmission ECU and the CAN bus.

Comment

• cry_babys
                • Dec 2010
                • nsw

all seems fine today no warning lights on the dash and cruise control is working again will call in to dealer in orange on monday and report back any findings till then fingers crossed

Comment

• cry_babys
                  • Dec 2010
                  • nsw

called in to dealer in bathurst said they put it on the computer but they could not find any codes or other issues there advice was if it happens again go to the dealer but dont turn the car off. so we wait and see what happens

Comment

• madmik
                    • Jul 2012
                    • Melbourne

Just had exactly the same problem as the OP. Travelling from Melbourne to Sydney (in rain), stopped at Gundagai and when we went to go, check engine light, ABS, ESC lights on. I have the OBDII/Torque app which showed fault 1901 CANBUS (from memory). AT Temp also only showing 91deg C. After a quick look over everything and restart, check engine light off but other lights remained on - decided to drive on but had the loss of engine power, auto changes and no cruise control. Able to use manual shift and arrived into Sydney - being late Saturday arvo no service centres open but called out Mitsubishi Roadside Assist who sent out NRMA, who checked ECU but no faults showing. Reset the ECU and all was good. Drove on for another 2 hours without further issue. Not a great first day of our 2 week family holiday - hope that is the last we see of this fault.
                    2012 LS Auto 7 Seater, OEM nudge bar, OEM Tow bar, Thule roof racks. Phillips +100 HB LB bulbs, Century NS70 4wd battery, Bendix 4wd pads, Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/65/17, Fumoto Valve.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by madmik View Post
                      Just had exactly the same problem as the OP. Travelling from Melbourne to Sydney (in rain), stopped at Gundagai and when we went to go, check engine light, ABS, ESC lights on. I have the OBDII/Torque app which showed fault 1901 CANBUS (from memory). AT Temp also only showing 91deg C. After a quick look over everything and restart, check engine light off but other lights remained on - decided to drive on but had the loss of engine power, auto changes and no cruise control. Able to use manual shift and arrived into Sydney - being late Saturday arvo no service centres open but called out Mitsubishi Roadside Assist who sent out NRMA, who checked ECU but no faults showing. Reset the ECU and all was good. Drove on for another 2 hours without further issue. Not a great first day of our 2 week family holiday - hope that is the last we see of this fault.
                      Sounds familiar,

Mine was only fixed after every plug connection between the Engine ECU and AT ECU where disconnected, cleaned and reconnected.

Also I found ABS and ESC would not work when in fault mode.

Have a safe trip.

cheers, old Jack.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• coughy
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2014
                        • Redlands Brisbane QLD

hay old jack can u point me in the direction of the these plugs??
                        where are they located so i can do the same to mine...

"Mine was only fixed after every plug connection between the Engine ECU and AT ECU where disconnected, cleaned and reconnected."
                        cheers and ty coughy
                        My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                        New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• Lakey
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Brisbane

Just had my ABS and ESC come on yesterday. Been intermitant and is off again at moment. Also about to head off in a couple of days. Was going to take to the dealers to have a look on Monday but will wait and see if it stays off now. Just those three lights not the engine or others and does not seem to affect anything else.
                          Cheers
                          Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by coughy View Post
                            hay old jack can u point me in the direction of the these plugs??
                            where are they located so i can do the same to mine...

"Mine was only fixed after every plug connection between the Engine ECU and AT ECU where disconnected, cleaned and reconnected."
                            cheers and ty coughy
                            I would be checking plug C11;

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

• coughy
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2014
                              • Redlands Brisbane QLD

thank you oj one more question does the plugs have numbers on them so you know which ones are which??
                              because i work for a forklift company and our forktrucks do this... so it is easy to find the right plug...
                              My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                              New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X