• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redrock
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2012
    • victoria

Timing on a v6 3.0

I just read my Gregory's manual on how to check the trimming with a timing light, and I'm left confused. It's telling me to use jumper leads paper clips, telling me to remove the timing dust cover? WTF.
    Can someone break it down please
    2004 Np Exceed Lift kit, Arb Bullbar, Warn winch, UHF & HF Barrett radio, dual tanks, dual batteries Rhino Basket, Snorkel
  • FIS9076
    • Jun 2010
    • Western Sydney

The timing on the engine is ecu controlled. I Don't believe it is adjustable.

You are able to adjust idle speed and think this might be the track your heading down perhaps?

Does it talk about earthing out a plug on the firewall?

There is a single wire that is in the passage side corner on the firewall in the big beefy loom that sticks out a little and has a black connector on the end. This wire needs to be earthed out to allow the ECU to be overridden, otherwise the computer will try to adjust to maintain the setting in its memory.

Sorry if im way off track...

Comment

• redrock
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2012
      • victoria

The 3.0 u can adjust the timing
      2004 Np Exceed Lift kit, Arb Bullbar, Warn winch, UHF & HF Barrett radio, dual tanks, dual batteries Rhino Basket, Snorkel

Comment

• Bogger
        Unregistered as asked
        • May 2011

You are checking / setting base timing and as has been said you need to earth this wire as described to do this.

Comment

• redrock
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2012
          • victoria

Thanks guys I didn't read it properly thats a lot simpler than the manual I have

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2012
            • Maitland, NSW

Black connector is the fuel pump check plug. Don't earth this out.

You want the beefy brownish colored plug right next to it. Remove the blank cover off it and earth out the little pin then get your timing gun ready and start the car.
            Make sure ignition is off when connecting and disconnecting the base timing plug. Adjust dizzy a little at a time as you go. Clockwise is advancing, timing mark on crank pulley starts at T and goes in 5degree notches to the left ending at 25 (I think, or 20). Between 5-10 is the sweetspot but take it for a drive after and see how it feels, to retarded and it will lack heaps of power. Make sure engine is upto temp before adjusting the timing.

Also remove passenger side cam cover and line the cam sprocket to tdc and double check the crank pulley mark lines up directly with the timing cover T mark. If not then mark crank pulley with a whiteout marker or put a little nik in it with a blade or whatever.
            When lining cam to tdc use crank bolt to do so and go clockwise. If there's any slack at all in the belt(not that there is or should be) and you rotate counter clockwise or use cam bolt to rotate engine you can be a degree or two out.
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
            97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X