• Muzza
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Nsw

Better tyres

Up for tyres soon on my NW
    Looking at something slightly better, I was thinking
    Yokohama geolander 265/60r18 AT GO15,
    Not looking at noisy off-road tyres, just a little better, and they look very similar to what was on my old NP
    Anyone have these or have views?
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Muzza,

The G015 is not a cheap tyre with a RRP of $419 each (you should be able to get them cheaper if you shop around), this is at the expensive end of the market for passenger construction tyre with a mild AT tread pattern, for between $250 and $300 you can get similar tyre's like, Pirelli AT Plus, Hankook ATM RF10, Toyo AT 2, Bridgestone D697 all with similar specifications. Cooper and Mickey Thompson have mild AT tread pattern tyre's in passenger construction but these will cost $325 to $375 a tyre.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jkwpajero
      • Jun 2008
      • Young, NSW

I am currently running Falken Wildpeak AT3 in the stock size of 265/60/18 and have been very impressed with them. Well priced and have handled all the roads I have driven on from highway to broken, rocky outback roads, with no cuts or chips.

James
      2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• nuttyalmond
        • Apr 2014
        • Perth wa

I got 5 x yokohama geolandars A/T G015's 10 months ago from Bob jane tmarts cost $1010 that included a $100 cashback deal.
        I had geolandars previously and got 65k out of them. I tow a tandem caravan rarely go off road except for gravel and the occasional beach.

They are wearing well, very quiet on the road and excellent grip in the wet. I guess that's the difference between hard rubber and long life tyres and soft rubber and better on the bitumen. Different needs and all that.

I had a puncture over the Easter holiday and the tyres have a road hazard protection thingy for 24 months. I took the tyre to get it fixed free of charge. If the tyre is un-fixable you get a percentage of a replacement according to wear. Cant say fairer than that.

Mark
        Pajero 2012 NW gls. ECB Bullbar, Tow pro, Steinbauer module, Polyair air bags, Uniden 2 way, spv module, Provent catch can, Yokohama Geolanda G015 AT, Narva 175 lamps, Caravan rear view monitor, Ultragauge MX, Lockup mate, flashlube prefilter.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Nuttyalmond replied saying in part "I had a puncture over the Easter holiday and the tyres have a road hazard protection thingy for 24 months. I took the tyre to get it fixed free of charge. If the tyre is un-fixable you get a percentage of a replacement according to wear. Cant say fairer than that."

Not sure about these days, but in 1978 we bought a new Sigma. As soon as I drive it out of the dealer, it pulled strongly to the left. Wheel alignment was not covered by the warranty, so naturally I did a U turn and went straight back. So much for the 'test drive before delivery'... They swapped the front tyres over (L to R) and then took it for a test drive. It pulled strongly to the right. The put a caliper over the tyre carcass and there was 10 mm difference between the tyres, even thought the tyre size was nominally the same. Dunlop tyres. The dealer said we had to take it up with the Dunlop dealer....

Straight to the dealer. He agreed there was a problem and arranged for the Dunlop representative to inspect the tyre. Ultimately, they replaced the tyre with one of the same (correct) size under warranty. In the meantime, I had to leave the tyre there, so they fitted the spare tyre. Out came the spare, and the dealer noted immediately a spot of yellow paint in the centre of the tread. He then explained the manufacturing process. When the tyres come off the press, they are checked for radial and lateral (sideways) runout. Any tyres which exceed a tolerance are sprayed with a dob of yellow paint and they go into the reject bin. The rejects are then assessed and run through a buffer to try to bring them back into tolerance. This tyre had been buffed across most of the tread in one place, and there was 6.5 mm of rubber at the thinnest and 8 mm elsewhere. It was considered (by Dunlop) to be OK and sold to Mitsubishi.

The dealer offered me a pro-rata price to replace the (brand new) tyre. Since the tyre was unused, naturally it was 100%. Now, for the catch! The pro-rata price was based on the new LIST price of the tyre. I could buy a new tyre at discount price cheaper than replacing it pro-rata. I just shut up, drove the car on the Dunlops until they wore out and have never bought a Dunlop tyre again. So check up on the pro-rata offers if you are buying tyres. Maybe things are different now, but I doubt it.

Incidentally, out 2013 Outlander came with Dunlops from new, but I made sure they were made in Japan. At 800000, there is still 3 mm of tread over the wear bars, but they are noisy as hell, so they will be replaced with some other brand when the time comes.

Comment

• Roofchop
            • Jul 2018
            • Carool, Australia

800 000 or 80 000??

2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Roofchop View Post
              800 000 or 80 000??

Think he meant 8000000
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                Think he meant 8000000
                Yep. Once you hit those steel belts, rubber wear becomes non-existent.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Not often that I am right, but this time I was wrong... Yes - 80000 km

Comment

• Brivo
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Mont Albert North

Tyres

I replaced the original Geolandars ,which were very good with Falken Wildpeak At3 s.
                    The Falkens are tough ,handle well but are noisier than the Geolandars.

Comment

• Muzza
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Nsw

Originally posted by Brivo View Post
                      I replaced the original Geolandars ,which were very good with Falken Wildpeak At3 s.
                      The Falkens are tough ,handle well but are noisier than the Geolandars.
                      My NW has Dunlop AT20 Grantrek from the factory, I’m looking at the Yokohama geolander AT GO15.
                      Muzza
                      2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                      2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                      2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• nuttyalmond
                        • Apr 2014
                        • Perth wa

Hi Muzza

just for reference, when I took the tyre back for the puncture repair I knew that if it was not repairable I would be looking at a new tyre free of charge because it less that 50% wear. However I measured the tread depth on the unused spare and the one on the rear with the nail. The difference was 1.5mm less in the centre. The tyre had done 10,000 kms, mainly bitumen, 5% towing a tandem 19' 6 jayco.

Mark
                        Pajero 2012 NW gls. ECB Bullbar, Tow pro, Steinbauer module, Polyair air bags, Uniden 2 way, spv module, Provent catch can, Yokohama Geolanda G015 AT, Narva 175 lamps, Caravan rear view monitor, Ultragauge MX, Lockup mate, flashlube prefilter.

Comment

• LukeMS
                          • Dec 2017
                          • Vic

I've just put some falken at3ws on the car - I'm very happy with them! I read a bunch of reviews and people seem to think they are a really good tire.

This is the first set of AT tires I've had. I was worried they would be much noiser on the freeway, however I found any noise increase was almost impossible to notice. They car handles nicely with the new tires and I did some offroading in the mud last weekend and was quite happy.

I bumped up the size from the 260s that came fitted with the car to 265s on my new falkens. I'm liking the larger size! One caveat is, I've fitted a plate to raise the spare on the back, so it clears my towball. With the larger size tire the plastic spare wheel cover doesn't fit properly! You can't quite do up the screws that hold the cover in place as it bumps into the tire. Fortunately this will only be a problem if you have both raised the spare and buy 265s.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2017
                            • Sydney

I read good things about the AT3W too but you can’t get them in LT rating can you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 11T.Co
                              • Oct 2013
                              • Brisbane

I don't know what rating you're after but I ended up with Falken tyres as well after finding out good prices from Tyroola and getting a price match from an established brick and mortar tyre shop.

Supercheapauto also handles tyres under an agreement with Tyroola.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X