• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HaydenT
    • Mar 2012
    • Burwood

NM Stock Bull Bar winch mod

Hey guys
    Just purchased a tigerz11 12000lb winch the other day and it cant be easily mounted to the stock bull bar on my NM. I really would like to keep the alloy bull bar as i had already done mods to it (Addition of 10mm thick support ribs welded along the internals). In order to keep the the bar i will have to make some thick steel brackets that run from the two hitch points (eyelets connected to the chassis) and raise up to create a platform to mount the winch on. I will also have to cut and weld an aluminium support to the front of the bull bar to fit the cable guide. In theory all the load should be distributed to the chassis via the steel brackets behind the bull bar and only side ways force applied to the bull bar when winching at tight angles. I have done the maths and the brackets will need to be a minimum of 10.667mm steel but over engineering is always better so more like 1/2 inch steel.

Has anyone attempted anything like this? What are your thoughts?
    9 stage adjustable Tough Dog 2" Lift, 33" MT's & 31" AT's, Custom bash plate and sump guards, UHF, 12000lb Winch, Bullbar, LED Interior, Rear cargo draws and barrier, Rock sliders, Scrub bars, Air Compressor & 19L tank, Flat roof rack, Lightforce 240 Blitz', Boost gauge, Upgraded turbo 15T, EGR Mods, Custom top mount intercooler with in out temp gauge, plenty of battle scars
  • Herman4x4
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Melton, Victoria

G'day Hayden,
    There have been a few that have made or bought a winch cradle that sits behind the bar and between the two chasis rails,, and I think the fairlead is on this as well, so there is nothing attached to the bull bar. Gus is one person who has it set up well. With welds, remember to make sure they are good strong ones as the forces applied when winching can be huge, but it sounds like you know engineering, so tha shoul be all good.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
    Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Gus
      Administrator
      • Mar 2008
      • Traralgon. Vic

Hayden seen you sound like your handy knock a winch mount up for yourself similar to this:

It mounts to the chassis:

Mines a genuine TJM 1 which are no longer available.. The winch is mounted to it:

As you said on a straight line pull no worries at all on the angle yes if you don't support the alloy bar it will twist/bend as you need to, (If mounting the H/fairlead to the alloy bar itself & not the winch mount),have steel brace between bar & Mount..

Gus.

VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Catchin Jack
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2012
        • Central Coast NSW

You reckon that type of bracket would work with smart bar fitted Gus?

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by Catchin Jack View Post
          You reckon that type of bracket would work with smart bar fitted Gus?
          Can't see why not as long as the winch is mounted to the cradle.. & support/reinforce the bar..
          In saying that I'd be checking with the manufactures of the smart bar as they may have a winch kit for the NM..

Gus

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• AJC
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2009
            • ACT

Hey Gus, no chance you took exact menasurements befroe installing it?

Would love to put it into a CAD and reverse design so i could have one custom made.
            Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• Gus
              Administrator
              • Mar 2008
              • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by AJC View Post
              Hey Gus, no chance you took exact menasurements befroe installing it?

Would love to put it into a CAD and reverse design so i could have one custom made.

I wish I had.. Sorry mate..

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• AJC
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2009
                • ACT

Originally posted by Gus View Post

I wish I had.. Sorry mate..

Gus.
                No worries...when that big boomer lines you up and gives you a nice new insurance bar, remember to measure up when its off the car!
                Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• HaydenT
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Burwood

Hey guys thanks for the info, this is what i came up with. For the entire construction i used 10mm X 50mm solid plate. (6 metre length cost me about $40)

I copied the original bull bar mounts using the 10mm plate for better strength. You can see this in the first few photos.

Then bolted the new mounts in and placed two lengths of plate between the left and right mount.

Then I measured the clearance and mounting position of the winch. This wasn't a one man job, it took me and a mate a lot of stuffing round lifting the bull bar on and off to get it correct. I forgot to take photos for a while but the next photos show the final product.

Also whacked up a quick 5mm thick sump/bash plate while I was all it. Should be a bit more rugged than the plastic one that it came with.
                  Attached Files
                  9 stage adjustable Tough Dog 2" Lift, 33" MT's & 31" AT's, Custom bash plate and sump guards, UHF, 12000lb Winch, Bullbar, LED Interior, Rear cargo draws and barrier, Rock sliders, Scrub bars, Air Compressor & 19L tank, Flat roof rack, Lightforce 240 Blitz', Boost gauge, Upgraded turbo 15T, EGR Mods, Custom top mount intercooler with in out temp gauge, plenty of battle scars

Comment

• HaydenT
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Burwood

Some more pics
                    Attached Files

Comment

• HaydenT
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Burwood

Photos
                      Attached Files

Comment

• HaydenT
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Burwood

The Final product. Took a total of 4 hours over 3 days.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Bergman
                          • Jul 2011
                          • Mareeba, Queensland

Nice job mate, now you can do one for my alloy ECB bar

Comment

• HaydenT
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Burwood

Bergman, thanks mate.

All depends on how much space you have behind the alloy bar. By the look of ECB bars, the winch mount would be pretty similar to mine. But you would have to use a plasma cutter to slot the cable out of the front of the bar which may damage the stability of the bar! I was lucky that the stock bar had the slot at the perfect height.

But where there's a will theres a way...

Comment

• peejay68au
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • nsw

Originally posted by HaydenT View Post
                              But you would have to use a plasma cutter to slot the cable out of the front of the bar which may damage the stability of the bar! I was lucky that the stock bar had the slot at the perfect height.
                              My ecb bar has a slot, it hides under the number plate.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X