• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willneill
    • Mar 2019
    • Melbourne

Provent or Flashlube catch can

I spoke to a mechanic today about fitting a catch can. I had decided on fitting the Provent but they only deal with Flashlube. When I asked if they can fit a Provent can she said it's the same thing, just another brand both made by Mann & Hummel... perhaps I misinterpreted? I can't find any thing online that suggests Flashlube is made by Mann & Hummel.
    2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OzTec shocks & raised King springs,Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17,OEM nudge bar, BushSkinz bash plates, BushSkinz side steps, ARB alloy rack, ARB awning, Ultra Vision light bar, Uniden comms, 100AH lithium battery and 30L Dometic fridge, custom drawers, work in progress...
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Looking at the pictures, they're not the same. Flashlube claims their product is better than the ProVent 200 - as they would. Why would Flashlube claim theirs is superior, if it really is the same product?

Ask her to provide evidence in writing to confirm what she has told you.

If she cannot prove that what she says is true then she may be guilty of making a misrepresentation during contract negotiations - which is illegal.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• willneill
      • Mar 2019
      • Melbourne

Adding onto this I was told that the 4M41 isn't necessarily prone to the issue of the build up in the manifold. The triton engine is a different story. Although not a bad idea to do the maintenance and keep it clean, probably isn't totally necessary until 200k plus. This is however dependent on the type of driving you do and the fuel you're using. Alarm bells are ringing with this mob.
      2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OzTec shocks & raised King springs,Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17,OEM nudge bar, BushSkinz bash plates, BushSkinz side steps, ARB alloy rack, ARB awning, Ultra Vision light bar, Uniden comms, 100AH lithium battery and 30L Dometic fridge, custom drawers, work in progress...

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by willneill View Post
        Adding onto this I was told that the 4M41 isn't necessarily prone to the issue of the build up in the manifold. The triton engine is a different story. Although not a bad idea to do the maintenance and keep it clean, probably isn't totally necessary until 200k plus. This is however dependent on the type of driving you do and the fuel you're using. Alarm bells are ringing with this mob.

And alarm bells should ring as they have no idea wehat they are talking about. Buy the provent and have a mate help you fit it...its not really hard. Even ask on here if any one is local and could give you a hand for a couple of dollars, a beer or just as a good deed. Good luck.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

I'm with Dicko - run away.

They don't know what they're talking about - either they're too stupid to know what they don't know, or they're lying to you to cover that they don't know.

Either way, not a company to trust with your hard-earned money.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• willneill
            • Mar 2019
            • Melbourne

So called another stockist and they confirmed that the Flashlube can is made by Mann & Hummel. It's a licensing thing and apparently on the packaging says it's Mann & Hummel.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

So called another stockist and they confirmed that the Flashlube can is made by Mann & Hummel. It's a licensing thing and apparently on the packaging says it's Mann & Hummel.

I dont care about the manufacture of the unit. I was more concerned with stating that the Paj motor wasn,t prone to gunk build up. Ring around and get quotes too fit...buy the unit your self.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

It may be made by Mann & Hummel, but it is not "the same thing". Looks different, Flashlube publish graphs to claim that it performs better. Not "the same thing" - calling it "the same thing" is simply wrong.

If the mob you're dealing with were any good at what they do their sales spiel should be "The Flashlube product is manufactured by Mann & Hummel to Flashlube specifications, and out-performs the ProVent 200."

Not "it's the same thing."

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Two Emms
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2020
                  • Mansfield, Vic

I would avoid this mob. They clearly have no idea.

I have a provent and it was really easy to fit. If you have enough mechanical skills to fit a radiator hose, you can fit a provent.
                  2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Two Emms
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2020
                    • Mansfield, Vic

I got mine from western filters. Good price and very helpful on the phone.
                    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

It looks like a fine filter the flash lube i thnk.

One thing though, if this mob is the rite price for a replacement filter element OUCH !

I could be wrong as i don't own one yet, but i think Provent is bad enough @ $70 odd.
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• neilo
                        • Feb 2008

I put a HPD catch can in mine I don't have to buy filters. Very easy to empty and clean. Dearer but worth it
                        NW diesel auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X