• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Auto-mate during dealership servicing

What do you do with regards to your auto-mate during dealership servicing? Do you hide the LED behind the pillar and unplug the unit from the OBD port? Or you don't bother to hide it?
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • Ozzz
    • May 2019
    • Brisbane

Hi I just got your message. I will leave it as it is , but hide all obd wires and tell the dealership thats my blindspot camera.
    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

Hi, you mean leaving the OBD connected to auto-mate and LED on the pillar?
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Ozzz
        • May 2019
        • Brisbane

my bad. unplug the obd as well. we need to get all settings back to factory default.
        My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• dreamerman
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2009
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Ozzz View Post
          my bad. unplug the obd as well. we need to get all settings back to factory default.
          I think I read somewhere here that once unplugged all settings go back to default. No need to reset it.

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Unplug the OBDII and that's it. I don't bother trying to hide the switch.

Even then, if I forgot to unplug the OBD, which I have done, they assume it's only the Ultra Gauge anyway and have no idea that there's another plug attached which is tucked up amongst the wiring above.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pwoffey
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Adelaide

I leave both the ScanGauge and the Lockup-Mate plugged in. The techs at my dealership always hand the car back with both re-plugged in. Never a problem. (Hmmm...maybe they simply don't use the OBDI port and just use guesswork to trouble-shoot .) I originally advised the service manager that the Paj has a TC lockup kit and maybe they have it noted on their database so the techs are always forewarned. The only thing I remove before a service is the SPV EGR thinggy. I once left it in by mistake, the techs told me later they removed it for the small quantity learning (or maybe to replace the air filter, not sure) and then re-inserted it. Whether the service manager knew about this probably illegal action I don't know. I don't want to make anyone else complicit so I try to remember to remove it.
              BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

I've done the same with my EGR module. They never mentioned it but I try and remember to remove it each time.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• dreamerman
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • Sydney

I have a checklist for stuff to do before servicing:

1-Remove EGR module
                  2-Replace K&N panel filter (also to spray the MAF to make sure there is no tell-tale signs of oil - just be sure) with stock filter
                  3-Drain catch-can
                  4-Inspect fuel filter
                  5-Remove OBDII bluetooth unit (for Torque Pro)

I have not decided whether to install the auto-mate or to sell it. My plan to tow fell through. The unit is still new in box.
                  Last edited by dreamerman; 27-04-20, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

It's not just great for towing. Try driving on a country road or in fact any road which is flat and then has an incline. It doesn't need to be steep but as the car start to go up, you see the revs increases and it feels like the car has dropped back a gear. In fact, all it's done is stay in 5th and spin the TC, increasing trans temp. Do the same with Auto Mate activated and the car just cruises up with the TC locked and stays in 5th. It makes a big difference to the feel of the car and is worth the cost, towing or not in my opinion.

Of course, if the incline is steep enough and the car needs to kick back a gear, Auto mate will do that and maintain the locked TC, only going back to 5th when it's OK to do so.

You can always take it out again if you aren't happy with it and then sell it but since you already have it, you may as well give it a go.

Comment

• dreamerman
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                      You can always take it out again if you aren't happy with it and then sell it but since you already have it, you may as well give it a go.
                      Thanks Ian, I have not yet decided to install or not as I am not sure of the cost vs benefit of having auto-mate installed when I won't be towing. Of course you are right about me already having the kit. As it is I am also not sure why I hesitate to install it

Comment

• Mundy55
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Gold Coast

There's another long thread in which these questions, amongst others, were discussed at length (https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=66739).

M_and_M, the manufacturer of the Automate, advised me that if you want to return the vehicle's control system when taking in for service to merely remove the splitter from the OBDII port. You can then just tuck the splitter in the back of the centre console.

Dreamerman, it took me a couple of months to finally decide to install. My main concern was how long it would take me to do the install and about cutting the wires to the ECU. The above link helped, as did the youtube video by Denmonkey (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9AgA-Kuxzs). Working in, around and under the dash is awkward but the install is quite easy. Definitely worth doing for all the reasons in the thread.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          It's not just great for towing. Try driving on a country road or in fact any road which is flat and then has an incline. It doesn't need to be steep but as the car start to go up, you see the revs increases and it feels like the car has dropped back a gear. In fact, all it's done is stay in 5th and spin the TC, increasing trans temp. Do the same with Auto Mate activated and the car just cruises up with the TC locked and stays in 5th. It makes a big difference to the feel of the car and is worth the cost, towing or not in my opinion.

Of course, if the incline is steep enough and the car needs to kick back a gear, Auto mate will do that and maintain the locked TC, only going back to 5th when it's OK to do so.

Spot on. Just because you do not tow does not mean the unit is not a good idea. Highway use, long drives and driving in hilly country all will be easier. I turn mine of in 60kph zones but on again once I,m in 75kph or higher zones..
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• DT6061
                            • May 2015
                            • Tea Gardens

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                            I have a checklist for stuff to do before servicing:

1-Remove EGR module
                            2-Replace K&N panel filter (also to spray the MAF to make sure there is no tell-tale signs of oil - just be sure) with stock filter
                            3-Drain catch-can
                            4-Inspect fuel filter
                            5-Remove OBDII bluetooth unit (for Torque Pro)

I have not decided whether to install the auto-mate or to sell it. My plan to tow fell through. The unit is still new in box.
                            Why do you have a K&N filter ? Do you consider it more effective than the stock Mitsubishi filter?
                            2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by DT6061 View Post
                              Why do you have a K&N filter ? Do you consider it more effective than the stock Mitsubishi filter?

I also have a k&n but it is only for around town and highway driving. they do let a little more air in . However I wouldnt use it for offroading. They will let coarser dust in. Mine also fits well with no gaps in the air box. Would I list it as a good thing? Probably not...It does the job I bought it for .
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X