Below Nav Bar

Collapse

(old) Defender shape not "distinctive" enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomwithannl
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

(old) Defender shape not "distinctive" enough.

Tom
    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
    1953 Morris Minor ute
    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
    2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic
  • JoshF
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Brisbane

How do you protect a rectangle shape when Jeep and Mercedes also use the boxy approach. It is n't unique
    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Scrambler
      • Jul 2018
      • Toowoomba, Qld

I think that's marketing madness by Land Rover.

The shape of the (original) Land Rover was based on what could most easily be hand-built from aluminium sheeting.

Ineos have simply gone down the same design road: cheapest, simplest, most practical. It's steel, they want some extra functions (some proper width to the rear door) and no part of that is correct for a Defender. Everything is wrong from the overhangs to the body shape to the square rather than curved waistline. But if you build a vehicle using the same broad conceptions it looks something similar. You could almost as easily argue it is based on a first-generation Nissan Patrol.

But now LR have said that THEY think it's a Defender copy. And for Ineos that's gold.

The car most likely to lose share to this is the Wrangler. This is a Wrangler Rubicon with actual cargo and towing capacity. The other threats are twin cab utes. It definitely isn't a threat to Land Rover in the market, only to LR's hopes to market their techno-Range-Rover-Defender with photos of the 1940s originals.
      =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
      =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• Having Fun
        • Jun 2015
        • Adelaide

Everything I've read indicates that the original Land Rover was based on a Willy's Jeep (sample) https://www.motoringresearch.com/sli...over-defender/

The original Patrol & Land Cruiser are both loosely based on the Land Rover.

So. they're all based on a Jeep.

Just my take on it. Others will likely disagree.

Comment

• Seigried
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2016
          • brisbane

Yup and the land cruiser name was chosen because it sounded like land rover. Toyota engineers have admitted that one in a doco or 2.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X