• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

One for the Gen 3 boys

Got this in an email today, you boys might be able to set him straight. Not diff lock but trouble changing from 4h to 2wd etc. 2nd opinion always good.......

I am hoping that you are in a position to help me. My wife and I are from Australia but we came to Kenya 14 years ago to set up an orphanage for over 200 children. We live in Kenya full-time.

I imported had a 2002 model Pajero direct from Japan to Kenya. (V75W)

It is a 3.5 L GDI with a 6G 74 engine.

Unfortunately, the Kenyan mechanics do not know a lot about these vehicles. Hence the reason I am writing to you to see if either you or some of your members may be able to help me.

Let me try and describe what is happening.

As I am slowing down to a roundabout or a speed bump, there is a noise that comes from the left-hand front hub that is a winding down type noise. The slower you slow the vehicle the more you can hear the noise. When I almost stop you can hear this winding down noise more clearly, then upon stopping, there will be a click or a clunk, sounding like something just locked in or unlocked itself. When you take off the noise is the same but it is a winding up noise.

Someone told me that it sounds like the differential lock. He says, that when I am slowing down the differential lock is trying to lock in, and upon stopping it does lock in. Then powering on, it unlocks itself and then begins to wind up as the speed increases. But it does not stay for long as you get faster.

Could you please share this with your members to see if anyone has an idea of what may be happening. I am sorry to come to you for this, it's just that I cannot find any help anywhere.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards
    Ralph Spinks

Managing Director

EAMO

Find us on Facebook : EAMO Orphanage

East African Mission Orphanage (EAMO)
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • t0ne
    • Jun 2010
    • Adelaide

It is the 4WD wheel sensor behind the wheel....

$30 part and easy to replace
    2005 NP MY06 DiD Auto Exceed, Nudge bar, IPF spot lights, rear DVD for the kids.(being added) long range tank, poly airs, heavy duty springs, dual battery, slotted rotors. New van: 2013 Jayco starcraft 22.68.1

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by t0ne View Post
      It is the 4WD wheel sensor behind the wheel....

$30 part and easy to replace
      What 4WD sensor behind the wheel? Do you mean the diff engagement sensor on the front diff? Or the ABS wheel speed sensor?

Dave, what we need is for him to join the forum / thread so we can ask a few questions - such as does he have any flashing dash lights? THere are heaps of threads on this issue.

Pat
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• t0ne
        • Jun 2010
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by psproule View Post
        What 4WD sensor behind the wheel? Do you mean the diff engagement sensor on the front diff? Or the ABS wheel speed sensor?

Pat

No idea which sensor, as i work for a car yard and have done a couple of these under warranty...

Just now i have driven a few of them with this noise and was told that it was a faulty sensor...
        2005 NP MY06 DiD Auto Exceed, Nudge bar, IPF spot lights, rear DVD for the kids.(being added) long range tank, poly airs, heavy duty springs, dual battery, slotted rotors. New van: 2013 Jayco starcraft 22.68.1

Comment

• Davie
          • Mar 2011
          • Scotland

Had this noise on my 2003 model. Does the winding noise clicks into place when you stop?. Before you stop try putting it into 4 wheel drive, if it goes away the it's the two sensors in front of the airbox. I was told to spray cleaner and silicone spray inside them & not had the noise again. The noise is the sensors trying to engage 4 wheel drive, whilst your in 2 wheel drive. If it's not this then not to sure! Hope this helps
          2003 DID Shogun, 10mm Alloy bash plates, OME suspension, sliders, Set of BFG AT 265x70x16 & 235x70x16 Insa Special Track Extreme muds.

Comment

• Handy Andy
            • May 2010
            • Brisbane

wheel noise /clunk,click

gidday Pat and Dave
            My 2003 NM 3.5 auto had exactly this same symptom and it turned out to be the two vaccum solenoids, which is probably what "Davie" is referring to behind the air box. Mine didnt do it in 4wd and the noise was intermittent .
            Some of the members pointed out 4wd was the default and as the solenoid that holds it in 2wd ( stopping the axles engaging the front diff) fails or vaccum leaks the car trys to engage 4wd as you slow down, and as you roll to a stop mine would simply go "clunk" and it engages 4wd.
            Can only tell you what happened with mine for what its worth
            Andy

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Only two scenario's I can think of here. Either diff activation (flashing light syndrome) or wheel bearing. Unfortunately the email is a little devoid of information to pin point the solution.

Shane.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• my.paj
                • Dec 2010
                • Tullamarine

If it was a bearing it would stay all the time ? does it have traction control.
                Rick
                Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• gjh1967
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Lake Macquarie

I would say wheel bearing straight up.

Put the vehicle on stands with the lower control arm free and check for play.

My 2 bobs worth

Off to PNG for work tomorrow (Oh im sooo excited---not)
                  There's a few GDI's in PNG from what ive seen

Cheers Glenn
                  2003 NP 3.2 DI-D LWB 5spd-DVD Entertainment unit-Narva 175 blue's-Side Steps-Uniden UHO15SX-Garmin GPS16 and Oziexplorer-ARB On Board air-Polyairs-Airtek Snorkel-Khumo KL78's-Headrest DVD players- Ironman Lift kit- 12000lb winch- Dual Batteries - Redarc isolator-Bushskinz intercooler guard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X