• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Considering taking 2.5t poptop caravan onto Fraser island

Hello,

We are planning on visiting Fraser Island for the first time at the end of this year.

We have a Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3 OB caravan, which is an outback model, so raised suspension, believe it has more ground clearance than the Pajero Sport we use to tow it.

We will be going with other family friends who have been there many times before (one regularly takes their 16 foot expanda, single axle).

I am a little worried about towing and possibly getting stuck in the sand getting to/from the ferry at Inskip Point.

Has anyone successfully towed a dual axle or 2.5 tonne caravan onto Fraser Island and can provide feedback?

Our tow vehicle is a Pajero Sport with BF Goodrich T/A KO2 18" tyres, with standard suspension.

I am considering adding underbody protection to the Pajero Sport and maybe upgrading the suspension/adding a lift too.

Just looking at some feedback and advice.

Otherwise was thinking about staying in accommodation this first time to get a feel for the place and may try with the caravan another year.

Thank you!
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

Is that 2.5 loaded?

I was there in May '17 and after light rain in the week prior (and during at times). I have a Pajero and was towing a TVAN. Inskip was perhaps the softest section in all of the Fraser experience with most of Fraser being reasonably hard packed. However, conditions can be markedly different particularly the hotter it gets and you've mentioned "end of the year". Your concerns are valid but getting the feel on one trip won't necessarily relate to the conditions you can expect the next trip. An alternative would be to come across via Kingfisher.
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I have not towed a caravan on Fraser Island, and am not likely to do so, but I make the comment that you are going with another couple with a single axle Expanda van. That van won't weigh much less than yours, yet at 17.5 ft, I expect that your van will have dual axles, which means that if anyone is going to get stuck, it will most likely be your friend's single axle van before your's does.

Comment

• Brownie
        • Nov 2008
        • Brisbane

Have a look at the Facebook page "I got bogged at Inskip Point". There is a theme - vehicles towing anything tend to get featured getting bogged. If you have a lot of experience towing on sand, then go for it. If not very experienced, it would be best to have at least one mate, but preferably two, who are not towing, and are prepared to assist if you get bogged. Know how to use your recovery gear, have all your own recovery gear, and actually practise using it. Plan your trip to Fraser to arrive about an hour before low tide to get to the ferry at Inskip Pt. This will give you 2 hours to get to the ferry, cross the strait, and get around the southern tip of Fraser Island. Once on the main eastern beach, its all pretty easy as the sand is firm, just keep a good lookout for the little creek crossings and slow down. When returning home, plan to be at the Inkip ferry at dead low tide.

You could take the other ferry that lands at Kingfisher Bay, which is easy to get on and off, but then you have to drag a largish van across the inland tracks to get to the main eastern beach. If you met a large tour bus on one of these tracks, its going to be difficult - the bus drivers do try and push everyone off the track - they rarely yield. I tow, and prefer the Inskip ferry as its only a couple of kilometres of soft sand and then its all easy. The inland tracks can be tough if your towing - they can be soft in places, narrow with tight bends, and then add oncoming traffic to the mix; this option then becomes the harder route.
        Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
        Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
          Have a look at the Facebook page "I got bogged at Inskip Point". There is a theme - vehicles towing anything tend to get featured getting bogged. If you have a lot of experience towing on sand, then go for it. If not very experienced, it would be best to have at least one mate, but preferably two, who are not towing, and are prepared to assist if you get bogged. Know how to use your recovery gear, have all your own recovery gear, and actually practise using it. Plan your trip to Fraser to arrive about an hour before low tide to get to the ferry at Inskip Pt. This will give you 2 hours to get to the ferry, cross the strait, and get around the southern tip of Fraser Island. Once on the main eastern beach, its all pretty easy as the sand is firm, just keep a good lookout for the little creek crossings and slow down. When returning home, plan to be at the Inkip ferry at dead low tide.

You could take the other ferry that lands at Kingfisher Bay, which is easy to get on and off, but then you have to drag a largish van across the inland tracks to get to the main eastern beach. If you met a large tour bus on one of these tracks, its going to be difficult - the bus drivers do try and push everyone off the track - they rarely yield. I tow, and prefer the Inskip ferry as its only a couple of kilometres of soft sand and then its all easy. The inland tracks can be tough if your towing - they can be soft in places, narrow with tight bends, and then add oncoming traffic to the mix; this option then becomes the harder route.
          What he said.^^ And don't be afraid to drop your tyre pressures, including the van, to around 12-15psi to get on and off the barge, and make sure you have a compressor with you to re inflate.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• jared01
            • Dec 2016
            • Sydney

Thanks for all the feedback!

Our caravan is about 2t unloaded and 2.5t maximum and is a dual axle.

Our friends caravan is a single axle.

How come they would have more change of getting bogged? Is it because their caravan weight is only spread over 2 wheels and not 4 like ours?

I have a shovel, compressor, weight equalising strap and snatch strap but need to but probably 4 X maxtrax and then I think I have everything I may need.

We also use a WDH.

Leaning more towards trying to take the van the first time and see how we go.

Sounds like good advice to arrive those hours early at the ferry!

I wasn't aware of the other ways onto the island and possible inland road traffic problems.

I would let the pressure down in all tyres caravan included to around 18 or so before attempting Inskip.

I also saw that Facebook page and got a Little turned off trying because of it.
            2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• Nab
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
              I would let the pressure down in all tyres caravan included to around 18 or so before attempting Inskip.

I also saw that Facebook page and got a Little turned off trying because of it.
              I would start lower than that, no more than 15psi or Paj and caravan. From m the videos I’ve seen it a notoriously soft stretch, you can pump them up once you’re past the buggy section if you are worried about it.
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                I would start lower than that, no more than 15psi on Paj and caravan. From the videos I’ve seen it a notoriously soft stretch, you can pump them up once you’re past the buggy section if you are worried about it.
                Nab is correct, go straight to 15psi, 3 psi is a huge difference in tyre pressure when it comes to soft sand, footprint length is critical.

Thread on sand recovery.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• jared01
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

Noted regarding tyre pressure.

Getting to the ferry via Inskip point, is the only "difficult" section the last few hundred metres or is the sandy/dirt section (which I can't see very much on YouTube/Google maps) also another section that is of concern regarding possibly of getting bogged?

Also was I thinking along the right lines regarding my thoughts in response to why a single axle caravan may get bogged easier than dual?

Appreciate the feedback so far.

Alas would 4 X maxtrax (2 pairs) instead of one pair would be a good idea to purchase? And if I got bogged, would I put them under all 4 car tyres if I still couldn't get out from digging the sand away from the tyres?

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Comments in your post below.

OJ.

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
                    Noted regarding tyre pressure.

Getting to the ferry via Inskip point, is the only "difficult" section the last few hundred metres or is the sandy/dirt section (which I can't see very much on YouTube/Google maps) also another section that is of concern regarding possibly of getting bogged?
                    I have not been to Fraser Island for over 30 years, but I do do a lot of soft sand driving both coastal and desert. My advice is drop your tyre pressures to 15psi and leave them there for the whole time. Limit your speed on the hard beaches to 40kph.

Also was I thinking along the right lines regarding my thoughts in response to why a single axle caravan may get bogged easier than dual?
                    Duel axle is less likely to get bogged because the weight is spread over the 4 tyres instead of 2, also the front tyres will compact the sand slightly for the rear tyres. Dragging 2.5 ton in soft sand is hard work, maintaining momentum without wheel spin is critical.

Appreciate the feedback so far.

Alas would 4 X maxtrax (2 pairs) instead of one pair would be a good idea to purchase? And if I got bogged, would I put them under all 4 car tyres if I still couldn't get out from digging the sand away from the tyres?
                    Digging alone is a waste of time in soft sand, go straight to Maxtrax under all 4 wheels if you are shallow bogged, if you are bogged down to the floorpan you either have to dig a lot and get the Maxtrax under the wheels and dig so the floorpan clear or the quicker and easily option is to jack each wheel up, fill the hole in and insert the Maxtrax under the the wheel.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Andythiing
                      • May 2019
                      • Adelaide Hills

Hi Jared I did Fraser once before 10 years ago in a land cruiser - we left our van and glad we did - inskip point is a tough section but other parts on the island can be quite tough and inland is narrow and offen was busy when we where there. I’m going again in July with three other cars - they will all be towing - 2 jayco wind ups and a camper trailer - we will be leaving our penguin outback behind and just take the oztent onto Fraser for 7 days - I expect to be the recovery vehicle and am happy to not have headache of van - if two of you going seriously look at pooling facilities - one van for kitchen etc and then tent along side - tag team will reduce stress for all - it’s doable but expect delays and some frustration if it’s busy - again only been once so not super experienced but I know I was glad not to be towing 10 years ago - it’s a must see destination - I’ll post up about our experiences in July with others towing
                      SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
                      2 inch lift
                      ARB bar and snorkel
                      Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

• Alex86
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Here and there

Is the wheel track on your van the same as your car??

If they are, the trailer runs in the same line (and compressed sand) that your car wheels have gone through. If not, you are dragging them thru the soft stuff too, making it harder.

If you slow and slow to the point that you won’t make it, stop. Don’t spin the wheels. Go backwards over the sand you just compressed- then try going forward again. Try a different ratio and/or gear.
                        Spinning the wheels equals sinking deeper which equals harder recovery.
                        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Pauno
                          • Dec 2012
                          • Newcastle

I was there last month and watched all the YouTube clips on inskip point so let my tyres down to 18psi and it was easy. Reason was they had rain a few days earlier. I could have put them up once on Fraser but didn’t bother.

I didn’t have a van in tow but had my Pajero loaded up the family and stuff for a +3 week holiday so had a car full with fridge plus plus suitcases on the roof. I found the driving on the beach easier than what I drive on local beaches in the middle of summer so that wasn’t the hard part.

The poyungan rocks bypass would be interesting with a big van as it’s pretty steep going up on the southern section but the rocks had been covered with sand on the northern part so that would make it easier.

Now to the inland tracks. They are well well warn. Spoke to a guy there who had been going for 15yrs and he said he had never seen them like it before. The buses won’t give way and there isn’t too much room for a car to give way in many places let alone a car and van without getting bogged Everytime.

Coming out of kingfisher if you came from that side was getting pretty chewed up going east but it was passable so if you used that and stuck to the main roads it’s possible.

Don’t go anywhere near the other inland tracks with the van. Lake wabby to lake Mackenzie is brutal due to exposed tree roots, parts around lake Mackenzie are the same but it’s the big holes after the rain. All drivable but a long slow drive. Took 2.5hrs from lake wabby to lake Mackenzie and it’s about 25km so slow going in parts.

If your staying on the east side go hard at inskip point and make sure you hit Fraser just before low tide so you can make it where your going on the hard sand. I tow a 1.5t boat and drive it on the beach to launch it from time to time. I would take it on with the boat as long as I had friends for backup. Not sure I saw much on fraser that would have been over 1.5-2t.

Hope this helps
                          Last edited by Pauno; 06-06-19, 08:31 PM.
                          NW Exceed

Comment

• Lost1
                            • Dec 2013
                            • Melbourne

Inskip Point video's have a lot of tools with high tyre pressures. It can be a bit soft around the time you are going. If you could pick up a set of cheap 17 or 16 inch rims, they would be better suited off road. Managing tyre pressures at that time of year will be important.

I run 33" AT tyres which helps a bit in those types of conditions. A set of 32" tyres would help, but your Torque Converter will unlock more frequently when running taller tyres. Pro's and con's to think about there.

Like others have said base camp on the eastern side. Somewhere just south of Indian Head should be good. The tracks across the island are usually chopped up at the best of times. At Xmas with the heat and traffic the tracks will be in poor condition. I wouldn't risk trying to get a van that big past Indian Head or similar bypass tracks. Best to reduce the stress levels and day trip from your base camp.

Plan your arrival and departure around the tides (low tide specifically). It's a great place, enjoy your trip.
                            09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X