• Gremblin
    • Jul 2012
    • brisbane

aftermarket ecu

any one using an aftermarket ecu?
  • dolphin
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008

i did buy an aftermarket ecu when i owned my NH and it worked just as good as the genuine $2000 job, i paid $600 for mine on an exchange basis.
    most of the time the fault in these ecu,s is the Diodes swell at the tops and to have them replaced only costs a few dollars plus some soldering work .
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
      i did buy an aftermarket ecu when i owned my NH and it worked just as good as the genuine $2000 job, i paid $600 for mine on an exchange basis.
      most of the time the fault in these ecu,s is the Diodes swell at the tops and to have them replaced only costs a few dollars plus some soldering work .

not sure I get the idea of your ecu, was it an aftermarket - remanufactured ecu ( a stock one that has be rebuilt by an aftermarket company) or an aftermarket unit like motec, megasquirt, haltec etc.
      Personally I am having issues at the moment with my engine transplant and the immobiliser, I have read (from the likes of evoscan ad tatrix) that the NL ecu is flashable (chipset is MH7203FA as is some of the evo 6's) and I am looking at getting the cable etc to flash out the immobiliser. I have read other reports that the pajero ecu however is un flashable so one of my options is an afermarket ecu (such as motec, haltec megasquirt etc) and as such am watching this thread for replies
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Gremblin
        • Jul 2012
        • brisbane

i was interested to see if any one was using an aftermarket ecu such as the brands above, reason being getting the most out of any slight upgrades, was also under the impression that the stock ecu is fixed and not able to tinker with the tune settings

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

my hours of research (I kid you not) have come to these few pliable conclusions.

1 no one elsewhere really cares what us pajero owners may want to do so there is no real information on our ecu's

2 our ecu is pretty much an evo 6.5 unit with a tune for our engines.... one of the many sites I found that stipulates information to this tune is here >> http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflas...o-6-5-tme.html where one of the chaos states this.

This part is very important for flashing The TME Ecu:

"7203 ECUs (Evo6.5 TME) Most Evo5/6 ecus use the 7202 cpu. But some late model 6.5s switched to the 7203 cpu. If you are unsure which cpu you have, you should open the case and check the writing on the cpu(large square chip).If the cpu reads MH7202F, you are fine.

If the cpu reads MH7203FA, you need to change the <memmodel> in the 25570100.xml file.
          Change:
          <memmodel>H8539F</memmodel> to <memmodel>H8539FA</memmodel>
          Be sure to switch it back if Flashing another 5/6 ecu. Flashing with the incorrect <memmodel> may brick the ecu, so care should be taken."
          I have read this information in many places regarding the MH7203FA chipset which is the chipset in my unit.

3 The Evo 4 has the same sort of ecu but an older unflashable chipset, the evo chaps get around this but installing an Evo 5/6 ecu which has the same pinouts, (from my MM investigations most these pinouts are the same as ours where relevant, the only major difference is pin 79 requires 12v to reflash the ecu and this is not in the evo4 loom (nor is it in ours).

I am hoping that by running voltage to pin 79 (like the evo 4 owners do) I can get into boot mode and reflash the ecu..... but this is on the todo list some time in the next month or so.
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
            Your kind of right dolphin, it is the electrolytic paste in the capacitors that swell, diodes are usually quite robust.
            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Gremblin
              • Jul 2012
              • brisbane

do you have a tune ready to be flashed onto the ecu?

Comment

• stumagoo
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Perth WA S.O.R

no I dont first thing I intend to do is remove the immobiliser requirement, I only have 1 rf key, its different to the lock keys and I CBF getting it changed as I have an aftermarket immobiliser anyway. as for a retune I may indeed look into that in teh future as one of my long term goals is a supercharger. but that is a LONG way off.

Comment

• kalieracer
                  • May 2018
                  • California

Not to bring up a dead thread, but I have been working on Pajero NK/NL ECU project that allows for full control of a factory like ECU that just plugs in to the trucks.
                  1997 NK (coil) 3.8 Mivec Hybrid motor, PNP Engine management, 3X lockers, extractors, Billstien 5100 shocks, king springs, GLX brake upgrade with slotted rotors front and back. 33inch MT's and 4.63 gears.

Comment

• Slimeone
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Melbourne

Wouldn't call this thread dead as I've been reading up about this stuff for the past few weeks looking for more info and I'm sure there's a few more out there. Can you provide some more info about your project? Also just noticed you have a 3.8 in your NK. I have a 3.8 non-mivec in my NL so hopefully some of your info can help me out too, thanks.

Comment

• kalieracer
                      • May 2018
                      • California

Well a friend who does a GTO engine management built a custom ECU / ROM to run my truck. We added support for Mivec, VICS, Knock sensors, electric fan control, (ODB II for those who do not have it), wide band, forced induction that is all PNP in to the stock harness of the NL trucks. In my case my NK comes with the same motor as the NL (here in the states) only difference is the wiring harness is 4 plug vs 3 in the later trucks. You just install the ECU + wideband and tune it.

Originally posted by Slimeone View Post
                      Wouldn't call this thread dead as I've been reading up about this stuff for the past few weeks looking for more info and I'm sure there's a few more out there. Can you provide some more info about your project? Also just noticed you have a 3.8 in your NK. I have a 3.8 non-mivec in my NL so hopefully some of your info can help me out too, thanks.
                      Last edited by kalieracer; 31-05-18, 03:12 AM.
                      1997 NK (coil) 3.8 Mivec Hybrid motor, PNP Engine management, 3X lockers, extractors, Billstien 5100 shocks, king springs, GLX brake upgrade with slotted rotors front and back. 33inch MT's and 4.63 gears.

Comment

• benckj
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Alexandra , New Zealand

I’ve installed Megasquirts in my other cars and would not hesitate to do so with my Pajero should the factory ECU die. There are so many advantages with aftermarket EMS and it’s nice to take advantage of.

Comment

• stumagoo
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Perth WA S.O.R

have talked to this chap its a crazy cool system they are building and its OBD2 compliant, it also has knock sensors and the potential for some other cool features. definatley worth looking at if you are keen on a good ecu replacement

Comment

• Scottyoffroad
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Bordertown, S.A

So... If I had an NL with a 380 engine it it that requires 98 octane otherwise it pings....

Could this be a plug and play solution to adjust timing/fuelling to be able to run on standard 91 octane.. without visiting a dyno....

and the million dollar question.. how much would it cost and how do you "tune' it.... I must admit I am very much an amateur mechanic but did manage to do the engine swap myself.
                            1999 NL Escape. 380 Engine, Alloy Bullbar, TJM Full Length Alloy Rack, 16" Sunnies with 32" Muddies, 2" Lift, Sidesteps, Towbar, Cargo Barrier, UHF.... Wishlist: Front Lokka

Comment

• Sketchypip
                              • May 2018
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by kalieracer View Post
                              Well a friend who does a GTO engine management built a custom ECU / ROM to run my truck. We added support for Mivec, VICS, Knock sensors, electric fan control, (ODB II for those who do not have it), wide band, forced induction that is all PNP in to the stock harness of the NL trucks. In my case my NK comes with the same motor as the NL (here in the states) only difference is the wiring harness is 4 plug vs 3 in the later trucks. You just install the ECU + wideband and tune it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiI9oKfD...-by=leosrawkus
                              Interesting, sounds very similar to Nistune for similar era Nissan ECU's on the S/R/Z chassis cars which is extremely useful but ultimately limited by the factory Nissan hardware like MAF's etc. If the ECU has the capability to output OBD II I'd assume you could then plug in a basis gauge reader to get engine vitals up on screen and log/acknowledge faults?

I'm running a Haltech Sport 2000 on mine currently.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X