Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 10-12-13
Valued Member

Man car maker annoy me these days.

Wife dropped the car in yesterday to have the LCA recall checked out. Supposed to be about an hour so she left it for 2 and said get it back to me by 3.00. At 3.00 she chased them up, yep coming shortly. About 3.50 it turned up.

We didn't seem to be getting anything on the prop shaft recall so I thought we must not be in the range and forgot about. Was thinking a few weeks ago when it was first mentioned I should ask them about it at same time but like I said forgot about it. Got todays mail and sure enough there's our recall notice for the prop shaft. Rang the dealer to ask if by chance they were smart enough to have done both at same time but no. We usually check that sort of thing the afternoon before the car comes in but that recall is just out. When I said I've known about it for weeks there was no answer, so now we go through the hassle all over again.

I suppose at least we passed the LCA inspection.
Old 10-12-13

got my prop shaft recall the day before my 30k service.. rang them to let them know and it had already flagged on their computer....have to admit, knox mitsu are on the ball.....although they told me mine was the first prop shaft they had to inspect..
Old 10-12-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Visited my Dealer Service Department today to get the facts on this recall.
Problem is incorrect location and welding of lower shocker/strut and stabiliser bar attach brackets on to the lower control arm. Apparently these are position and welded robotically and in some cases the location & tack weld was incorrect and therefore when the full weld was done it is welded in the wrong place and possibly with only a partial weld, robotic welders only do what is programmed and have no eyes!

The LCA must have the lower shocker, stabiliser bar and steering disconnected so the LCA can be swung down for inspection. Mitsubishi have supplied a special gauge for checking the position of brackets and if they are incorrect then a visual inspection of the weld is carried out.

There have been no reported failures whilst driving and my dealer has yet to find insufficient welds but many LCA's that have failed the position check. Replacement parts are almost depleted and many are on backorder and not expected until well into Q1 2014.

Sorry, I forgot all about the front prop shaft recall as my Challenger is not in the effected range and not on my letter.

cheers, old Jack.

Not sure who told you this but it isn't right. The welds in question are for the inner pivot mounts. The cross member under the rear pivots has to be removed to inspect the welds.
Old 10-12-13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally View Post
Not sure who told you this but it isn't right. The welds in question are for the inner pivot mounts. The cross member under the rear pivots has to be removed to inspect the welds.
Thanks Smally, it was my dealer service department who gave me a verbal description of what the recall was about and they are normally pretty reliable.
I will ring tomorrow and ask if they can email the paper work from Mitsubishi.
I do not like being given wrong info and then sharing mis-information.

cheers, old Jack.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 11-12-13

Last edited by smally; 14-02-15 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-12-13
Administrator

Thanks Smally, top effort mate

I will alter my previous incorrect post.

cheers, old Jack.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 11-12-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Thanks Smally, top effort mate

I will alter my previous incorrect post.

cheers, old Jack.
No probs, happy to share the info. Helps when I work at a dealership.

Just a quick heads up - the parts are on short supply at the moment due to a lot of dealers just changing both arms without checking them first. They will be in for a shock when asked to return the parts!
Old 12-12-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally View Post
No probs, happy to share the info. Helps when I work at a dealership.
Thanks from me too, Smally. My faith is being restored in dealerships with this contribution and my other recent great experience with my SRS loom.
Cheers, Mike.
Old 13-12-13
Valued Member

One LCA replaced on mine.
Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD