Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 24-05-13

Default Clutch in NM Petrol

G'Day,

Just had the Pajero back from a timing belt service, and the mechanic reckons after a test drive that the clutch will need attention soon. He says the pedal is a long way out before the clutch takes up (I thought it was always like this) and that I must be just adjusting my driving to suit. I've done a few tests and it isn't slipping as such but it feels a little spongy/sloppier than before (unless thats just me thinking this now that its been brought to my attention).

I'm really easy on the clutch and driveline, same with previous owner (I know them) and only done 190,000kms. Mechanic reckons $1600 for the new clutch installed, or $2300 if it is a dual mass (they can't tell until its out apparently).

Is the 2002 NM Petrol single or dual mass? And does this all sound normal to you lot? I would've expected a much longer life out of a clutch with the way I drive it...

Cheers, Tayler.

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Coming Soon (hopefully): Winch & Snorkel
Old 24-05-13

Also should I opt for a Heavy Duty clutch if it need replacing? What is the difference?

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Coming Soon (hopefully): Winch & Snorkel
Old 24-05-13
Valued Member

Only the 3.2 DiD got the dreaded DMF (Dual mass flywheel), so you are in luck.
$1600 sounds slightly on the expensive to do a clutch.
I paid $660 in labour (at the MM dealer that I use) to have my DiD clutch and flywheel changed. Add another $30 for a genuine spigot bearing.
For your V6, a clutch kit should be able to be had for $500 to $600, e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exedy-Clu...item23295933b3
Then add another $100 or so to have the flywheel machined.
So I think you should be able to get the job done for between $1300 and $1400.
Cheers, Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 24-05-13
Valued Member

Oh yeah, and if you regularly tow something heavy, then it may be worth looking at a HD clutch. If not, then I personally wouldn't bother.
Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 25-05-13
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to steveandviv

I think those kays you have got are great. I'm on my second at 210K Changed it at 130 and I reckon I'll be back for a new one soon. I do a lot of deep sand driving here in Broome and towing very step tracks etc so I'm happy with the kays I got.
2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/