• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajaru
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Perth

Change wheel diameter to correct speedo

Is it possibile to change the diameter of your tyres to correct the speedo reading.

My speedo says I am doing 10 kph faster then my GPS says. So if I got smaller/larger diameter wheels (tyres) could the speeds be made to match.

Larger if possible would I suppose help with ground clearance.
    Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
    To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
  • Pauly Faulkner
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • Maitland, NSW

Would need to go bigger in this instance.

Have you verified with another gps? as the one you're using could be faulty.
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• HSV Rangie
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Hastings

up size tyres solves the issue, most speedos read faster than actual speed.

Michael.
      2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• Pajaru
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2013
        • Perth

Thanks Guys

My GPS is a Hema HN6 about 2 months old. But I will check with another GPS.

I might take a look at getting larger tyres and I will play it safe and check with my insurance company.

To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Comment

• TheWall
          • Mar 2013
          • Sunshine Coast

I checked mine with GPS Speedo App on the iPhone.

I went from 265/65/17 to 265/70/17 and now I am absolutely spot on.

I used to wonder why everybody was speeding!?! :-)

Matt
          2010 LS 7 Seater. 2" Ultimate upgrade. TJM winch bar & bash plates. TJM dual battery & Airtec snorkel. K&N airfilter. Mitsubishi roof racks with Tigerz11 3.0x2.5 awning. Uniden 7760 CB.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Unfortunately you are in WA and you can not legally increase the overall diameter of your tyres. However the limiting legislation VSB 14 is going out for public comment in March 2014 so who knows that if common sense prevails there may be some sensible easing of the rules in the future? I would not hold my breath as the original draft of VSB 14 dates back to 2006 from memory and took 5 years before it was adopted.

My PB Challenger over reads 8kph so at 110kph GPS the speedo indicates 118kph. I always use my GPS for speed reference.

cheers, old Jack.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Pajaru
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2013
              • Perth

TheWall
              I use to think the same till I got my GPS

oldJack
              I was under the impression that you could change the height of a vehicle legally, up to 50mm by using a lift kit and/or larger wheels(tyres).
              Is this legislation VSB 14 easy to find and read (ie not in legallise)

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Pajaru View Post
                TheWall
                I use to think the same till I got my GPS

oldJack
                I was under the impression that you could change the height of a vehicle legally, up to 50mm by using a lift kit and/or larger wheels(tyres).
                Is this legislation VSB 14 easy to find and read (ie not in legallise)

Read clause 2.6.

cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Pajaru
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • Perth

Thanks old Jack

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X