Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
Personally I'm not a fan of lifting cars that have independent suspension. They look great, but the trade off in reliability/durability isn't worth it IMO.
Many independently sprung vehicle are lifted without issues. Many donít like it because they donít understand how to do it properly. Coming from a Subaru background I know how to lift a monocoque bodied vehicle.

The sticking point with the Pajero is the trailing arm to body mount point. Work this out and a range of lift kits could easily lift your Pajero without any issues or change in ride quality other than a slightly raised centre of gravity - even then no where near as bad as a raised ladder chassis live axled 4wd.

@mlpajero - I hope you find your comfortable setup without shelling out any more coin than you have to!

Cheers

Bennie
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Do not discount the poor ride quality could also be the Webco struts.
I had Bilstein B6 struts with Lovells coils fitted and whilst they were great on road they were way too hard on compression for my liking. After 3 strut failures in 90,000kms I changed the a higher but softer spring rate Dobinson coil with Dobinson Mono tube struts which are much softer in compression and firmer in rebound.
I have ended up either a more comfortable and compliant suspension but it has resulted in slightly more body roll when pushed hard.

OJ.
Also I believe the Lovells springs lifted the front closer to 3" rather than 2. From reading around it seems to be common for it to get closer to a 3" lift. I currently have no plans on getting an ARB front maybe later down the line.

The lift is where I want It to be. Maybe I'm better just leaving the springs going with some new coils. Wondering if OEM coils and Lovells springs would work out.

Or just throw on an ARB bumper and see how that is. It is pricey though.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
Many independently sprung vehicle are lifted without issues. Many donít like it because they donít understand how to do it properly. Coming from a Subaru background I know how to lift a monocoque bodied vehicle.

The sticking point with the Pajero is the trailing arm to body mount point. Work this out and a range of lift kits could easily lift your Pajero without any issues or change in ride quality other than a slightly raised centre of gravity - even then no where near as bad as a raised ladder chassis live axled 4wd.

@mlpajero - I hope you find your comfortable setup without shelling out any more coin than you have to!

Cheers

Bennie

It doesn't matter how you do it. If you lift a car with independent suspension, your reliability/durability is now less than it was stock. You'll likely get away with it if your car is an about town show pony, but put it to work where a 4x4 is meant to shine & it'll be like pulling the trigger multiple times while playing Russian roulette.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
It doesn't matter how you do it. If you lift a car with independent suspension, your reliability/durability is now less than it was stock. You'll likely get away with it if your car is an about town show pony, but put it to work where a 4x4 is meant to shine & it'll be like pulling the trigger multiple times while playing Russian roulette.
That is ridiculous info. What do you base this on?
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:

Is it detrimental to lift Pajero's by <50mm, which is generally the recommended from what I see?

I hadn't heard of this before or heard anyone say axle failure is common occurance at this height?

I'm here to learn & sponge creditable info, that's why I am on this site, so can you better explain the background of this info, you could have A point?
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

What tyre pressures are you running?
Have you tried putting some ballast in the car to see how much extra weight is required to make the springs work better?
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Youíd better tell that to my Subaru then... itís been many a place that the big 4wds go/have been. Great setup, good road manners too. Love it. Iím hoping to setup the Pajero as a big sister to Ruby Scoo.

Those that 4wd with independent suspension all round have a much better understanding of picking a line. Itís about intelligence, itís not about the size of your rig!

If thatís the way you feel Having Fun, maybe youíre in the wrong vehicle unless yours is just a black top show pony/shopping trolley.

Each to their own I guess.

Cheers

Bennie
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
I have been upgrading 4wd suspensions for 35+ years, Subaru, Jackaroo, Landcruiser 55 and 60 series, Pajero and Challengers. The vehicles have been used for recreational 4wdriving, remote area touring (private & commercial operations), rally and rally support. I have made many mistakes, the biggest has been thinking the higher and heavier duty the suspension is the better it is. I have had plenty of failures, broken leaf, torsion bar and coil springs, broken struts & shockers, broken shocker and strut mounts, failed airbags, suspension bushes and tyre's.

I have noticed the significant decline in factory fitted suspension to the stage they are not fit to carry GVM loads on bitumen let alone over corrugations. Factory suspensions on later model 4wds tend to be too firm on the front and too soft on the rear.

When I look at a suspension upgrade I aim for 2/3 compression travel and 1/3 droop travel when the 4wd is unladen, and 1/2 compression1 & 1/2 droop travel (factory unladen ride height) when the vehicle is at its loaded weight.

I have been frustrated by the lack of specific technical data for springs, shockers and struts from aftermarket suppliers/manufacturers and the lack calculations of ride heights changes with changing axle loads.
I take a scientific, mathematical and practical approach to suspension upgrades rather than one based the colour of the components and brand names. People spend serious money in good faith and end up with a suspension that does not suit their requirements. Hopefully my contributions can prevent people from repeating my mistakes or getting sold a suspension that does not suit their individual needs.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
I have been upgrading 4wd suspensions for 35+ years, Subaru, Jackaroo, Landcruiser 55 and 60 series, Pajero and Challengers. The vehicles have been used for recreational 4wdriving, remote area touring (private & commercial operations), rally and rally support. I have made many mistakes, the biggest has been thinking the higher and heavier duty the suspension is the better it is. I have had plenty of failures, broken leaf, torsion bar and coil springs, broken struts & shockers, broken shocker and strut mounts, failed airbags, suspension bushes and tyre's.

I have noticed the significant decline in factory fitted suspension to the stage they are not fit to carry GVM loads on bitumen let alone over corrugations. Factory suspensions on later model 4wds tend to be too firm on the front and too soft on the rear.

When I look at a suspension upgrade I aim for 2/3 compression travel and 1/3 droop travel when the 4wd is unladen, and 1/2 compression1 & 1/2 droop travel (factory unladen ride height) when the vehicle is at its loaded weight.

I have been frustrated by the lack of specific technical data for springs, shockers and struts from aftermarket suppliers/manufacturers and the lack calculations of ride heights changes with changing axle loads.
I take a scientific, mathematical and practical approach to suspension upgrades rather than one based the colour of the components and brand names. People spend serious money in good faith and end up with a suspension that does not suit their requirements. Hopefully my contributions can prevent people from repeating my mistakes or getting sold a suspension that does not suit their individual needs.

OJ.
I'm listening & appreciate the knowledge
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Have you considered going back to softer springs & installing a body lift, if that's legal in Canada?

That will give you a lift & you'll still have a smoother ride.

It's the monocoque that's causing your problems. Combining that with stiffer springs will be bone jarring on rough roads!

Personally I'm not a fan of lifting cars that have independent suspension. They look great, but the trade off in reliability/durability isn't worth it IMO.
I have factory springs and 2" lift with spacers, and still it's stiff ride but I am used to it
There is no help, every Pajero has stiff ride.

Anyone had NP and NS Pajero? Is NS Pajeros better for this stiffnes?
NP Pajero 3.2DiD auto GLS Exceed 2004 LWB Gold metallic color, 275/50 R20 MAK wheels ET20 polished, 2" Lift kit, EGR blanked off, Chip, Leather electric seats, Xenon lights, LED/Angel eyes projector headlights, Led daytime lights in bumper, Led roof lights, Led tail lights, Full led interior, Led dash, Color factory display, Chrome bullbar, Dual battery, Rear spoiler with lip, Tinted windows, Kenwood sound system, TeamHeko wind deflectors, 2din DVD player with reverse camera and GPS navigation