• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rath
    • Jan 2019
    • Warrawee, NSW

First Paj service coming up

Friends,
    My ownership is nearing a year (time flies!) and the Paj is coming up for its first service in a couple of weeks. I am looking to get some thoughts...
    The Paj is close to ~10k mark. When I checked the dip stick the oil was thick black. I was thinking to get following done
    • Looking to get a Catch Can installed
    • Additional fuel filter installed
    • EGR delete - I could use some experiences here to decide one way or another
    • Get an engine oil flush with CEM FOC and CEM AW10 added - any engine oil recommendations?
    • Finally - is there a reason I need to use the dealership for the first service. I have gathered from the forums that there are good licensed mechanics in Sydney. Trustworthiness, exorbitant service costs and ability to get the mods I want are my reasons to evaluate other options.

Cheers,
    /Rath
  • farcanal
    • Mar 2010

Yes on the catch can. If you're mechanically minded you can do this yourself.
    2nd fuel filter not necessary, unless you're planning to buy fuel off farmers out of 44 gallon drums.
    Dealership service not mandatory.
    I have heard of people using an engine flush just before an oil change. I believe it will give you a cleaner engine over time.

Comment

• Ozzz
      • May 2019
      • Brisbane

Mine is due in 7 months with 7k on the clock. I will stick to the dealership for the first three years due to capped service. But I will change oil myself each 7k5. 2nd fuel filter is optional unless you visit somewhere with low quality fuel. Catch can and Egr are highly sugguested.
      My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2019
        • Victoria

EGR delete strongly advised, these engines get a lot of carbon build up inside the inlet manifold. Along with a catch can, the most important things to do.

If using non dealer for service, ensure they use the right oil for your model, and if you go back there for 30000 (2yr) service they do service as per handbook (valve clearance, fuel filter etc.)
        2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by rath View Post
          Friends,
          My ownership is nearing a year (time flies!) and the Paj is coming up for its first service in a couple of weeks. I am looking to get some thoughts...
          The Paj is close to ~10k mark. When I checked the dip stick the oil was thick black. I was thinking to get following done
          • Looking to get a Catch Can installed
          • Additional fuel filter installed
          • EGR delete - I could use some experiences here to decide one way or another
          • Get an engine oil flush with CEM FOC and CEM AW10 added - any engine oil recommendations?
          • Finally - is there a reason I need to use the dealership for the first service. I have gathered from the forums that there are good licensed mechanics in Sydney. Trustworthiness, exorbitant service costs and ability to get the mods I want are my reasons to evaluate other options.

Cheers,
          /Rath
          Do you tow or use in severe conditions? I would be changing oil more frequently, rather than using flush & additives - clean oil is best IMO.

Don't you have capped price servicing? Make sure you get quotes from non dealers for all services that capped price covers before deciding, as the 24 mth one includes tappets, etc & will probably be much more costly than the capped price (assuming they do the tappets properly - always ask).
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• BOGWHEEL
            • Oct 2019
            • IPSWICH

Mine has 2000km and oil is jet black already.
            So how many km untill the manifold starts to block up?

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

My oil is black within a thousand kms, which pretty normal. The oil holds the crap in suspension which is what it is meant to do.

Personally i don't do engine oil flush as I use good quality oils every time and it is holding the crap in suspension and coming out every 7500kms when I change it.

An EGR or catch can will not reducd the oil going black for info.

Up to you re servicing but if you have capped price servicing may be more cost effective to stay with that.

Just my thoughts.
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• rath
                • Jan 2019
                • Warrawee, NSW

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                Do you tow or use in severe conditions? I would be changing oil more frequently, rather than using flush & additives - clean oil is best IMO.

Don't you have capped price servicing? Make sure you get quotes from non dealers for all services that capped price covers before deciding, as the 24 mth one includes tappets, etc & will probably be much more costly than the capped price (assuming they do the tappets properly - always ask).
                I don't tow and I haven't used it in severe conditions yet but I will be looking to. I do have the option available of capped price servicing. But I am not sure if the dealership will do custom mods for me

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Victoria

They are ok to do catch can and fuel filter, but cant do anything that would negate the EGR.
                  Might as well use the CPS, you have paid for it already.
                  2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• slowcoach
                    • Apr 2014
                    • SA but travelling around Oz

I put a SPV module on at 60,000kms when i bought our NT (EGR bypass)
                    Ever since the engine oil stays transluscent for much longer.
                    I change oil every 7500km and now at 160,000km and the NT stills pulls like a champion.

Previous experience with common rail diesel work vehicles which have no egr delete has
                    been oil blackens very quickly.
                    Last edited by slowcoach; 11-01-20, 06:31 PM.
                    TJM snorkel, Smartbar, Firestone air bags, SPV mod, Thumper Redback Extreme agm, Donaldson fuel filter, Bridgestone LT 697 AT, McHitch tow hitch 3.5t, Redarc 2550 bc-dc.

Comment

• Ozzz
                      • May 2019
                      • Brisbane

I have just finished my 1st oil change, 7020km on clock. It is my first time changing oil. I spent 2 hours total from the start to the end including cleaning the oil spill due to mild outdoor wind today. It was a great experience for me. The harder part was taking all plates off and putting them back. I will check the leak in the few days. Next time I should spend half of the time, really worth it.
                      My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                        My oil is black within a thousand kms, which pretty normal. The oil holds the crap in suspension which is what it is meant to do.

Personally i don't do engine oil flush as I use good quality oils every time and it is holding the crap in suspension and coming out every 7500kms when I change it.

An EGR or catch can will not reducd the oil going black for info.

Up to you re servicing but if you have capped price servicing may be more cost effective to stay with that.

Just my thoughts.

My NW has the egr and catch can fitted from brand new. My oil, even at 10,000klms , has never been filthy black. I also do a lot of towing and use Valvoline Full Synthetic. EGR and catch can helped here. Even at 3000klms the oil is still a brownish/honey colour
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ozzz
                          • May 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                          My NW has the egr and catch can fitted from brand new. My oil, even at 10,000klms , has never been filthy black. I also do a lot of towing and use Valvoline Full Synthetic. EGR and catch can helped here. Even at 3000klms the oil is still a brownish/honey colour
                          Thats really good. My wasted oil was black like ink, not sure if its due to DPF thing.

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

After 10000 km, including about 4500 km towing my caravan, the oil on the disptick is dark, but certainly not black. However, when I drained the oil, it looked very black - the dipstick is showing only a very thin veneer of oil. It is the detergent in the oil doing its job - carrying the soot around until you dump the oil. Even so, I have seen oil on dipsticks which were utterly black - my Pajero certainly runs a lot cleaner than a lot of petrol engines I have seen over the years.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by erad View Post
                              After 10000 km, including about 4500 km towing my caravan, the oil on the disptick is dark, but certainly not black. However, when I drained the oil, it looked very black - the dipstick is showing only a very thin veneer of oil. It is the detergent in the oil doing its job - carrying the soot around until you dump the oil. Even so, I have seen oil on dipsticks which were utterly black - my Pajero certainly runs a lot cleaner than a lot of petrol engines I have seen over the years.
                              I agree with you, the black is meant to be dispersed in the oil by design of the oil additives in the oil, especially obviously diesel engines.

Frantz filters I can recall years ago this is, many promoting the idea of less oil changes required & even no oil changes required .

Established in 1953 by John Frantz, the Frantz Filter Company became a mainstay product and process for cleaning automotive oil worldwide.

Problem with that theory is the oil base might be fine but the additives in the oil will certainly break down over time & I can re-call it being a topic at trade school & the information was sourced from Detroit diesel on oils at the time, which is definately not current by the way

Black oil isn't a bad thing my opinion only.

As they say or they use to anyhow, oil's ain't oils!!
                              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X