Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Does anyone make a ute that's as tough as a Pajero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi1973
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • New Zealand

Does anyone make a ute that's as tough as a Pajero?

Possibly not the best thread for this, but nevertheless..... as some of you know, I'm still in the process of crossing Central Asia this year - the third big international trip with the same Pajero/Shogun. The last couple of thousand km's over here was technically 'on-road', but the roads are so incredibly bad that it's harder on the vehicle than much of the 'off-road' we do. I.e. broken tarmac, big rocks and serious pot holes that we are constantly crashing into. Though my Pajero is nearing 13 years of age and has 230,000km's on the clock (quite a bit of which has been in tough conditions like those described) it continues to soldier on, taking all this in its stride. Whenever we get back on good tarmac she just purrs along smoothly, driving like 'new'. The only issues experienced are that some original control arm bushes are finally in need of replacement - something I need to get onto while we're stopped in Tajikistan's capital city - Dushanbe. At the current age and mileage a few original control arm bushes or oil seals failing is nothing to complain about at all.

And this brings me to my key point. I came on here years ago as a novice wondering if the Pajero is a good 4wd, and today I'm as well placed as anyone could be to confirm that indeed it is one genuinely tough and capable vehicle... even if most in NZ and the UK are just in use on the school and shopping mall run. The only real limit we're running into with the Pajero is that it's getting a bit tight for a growing family of five, and this has caused me to consider a future vehicle build following the completion of this year's expedition. A double cab ute with an aluminium canopy would do wonders for resolving the space issue, but as I research all the current crop of double cab utes I feel rather discouraged! Coming from a Pajero that hasn't failed to deliver, I'd feel hard done by if a new ute couldn't compare on toughness - and my research thus far leads me to conclude that many of them are not 'Pajero tough'.

The Toyota Hilux at first glance seems the 'go to' choice based on a past legendary reputation... but the current Hilux appears to be fraught with all manner of reliability issues, including DPF, and now an issue with going into limp mode in the presence of dust - something Toyota isn't fussed with fixing since it only affects a minority of buyers who actually go near dust these days. We've had nothing but deserts and dust for the last 20,000km this year, so a Hilux looks out.

Ranger/BT50 - although it's difficult to assess the statistical relevance of all the reported engine/transmission failures and electrical faults given these sell in big numbers, the point is that there are many many Pajeros about and engine failure is virtually unheard of. I think even more than the Hilux these are out of contention.

Triton - Unsure about these. I think with the small engine it's gone the wrong direction for the kind of overland vehicle build I'm contemplating, plus it's a smaller ute than others. Still, it's about the only ute with a true full time 4wd ability, which is impressive (all others can only use 2wd on-road). Trayon did a write up recently in which they advised everyone against buying a Triton or Navara ute, as they consider them the weakest builds and worst quality - seems harsh!

D-Max - this would appear to be the only true contender, but still looks as if it falls short of achieving full Pajero quality. The engine is undoubtedly best in class, even if an 'old' engine. Like the 4m41, it's noisy but bulletproof. D-Max has an Aisin transmission, and they're the best in the business. Downsides are some had weak diffs that have failed, CV joints don't seem to be as tough as Pajero and there have been one or two snapped rear axles! Also, cracked front inner guards, which Isuzu blames on bullbars and doesn't cover warranty (even though some have not had bullbars!).

Whilst the D-Max looks to be the pick of them, I''m left with question marks over how a heavily loaded one would have coped with the tough 20,000kms we've done so far this year in Central Asia alone, which has included thousands of miles of crashing about on broken roads and extreme corrugations - all of which the Pajero has eaten up.

I can tell you that by far the most common 4wd vehicle we've seen on our journey across Central Asia is the 100 Series Landcruiser and 105 Series Landcruiser, both petrols and diesels (petrol is dirt cheap all across Central Asia and is superior to diesel in the extremely harsh winters they have in Russia and Central Asia, which can be as low as minus 60 degrees Celsius!) We see these 100/105 Landcruisers in vast numbers! Also quite a few 200 Series about wherever there is a bit more wealth around. 100 Series have a reputation for dependability that is as good as the Pajero - 200 Series still good but a bit lower (whilst early issues are resolved they have alternator issues due to the V8 configuration putting down low exposing it to mud/water ingress).

So, is there a current ute that can deliver like the Pajero? Or is my alternative idea better... which is to find a good low mileage 100 Series when I get to England (most of them there have never been off-road so you can find original examples) and put it in the same shipping container along with my Pajero when I return it to NZ. Ordinarily it would be expensive to ship a vehicle, but I can ship one with my Pajero for only slightly more cost. Once home I could test it as is initially, before contemplating chopping it and making it into a ute with a canopy. I used to think it extreme and unnecessary to chop a perfectly good 4wd wagon, but my research on the current crop of utes leads me to understand why some are doing it. The Pajero and 100 Series appear to come from an era where 4wd's were super tough and dependable. Darn shame you can't chop a Gen 3/4 Pajero! BTW I've no intention of selling my Pajero.

Long read - sorry. Have included some recent pics for those that made it this far!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kiwi1973; 28-10-19, 02:40 PM.
    2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
  • rgrubby
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Wellington - NZ

Do the Land Cruiser 70 series utes have the same DPF etc issues? They look like more of a work horse than a tourer, so not sure how comfortable they are.
    I have no idea about them, just suggesting it as something you haven't mentioned.
    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
      Do the Land Cruiser 70 series utes have the same DPF etc issues? They look like more of a work horse than a tourer, so not sure how comfortable they are.
      I have no idea about them, just suggesting it as something you haven't mentioned.
      Unsure re 70 series & DPF, but I did notice at our 4WD show last week that the 70 & 200 have both acquired a manual DPF burn switch like the Prado has now got - can't imagine the Big T spending money developing those systems unless they had an issue?
      Comfort and 70 should not be used in the same sentence! Nor should safety.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by kiwi1973 View Post
        ..........The only real limit we're running into with the Pajero is that it's getting a bit tight for a growing family of five, and this has caused me to consider a future vehicle build following the completion of this year's expedition. A double cab ute with an aluminium canopy would do wonders for resolving the space issue, but as I research all the current crop of double cab utes I feel rather discouraged! Coming from a Pajero that hasn't failed to deliver, I'd feel hard done by if a new ute couldn't compare on toughness - and my research thus far leads me to conclude that many of them are not 'Pajero tough'.

If passenger space and comfort is a requirement, particularly if the people are tall or large, I wouldn't go near a dual cab ute, as they all feel smaller inside to me, particularly the rear seats & the higher floor due to a separate chassis, not to mention cart springs & drum brakes! . The Paj beats them all for passenger space & comfort. The only one that goes close, although still tighter in the rear, is the Amarock (I do like the V6 power & the permanent 4WD, but no low range & unsure re durability/reliability, plus much more expensive than Paj).
        Perhaps the new Defender, but expensive & unknown reliability.
        If you really need more space, 200 might be the only option, but payload is less the Paj & big $.
        I'd probably just get a new or near new Paj - can be found for about AUD43k here at present, but unsure of NZD price. The pre-DPF MY16 is the sweet spot IMO.

PS - love the photos - what a great trip!
        Last edited by spot01; 30-10-19, 07:12 PM. Reason: typo
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Having Fun
          • Jun 2015
          • Adelaide

We own both a dual cab & a Pajero & I think that there's more room in a Pajero, unless the dual cab is a Chev/Ram yank tank type of Ute.
          If you buy a 100 in the UK, given it's age - chances are that it's driven on "gritted" roads over long periods & rust may be an issue. You can buy petrol 100's/105's here (Aust) quite cheaply these days, but they all seem to have lots of K's on them. The auto ones I've seen only have a 3 speed auto in them, which I see as a negative.
          You've had a very different experience with your Pajero than we have with ours! The last thing I'd call ours is "tough" lol. Comfortable, yes, but with constant niggly (annoying) issues!

Comment

• Seigried
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2016
            • brisbane

As far as i am aware dpf issue impact late model d4d motors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• ron.dunn
              • Jul 2019
              • Central Victoria

There have been a few Y62 Patrols in Australia that have been chopped into dual cab utes. That would certainly give you cabin room for 5.
              Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• NJV6
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • New Zealand

Every dual cab with a canopy on the back looks ungainly and terribly unstable off road. And they all crack chassis.
                What about a trailer? Maybe if the kids are still keen travellers is it time to consider a small truck?
                1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Andythiing
                    • May 2019
                    • Adelaide Hills

Get a 79 series
                    SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
                    2 inch lift
                    ARB bar and snorkel
                    Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

• Hatto
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Mandurah WA

I'd go for a 79 series LC. Yes they are expensive for their spec level, yes they are uncomfortable. A seat upgrade will fix that though. As for spec level adding aftermarket gizmos is easy and cheap enough if you can do them yourself.
                      There's a good reason why mine sites use them as workhorses.
                      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• tomwithannl
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Or if money is no object!

Tom
                        1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                        1953 Morris Minor ute
                        1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                        2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Scouter1
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Sydney NSW

Trayon review of Toyota 79 series

https://www.trayon.com/79-series-landcruiser/ - they are certainly popular in Australia for a number of good reasons
                          2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• NJV6
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • New Zealand

Aaron and his family are travelling the world.... a family of 5 in a dual cab 79 is a joke, have they got proper seat belts in the back yet? And how about that rear legroom, they live out of the Pajero, I’d say there are more downsides to a 79 than upsides compared to the Pajero.
                            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• westvic
                              • May 2016
                              • Ballarat

Does the G Wagon come in dual cab?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X