• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bacon
    Banned
    • Feb 2015
    • Australia

I don't read minds when someone flashes his lights behind me but I do know his intentions to overtake me when he has his blinker on

Comment

• RodZone
      • Nov 2015
      • Gippsland Lakes

Avoid driving at night in country areas if you can. There are wombats, pigs, roos, horses and deer regularly being hit, killed and bending cars. It's only a matter of time.
      2000 NM V6 Exceed auto

Comment

• MSF
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2009
        • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Originally posted by bacon View Post
        You would be taking a great risk to flash you lights at me before you overtake
        I don't read minds when someone flashes his lights behind me but I do know his intentions to overtake me when he has his blinker on
        Wow... just WOW...
        So I take it that you are constantly looking in your mirror, (rather than on the road ahead) concentrating on the OSF indicator of the car behind you - just so you can know when you are about to be overtaken...

As opposed to a quick flash of the lights to get your attention, then you realise I am about to over take you because you will then see my indicator when you look back in the mirror..

If you can't tell the difference between someone flashing the courtesy to let you know they are about to overtake, vs flashing constantly behind you because you are driving like a twat in the right lane at 20km/h below the speed limit - Then I think you should hand in your licence

Just out of interest - what makes them at great risk when someone flashes behind you ?? (which of course is legal to indicate an intention to overtake)

a/ Brake check them ??
        b/ Speed up and cut them off as they are overtaking ??
        c/ Merge right and force them off the road ??
        d/ Sit behind them with your highbeam and spotlights on ??..

If the answer is ANY of the above... please stop driving immediately and start catching the bus......

Comment

• bacon
          Banned
          • Feb 2015
          • Australia

In NSW, headlight flashing by regular drivers (that is, not a police officer, etc) for any means is illegal, except in emergency purposes."

Go catch a bus LOL

Comment

• MSF
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2009

In NSW, headlight flashing by regular drivers (that is, not a police officer, etc) for any means is illegal, except in emergency purposes."

Go catch a bus LOL
            You need to read up on the rules.... You are obviously proud of being able to quote them -

I linked it and even quoted it above for your convenience......
            Last edited by MSF; 26-11-15, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• bacon
              Banned
              • Feb 2015
              • Australia

Comment

• MSF
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009

Where are you quoting this from ????
                please provide a link to this rule as I have...

Please don't say Wikipedia, Whirlpool forums or Reddit etc - save yourself that embarrassment....
                Where in the current NSW road rule handbook does it say that ....

I have provided the source in NSW --> http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safe...and-horns.html

Another source - http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/...r210/s218.html

Do yourself a favour before you look completely silly - Google "AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 218"
                Last edited by MSF; 26-11-15, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Its legal in Queensland...
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• bacon
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Australia

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                    Where are you quoting this from ????
                    please provide a link to this rule as I have...
                    You seem to know everything look for your self

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/subordleg+179+2008+cd+0+N/
                      218 Using headlights on high-beam
                      (2) However, if the driver is overtaking a vehicle, the driver may briefly switch the headlights from low-beam to high-beam immediately before the driver begins to overtake the vehicle.

LEGAL IN NSW TOO......
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• stevemc181
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Thornlie/Perth

Many years ago in my truck driving days it was considered standard practice and a common courtesy to give a quick flick of the high beam lights to let the truck ahead know you were on the way around. It was also standard practice for them to flick the lights once you were clear and it was safe to pull back in.
                        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

I can remember that as well...Only problem is that in the old days high beam was only 2 candles worth of light!!!

HID, Lightbars and technology have advanced so far that even low beam can be too bright...

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• craka
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                            Many years ago in my truck driving days it was considered standard practice and a common courtesy to give a quick flick of the high beam lights to let the truck ahead know you were on the way around. It was also standard practice for them to flick the lights once you were clear and it was safe to pull back in.
                            Still relative standard practice to flash one overtaking that they are right to pull in but not the former, not that I've seen anyway.
                            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• MSF
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2009

I am often doing the Syd-Melb and Melb-Syd run and prefer to drive at night for a few reasons and yep... I always see the overtaken truck flash the overtaking truck to say "Ok to pull back in front" - makes perfect sense when they are running a Long vehicle like a B-Double etc

Comment

• Dicko1
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                                I am often doing the Syd-Melb and Melb-Syd run and prefer to drive at night for a few reasons and yep... I always see the overtaken truck flash the overtaking truck to say "Ok to pull back in front" - makes perfect sense when they are running a Long vehicle like a B-Double etc
                                And these blokes are really professional drivers so you'd reckon they'd know what are safe practices.....
                                Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X