Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > Challenger News

Challenger News Latest News...

Old 17-09-15

Default More electronics.

Just picked up the 'latest' 4X4 magazine. Interesting article re new Challenger.

Yep more electronic gizmos. Hope they don't make it into the Pajero except for the HDC.

BSW...Blind spot warning. How would that work. What does it do? Does it brake the vehicle, blow the horn, start beeping? People have different blind spots when sitting in a vehicle.

UMS...Ultrasonic misacceleration Mitigation System. Er what does that do? According to MM, while the vehicle is stationary or at speeds up to 10kph the UMS uses ultrasonic sensors to detect vehicle obstructions. It also regulates engine power when the driver firmly depresses the accelerator by mistake.

There is also a Multi around Monitor which displays a "birds eye view of the vehicle's perimeter."

Must not forget the Electronic parking brake.

Yes it does finally have one big plus. Hill Descent Control
Old 17-09-15
Valued Member

Yet they STILL don't fit reverse park sensors to the NX Pajero GLX !!!!!!!!!

A $50k+ car & they still "penny pinch" on real safety items that can save kids lives!!!
Old 27-10-15

The blind sport warning system is a good safety feature. It just warns the driver (I think a light in the mirror) when there is a car in the blind spot. The blind spot at your sides that does not show from mirror.

The UMS system obviously just stops you from crashing in a wall, I don't know hopefully you can override that if you really have to crash in the wall. :/

Well most of these systems don't need more electronics. When all cars in the future will have something like the ultrasonic radar, and certain sensors and cameras at both sides, adding new features like this is just adding new programs in the car's computer.

Like the forward collision mitigation system, speed adaptive cruiser control, etc. all these can use the same electronics and sensors.

This video explains those features pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTJetrJT32k

I am quite sure they will come in the next generation pajero too.
Old 27-10-15
Valued Member

Crash avoidance might be fun on a closed in track? Maybe a lunch break is needed so the driver can switch off all these aids
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 28-10-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post
Crash avoidance might be fun on a closed in track? Maybe a lunch break is needed so the driver can switch off all these aids
They are making it so the driver gets in the car, punches in his destination on the gps. Starts car, pulls mobile phone from pocket and communicates to his brain dead mates about what he had for breakfast and do they like the photo of it. His vehicle is automatically driving him to his office job, self parks then automatically opens the door for the braindead one to get out.

Yep gotta love the future...
Old 29-10-15
Valued Member

I think a bloke walking 10 metres in front with a red flag might be the way of the future.
Old 29-10-15
Valued Member

Unfortunately, the way of the future for car technology is more sophistication and electronic complication. Some of these things are handy and worthwhile – light that come on by themselves are handy in tunnels and windscreen wipers that come on when it rains – well, I can do without that. Reversing sensors, blind-spot cameras etc. etc. do make things a bit easier and if they stop working they’re not going to stop you in your tracks – you either get them fixed or you don’t. I also do like ABS and Stability Control – that adds to safety.

The exasperating part of all these ‘improvements’ however, is the unreliability of important things – particularly those to do with your engine and decide if it goes normally, reverts to ‘limp-home’ mode, or completely stops. We had an experience recently with my son’s ASX where the camshaft sensor developed a loose electrical connection and this just completely stopped him in his tracks. This actually led to a combination of assumptions and misdiagnosis by dealership staff as the ECU decided to throw out a couple of others errors which confused them completely. Luckily, I knew a well trained technician who was able to sort it all out – for the moment anyway !!

What is happening in the industry is that dealers are training staff about the new technology, however any of them that are any good get jobs elsewhere and most of the time the dealers are using staff who are still undergoing training or are not the brightest bulbs out of the box.

Regrettably, there is not much we can do about it.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 29-10-15
Valued Member

As long as I can turn all that shit off I'm happy..

Next thing you know is when you turn the ignition key it asks you to confirm you "really want to start the car" bleh..
Old 29-10-15
Valued Member

The electronics are only as good as their connections. We have had many people on the forum with tales of woe that were caused by loose or corroded terminals. I have little faith in electronics after my experience as a remote area technician. At some time it will break down and require heaps of testing and diagnostic equipment to get you going. Regional areas are nowhere nearly as well equipped as our city centres. Suitably trained staff are as rare as rocking horse shite as well. The location of many of the sensors and connectors is also a big area of concern. Gone are the days of whipping out a spanner or screwdriver and fixing your vehicle on the side of the road. Your best friend now is road side assist.

Trouble is , like most of the older blokes on this forum, I remember when vehicles were fairly easy to diagnose and to a great extent fix yourself. Now the electronics are so confusing for the average driver that dealers can quote a price of several thousand dollars and you really have no idea if he is ripping you of or not. Could be a simple fuse gone but he will show you a code that says replace auto box relays. The average bloke just has to suck it up and hope that the mechanic he has is honest. Few and far between, I,m afraid.
Some of the electronics we have are great but we are also going overboard in a game of one up manship over the next brand. In the end the consumer pays dearly for the unnecessary crap that is put on vehicles. Auto sensing wipers, auto headlights, mobile phone Bluetooth are examples of garbage electronics in my opinion.

Mind you I look forward to the day when all vehicles are fitted with an automatic mobile phone signal killer. We would see less deaths on the road and maybe better drivers. I,m not against electronic gadgetry...just don't like the gimmicky stuff.
Old 15-11-15

I believe electronics in cars are unreliable simply because they are the newest part of the technology that is still very much evolving.

If we look history, in the early times of automobile, it was also mechanical things that were unreliable.

Most considered a horse to be much better, well it was much more reliable than a car.

But the long development has improved the technology and today's car is very reliable considering how complex it is.

Same development will happen to electronics. They will be more standardized, more reliable, cheaper . . .