Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Hot Spots

Hot Spots Post your Favourite tracks & Camping Spots

Old 20-10-16
Valued Member

Default dargo to harrietville road conditions

Hi all,
I am working with some canadians that have 3 weeks around victoria in a rental camper (starting next week) . I think its a transit or a transporter van. I was going to suggest the dargo high plains road to bright, but thought iId better check if the roads are okay for the vehicle, and if they are open before cupday.. I know its sealed some of the way, but from what ive heard its not that bad a road.

is it a worthwhile suggesting or best to stichk to the b roads?

thanks.

J.C.
Old 20-10-16
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgeboy View Post
Hi all,
I am working with some canadians that have 3 weeks around victoria in a rental camper (starting next week) . I think its a transit or a transporter van. I was going to suggest the dargo high plains road to bright, but thought iId better check if the roads are okay for the vehicle, and if they are open before cupday.. I know its sealed some of the way, but from what ive heard its not that bad a road.

is it a worthwhile suggesting or best to stichk to the b roads?

thanks.

J.C.
Hi bilgeboy,

I'm not sure when the road would re-open, but I expect it would be about now. I've only ever driven it at the end of January, at which time I would not hesitate to drive it in Transporter. It does get rough in sections, but travelling a little slower and taking it easy over the rough patches & pot holes, a Transporter should have no trouble whatsoever.

I rate it as quite a lovely drive.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 20-10-16
Valued Member

Are there any campgrounds on the way?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Old 20-10-16
Resident

This is taking things a little further from my experience.

Closer to Dargo, Jones Road has a number of nice campsites that are 2wd accessible. There is also nice camping at Talbotville, at the bottom of McMillan Road, which is also 2wd accessible. McMillans is about 45 minutes each way, and a long downhill going in.

I recall some signs for campgrounds towards the northern end of the High Plains road, but I've never been in to them, so I can't comment on what they're like, or the condition of the track in.

There are also a couple of "picnic areas" that are easily accessible from the road, and I have no doubt that people have camped there, but I think the Jones Road campsites are nicer.

In a 4wd (with tougher tyres and suspension suited to rough roads), from the top of the bitumen at Grant to the bitumen near the Alpine Way can be done in about an hour. I would expect the Transporter to take longer.

While I think of it, I've seen two 4wds run out of brakes going down McMillans, because they weren't using their engine to brake. Descending the bitumen from Grant to Dargo, and down the Alpine Way to Harrietville, are also brake-cooking territory for ill-prepared drivers. Please make sure your friends know about engine braking.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....