Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > Challenger News

Challenger News Latest News...

Old 08-12-15
Valued Member

my worry is that in 10 years time what happens - its bad enough now trying to get companies to supply electronics for cars that are 10-15 years old but when current cars reach that age it will be disastrous. I make this point of view from my trade perspective - Panel beater. Example 2014 captiva had a side impact. needed 2 new doors and minor repair to the sill. also needs 2 new airbags, 2 new seatbelts, to new seatbelt pretensioners, new hood lining, new passenger seat bolster cushion, new passenger seat cover, and new airbag ecu module. (apparently you can not remove the airbag deployed code and they have to be replaced). all these items are vehicle specific and while major panels like doors are easy to get second hand replacements, seatbelts airbags and controller modules will not be in the future. Imagine writing a car off because you had a smashed door that is a bolt on replament.

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 08-12-15
Valued Member

Electronics is an issue on replacement and cost. Some decision taken by manufacturers are designed obsolesce and impact on resale value, and life of vehicle. Recent examples that I have experienced or seen first hand with my friends.

1. Ford X6 Turbo - sound system has body computer built into it so any upgrade means leaving existing unit in place and working around it. Lot of sound systems are upgraded around the five to ten year mark due to lack of features, quality, or reliability.

2. Honda Accord, windscreen replaced for chip and only the factory windscreen at twice the price could be guaranteed to work with the rain sensing wipers. After market windscreens give mixed results.

3. Honda Accord, kids playing knocked off the interior mirror. Cost? $3000. You have to be kidding but it was auto dimming, etc.

4. Remote car keys with some makes having user replaceable battery and other needing new key.

When looking at the PC Challenger I did check out 1 and 4 of the above and would have not brought had they been designed in.

As a friend found with his Honda Prelude it was minor things with no spare parts that forced him to sell. He loved the vehicle and was going to be his keeper but haunting wreckers for replacements bits that had a reasonable chance of been near failure due to age/wear dampened his enthusiasm.

I do wonder if the base models actually have a longer life expectancy compared to higher spec models. Ie, no sun roof, etc.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 10-12-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post

I do wonder if the base models actually have a longer life expectancy compared to higher spec models. Ie, no sun roof, etc.
In some cases I'd say yes....but only if the failure was specific to the dearer model. But certainly less chance.

True story, knew of a person who had/still has an ex formula 1 car...Ferrari....came with 2 ecu's ( 1 spare )....and both weren't 100%. This person is a millionaire but still couldn't get them fixed properly....original expert couldn't be tracked down and the present F1 team had no knowledge of the "old" system.

So what hope has an ordinary bloke got with a 10 or 15 yr old "modern " car ?
Old 10-12-15
Valued Member

I look at my 300z and see that a lot of stuff in it is NA from the dealers now, its not a popular car and there is enough electronic gizmo's (variable cam timing, etc 4ws, electronic speed controlled power steering etc) to know I am looking for modern alternatives to some of these or the ability to remove altogether. I am keeping my Gen 2 paj for this reason it has no real electronics to fail other than dash and ecu. I really wonder what all these great wall owners are going to do in another 5 years when the rest of the car is as bad as the rust is now. I like the electronic gizmo's and I like having a modern reliable car for my wife to drive (and not watch for anything to go wrong) but I also can never see the point in spending wads of cash on cars - I tend to get something in the 10-15k range for my wife and get bunkies for me to keep running. That said she now has a 02 VX dunnydore and that has well and truely done itself beyond proud, it has outlasted our expected usage with not much more than a radiator failure and I believe the right CV is on its way out. not sure if I want to get a newer car for her I can not see any of the new cars lasting as well as this one has ~250 000kms on the clock and I expect if we look after it it could go another 100k easy

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 10-12-15

Moral of the story, Get an NP Pajero 3.2 All the bells and whistles you need and proven reliability.
Old 10-12-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwatkins View Post
Just picked up the 'latest' 4X4 magazine. Interesting article re new Challenger.

Yep more electronic gizmos. Hope they don't make it into the Pajero except for the HDC.

BSW...Blind spot warning. How would that work. What does it do? Does it brake the vehicle, blow the horn, start beeping? People have different blind spots when sitting in a vehicle.

UMS...Ultrasonic misacceleration Mitigation System. Er what does that do? According to MM, while the vehicle is stationary or at speeds up to 10kph the UMS uses ultrasonic sensors to detect vehicle obstructions. It also regulates engine power when the driver firmly depresses the accelerator by mistake.

There is also a Multi around Monitor which displays a "birds eye view of the vehicle's perimeter."

Must not forget the Electronic parking brake.

Yes it does finally have one big plus. Hill Descent Control

Blind spot warning is simply a icon displaying in your side mirrors when a car is in your blind spot.......ie not visible in your rear or side mirror or peripheral vision. Think it works on same principle as reverse park sensors. I've driven a car with it and its good.

The unintended thing is to stop geriatrics from plowing into everything by doubling down on the accelerator when they think its the brake. Mitsubishi ought to licence this technology for free, especially for immaculate white camry's

Last edited by conquistador; 11-12-15 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-12-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
Blind spot warning is simply a icon displaying in your side mirrors when a car is in your blind spot.......ie not visible in your rear or side mirror or peripheral vision. Think it works on same principle as reverse park sensors. I've driven a car with it and its good.

If that is the case your mirrors are not correctly aligned.

The unintended thing is to stop geriatrics from plowing into everything by doubling down on the accelerator when they think its the brake. Mitsubishi ought to licence this technology for free, especially for immaculate white camry's

It isn't only geriatrics that do that.
Old 11-12-15

Default Half baked safety systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie9 View Post
As long as I can turn all that shit off I'm happy..
I would also be happy if these systems could be turned off, but as I understand it, they can't.

I have been keeping an eye out for some body to come up with a mod that would allow ASC and TC to be effectively switched off. (Preferably the TC could be turned on when needed off road.)

There have been many posts on this forum about ASC causing adverse effects that were from memory attributed to:-
A front wheel having been knocked slightly out of alignment.
Tyres not being re inflated correctly after sand driving.
A loose surface at an intersection. (Multiple posts on this issue.)
A brand new Pajero having some un diagnosed fault.

IMHO that's not indicative of a safety feature, it's a built in hazard system.

In 50 years of on road driving I can not think of one occasion where I would have wanted some half baked computer program to interfere with the control of my vehicle.

Again IMHO, most of the new technology in modern cars is absolutely marvelous, but I don't want to drive a vehicle that has unresolved adverse control issues.
Old 12-12-15

I've had many 4wds, as I love my wife's Benz ml 320 cdi which has everything electronic device you can imagine
My favourite 4wd I still have for the beach up here in the sunshine coast and 4wding at Glasshouse mountains is my trusted 1994 NJ - no abs, no traction control, no hill decent, just plan old 4wding at its best