• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AngusFord
    • Aug 2018
    • Melbourne

Secondary fuel filter - is it worth it?

Hi All,

Been looking at getting a second fuel filter for my 03 NP DID. Just wondering what everyone's opinions/experiences are? Are they worth it?

Sorry if this has been discussed earlier but I couldn't find anything.

Cheers
    Gus
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

One of the first mods I did to my new NW was fit a secondary filter. The price of fuel pumps is ridiculous and common rail run at extremely high pressure. Keeping fuel as clean as you can can only prolong the life of the pump and the motor.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Lance
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Melbourne

Sounds like a good idea.
      What filter setup do you all suggest ?
      Not wanting to spend a gazillion $$, but something effective for our vehicles.

Links perhaps if you have them

I've recently bought a Diesel VW Crafter Motorhome and a 2nd filter would probably be a good idea on that as well......
      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• rykiel575
        • Sep 2017
        • Sydney

Depends if you are going to some places which may have dirty tanks or dirty fuel.

For me personally it wouldnt be worth it as i dont really go out to the bush.

More importantly i am a bit more cautious about the effect of a second filter on pressure values and more wear on the pump, especially if its starting to get clogged up.
        2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• dreamerman
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2009
          • Sydney

Originally posted by AngusFord View Post
          Been looking at getting a second fuel filter for my 03 NP DID
          You mean a fuel filter between the stock filter and the motor? Like you I was asking the same question several weeks ago and based on desktop research I went for a primary filter placed between the tank and stock filter. Don't forget a catch can and 0% egr module!
          03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Let's also remember that the NP DiD is electronically controlled rotary injection pump, not common rail. Gen 4 research and experience is different
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Hill
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Adelaide

Secondary filter is a no brainer for CRD as factory filter is unable to meet Parker Racor recommendation of 3 micron @95 percent.
              Both water and dirt destroy pumps and injectors.
              My mate has a stock standard NP with 350k in on it.
              On a case study of one I'd put the money towards a new pump.
              The question I'd ask is what are you protecting and will factory filter provide the required level of protection.
              BTW factory filter is around 10 microns@ 95% efficiency.

Hill
              200 Series
              AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Rich0
                • Dec 2011
                • Sydney, South

Here's some info you might find useful

I installed the Donaldson P903316 for my Cape trip last year as a primary filter (before the factory) making sure the primary is a larger micron to get the nuts and bolts out then let the factory do its job.

The kit was around $130. I don't really know if it's done it's job as a primary filter but at that price cheap insurance and worth it.
                2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
                My build thread on the to do list

Comment

• Having Fun
                  • Jun 2015
                  • Adelaide

The question I'd be asking myself is "do the farmers/ringers/postal delivery guys/oil field workers in the outback run secondary filters?"

If the answer is "not many do", which I think it would be, then you have your answer!

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                    The question I'd be asking myself is "do the farmers/ringers/postal delivery guys/oil field workers in the outback run secondary filters?"

If the answer is "not many do", which I think it would be, then you have your answer!

Like many things that aren't needed till you need it.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

That could also be because their vehicles are usually considered "tools of the trade" that they don't intend to keep for a long time, and any repairs are business expenses, not personal expenses - they may be more prepared to take a gamble, presuming they're aware that a secondary filter is even an option.

Not everybody treats their vehicles with the same level of care.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

It only takes on bad batch of fuel to stuff up the whole system. And that bad batch can even come form the larger cities - you don't have to go outback to get a crook lot of fuel. I reckon an additional filter is a worthwhile investment.

Comment

• dreamerman
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
                          It only takes on bad batch of fuel to stuff up the whole system. And that bad batch can even come form the larger cities - you don't have to go outback to get a crook lot of fuel. I reckon an additional filter is a worthwhile investment.
                          Especially when a pre-filter (and a catch can) won't impact warranty.
                          03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

And then we can ask...how many carry a second spare wheel, how many carry a compressor, how many shut down the egr, how many etc.etc......Many of these people run their vehicles as cheaply as they can and unlike most of us it is seen as a work vehicle only. Any mods I have done to my engine are there to ensure I get reliability and longevity from my Car. Farmers, ringers, miners etc. dont have the same concerns I have for my vehicle. I do know several cane farmers who have Toyota twin cab landcruisers and all have secondary filters, plus every other accessory you can name! Too much money in sugar cane...
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Having Fun
                              • Jun 2015
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                              That could also be because their vehicles are usually considered "tools of the trade" that they don't intend to keep for a long time, and any repairs are business expenses, not personal expenses - they may be more prepared to take a gamble, presuming they're aware that a secondary filter is even an option.

Not everybody treats their vehicles with the same level of care.

Most of the people I mentioned, if not all, put an enormous money & effort into safety in remote areas. Cost isn't a consideration, nor should it be. I can't see anyone with a modicum of common sense "taking a gamble".

Vehicle breakdowns out there are a complete PITA to get fixed. Even if there is someone on site that can fix the problem, you still need to fly/drive the parts in from the nearest supplier, which could be days away.

Like I said, not many secondary fuel filters in the vehicles though!

Ironically, a lot of caravaners that I come across while I'm out & about are quite vocal around the camp fire about secondary filters being a must. These guys usually have their shiny new 4x4 set up with all the bling, but they will never leave the tar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X