• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
    I did consider those tents, Problem is the aluminium poles probably won't hold up over time. Too much guy ropes. But better awning & window flaps.
    Ours has done 15 years with heaps of use, been through countless huge storms including extreme winds in the Tumut / Khancoban / Snowy Mountains regions that destroyed many other tents, and you only need to deploy the guy ropes in high wind situations. Never damaged a pole and the most damage is a bit of wear in the fly in the crown of the tent that I had patched last year.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Bru9
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Victoria

Originally posted by psproule View Post
      Ours has done 15 years with heaps of use, been through countless huge storms including extreme winds in the Tumut / Khancoban / Snowy Mountains regions that destroyed many other tents, and you only need to deploy the guy ropes in high wind situations. Never damaged a pole and the most damage is a bit of wear in the fly in the crown of the tent that I had patched last year.
      Thanks. That's good to hear. Don't know whether to keep the Safari or go the Black wolf now. I do like the Safari's simplicity & ease to setup. Once you get the hand of it its pretty easy & one person can do it all just needs a small fold step stand for it's height.
      2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• Bru9
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Victoria

Well this is going to not get resolved.

Kangeroo tent city has clearly ignored emails & over phone they told me to email.

Lesson learned never buy online, as you can't walk back in store.

Comment

• DrewXT
          • Mar 2014
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
          Well this is going to not get resolved.

Kangeroo tent city has clearly ignored emails & over phone they told me to email.

Lesson learned never buy online, as you can't walk back in store.
          Take it up with your credit card vendor or PayPal, as you get buyer protection from both.

If the product is defective or unusable power the advertised description, they'll give you a refund and chase the vendor for a suitable outcome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Bru9
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Victoria

A late update

I did find a way to set this thing up fully, my setup issues were because this tent does not setup like how the instructions read or how some people are doing it in online videos with the smaller models.
            After tent frame poles are up, i could never connect all s-hooks at top area when going from bottom of tent & working up. It was simply too tight. Only could setup fully by first connecting hooks at top of centre tent & then working downwards. This causes alot of stress on your arms & hands as you have to hold the tent weight up in the early going. Before I brought this I did plenty of studying of the setup videos. It should be easy, this was the appeal & why I got it. This tent is unusual in that if you don't spread the inwards tension on frame poles evenly (by connecting just a few hooks at a time on each side working around) some sides can bulge out badly & you won't ever get the last hooks on that pole. This is far more harder to setup than the oversimplified instructions show. Of course there are other ways, like laying framepole out flat & connecting hooks then lifting the whole frame & tent up. This is not advised at all unless someone stands inside the centre tent lifting/holding the tent's weight. Or the frame gets stressed badly.

Don't believe anything you read about Campmor's past reputation, This brand looks to have gone cheap. Much of the accessorises are plain cheap kmart quality & are unusable, i had to replace. However Campmor did do a go job on glossy pamphlets & slips of paper in various pockets reading 'quality inspection by Jack' When I got my spring steel frame pole replacement (because orig one had a crack in it), it was not the exact same size & caused the front of tent to be slightly higher. Before & after this the front door zipper is always quite hard to zip up in early going & takes a good day to loosen up as to does the tension of the hooks attached to frame poles. They clearly have botched the m/ments a bit. There is always too much slack in the PVC floor.

I have had this up & setup/setdown + weathered enough over 2months to equal probably 5+years of typical ownership.
            It still leaks. I weathered the hell out of this tent over a few weeks & it did not stop most of the 6-8 leaks coming from the PVC floor/Wall seam. There are leaks from each of the tent floor corners & seam sealer here is impractical, the front logo badge leaks to. From what I can gather these tents shouldn't be leaking this badly from new.

Both Campmor & Kangaroo Tent City Just dodged my complaints about leaks & told me to try seam sealer which is like saying just take a painkiller for a tooth ache. At first KTC ignored all my emails, but after contacting Campmor someone from KTC did email me helping with framepole replacements, but clearly did not wan't to take responsibility for leaks and setup issues & just hoped I would keep the tent. When I asked campmor further Q's about tight hard zippers & extra slack in pvc floor they just started ignoring my emails. Also KTC's phone service which I used at first was of no real help as they kept telling me to email them.

Although this thing can stay up for a long single period its longevity from repeated uses is questionable & if something breaks & needs replacing your on your own, it's 2 year warranty means nothing because chances something will break some time after this period, plus no customer support in most likely. My corner grommets (which hold frame poles in) are too soft & bendup a bit after every use. From what I saw repeatedly, setup stresses many parts of the tent. If you watch the handful of videos online the guys are being too rough with the frame pole.

Will never touch another product from campmor again or buy anything expensive from KTC as they both have burned me.
            I really only kept this tent as I thought it would be easier to try & work with & fix campmor's flaws & cheapness than getting a refund judging by some reviews of KTC.

Comment

• Amok
              • Dec 2016
              • Sydney

When i bought a new swag I hosed it down the first time when weathering it. It leaked like a sieve!
              So I filled the bathtub up and soaked it overnight, then let it dry for a day. Did this 3 times and now its very watertight.

Weathering is essential and makes a huge difference.
              MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

I buy any camping gear from Snowys now. Good prices, never had an issue and from reviews they get full marks.
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Bru9
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Victoria

Originally posted by Amok View Post
                  When i bought a new swag I hosed it down the first time when weathering it. It leaked like a sieve!
                  So I filled the bathtub up and soaked it overnight, then let it dry for a day. Did this 3 times and now its very watertight.

Weathering is essential and makes a huge difference.
                  Yes that is what I did, soaked in bath tub a few times overnight in addition to all the outside weathering & it did nothing to the PVC floor wall seam leaks.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X