• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vix2010
    • Jan 2015
    • Wamboin NSW

Should I Flip The Trailer Axle??

Hi Everyone,

I have a camper trailer that is still very low and was wondering if flipping the axle is worth doing? I have dropped the tow hitch on the Paj and the trailer is still low. If it is worth doing how hard is it to do?

Thanks for any info

Cheers Vic
    NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍
    (Everything happens for a reason)
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

It's easy to do but will your tent still reach the ground?
    Last edited by geopaj; 18-01-17, 06:22 PM.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Vix2010
      • Jan 2015
      • Wamboin NSW

Never thought of that, I don't think it would reach the ground. Thanks for the heads up
      NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍

Comment

• dhula
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • South of Perth

An axle flip by itself wont give a massive increase in height. Perhaps jack up your trailer equivalent to the height increase you'll get and put jack stands under it and check to see if the tent will still reach. Easy way to find out.

Maybe another option to get a little more height is to use higher profile tyres. Won't be as high as a SPOA but might give you enough to level things out
        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Vix2010
          • Jan 2015
          • Wamboin NSW

Originally posted by dhula View Post
          An axle flip by itself wont give a massive increase in height. Perhaps jack up your trailer equivalent to the height increase you'll get and put jack stands under it and check to see if the tent will still reach. Easy way to find out.

Maybe another option to get a little more height is to use higher profile tyres. Won't be as high as a SPOA but might give you enough to level things out
          Another good idea, will give that ago on the weekend. Was thinking about bigger tyers aswell, the rims on there are 14 maybe if i go up in size it will help it out, thanks

Love The Paj 👍👍

Comment

• Trisome
            • Dec 2012
            • Bray Park

What about longer spring shackles,thicker and stronger to account for the extra length.

Trisome
            2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• Chainsaw
              • Oct 2016
              • Sunshine Coast Aust

Is the axle mounted under the spring or on top of the spring. If on top, mount under.

Comment

• Merts
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2011
                • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Chainsaw View Post
                Is the axle mounted under the spring or on top of the spring. If on top, mount under.
                So what do you reckon the OP meant by "flipping the axle", if not exactly what you've just suggested?
                Merts
                Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• dhula
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • South of Perth

If the trailer is too low compared to the tug now, doing this will make it even lower (usually by the width of the axle beam give or take)

I'm assuming the axle is above the springs at the moment (al-la land cruiser ute so spring under axle) and he's asking about putting the axle under the spring (al-la HiLux or SPOA [Spring Positioned Over Axle])

Depending on how much extra stretch is in the tent I think the easiest things to do to get some height might be
                  Extended shackels - if the trl has slipper springs, can't be done or at least will be a PITA
                  Higher profile tyres
                  Larger wheels and tyres (eg, from a 14inch to a 15insh with the same profile tyre) but this might bring extra concerns with wheel bearing strengths etc.
                  SPOA which if the trl is fitted with brakes, shocks etc will bring extra work and expense

Each method brings with it pro's and con's but I think the first thing that Vix needs to determine is can the tent cope with the extra height.
                  2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                  2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Chainsaw
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Sunshine Coast Aust

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                    So what do you reckon the OP meant by "flipping the axle", if not exactly what you've just suggested?
                    What type of axle is it, straight or stepped?? Overslung or Underslung. Flipping the axle could mean throwing it away.

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

What type of axle is it, straight or stepped?? Overslung or Underslung. Flipping the axle could mean throwing it away.
                      If you read the thread, it's clear he is talking about 'flipping' his underslung beam axle to overslung to increase ground clearance.
                      Merts
                      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

You can flip the axle easily, but you will need to remove and refit the brakes because the handbrake cables will be facing the wrong way. Easy enough to do.

Another point - more important. When they made my caravan axle, they welded the stub axles directly onto the solid square beam part of the axle to make a sort of drop axle. To weld a round section (the stub axle) to a flat surface (the axle) means a lot of heat going in one side. Then they did the other side of the stub axle. Theoretically the weld should stay straight but in practice, the stub axle is no longer paralllel to the main beam of the axle. Repeat this on the other side of the assembly and you finish up with an axle with toe-in or toe-out because of the locked -in stresses from the first side welds. Al-Ko made my axle and it had 9 mm toe-out, measured at the centre of the tyre tread. Tyres lasted about 18000 km. Not happy. Eventually (after 3 attempts to fix it), Al-Ko gave me a new axle. It has about 5 mm toe-in, but at least the tyres seem to be wearing evenly now. To their credit, Al-Ko didn't charge me for the new axle nor did they charge for the freight to and from my home. All I had to do was to fit it, centre and align the axle and weld the centre bolt locating plates on each side. At the time, given my state of health, this was a major job for me, but the caravan was blocking my driveway so something had to be done.

The important bit of this is that if you flip the axle, any toe-in will become toe-out (or vice versa) so check the toe before you flip the axle. Al-Ko said that some toe-in was necessary to ensure a stable towing trailer. I think it is because they cannot manufacture an axle without some toe

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X