• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poita
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • Adelaide

Comfortable camping chair

I expect this to be heavily a matter of opinion, but looking for some suggestions!

Our camping chairs have finally been retired. Loved them. Super comfy, good quality and sensibly priced ($70). They lasted 8 years and coped a hammering but finally gave up. I initially made the shop assistant set up every chair they had in a row and sat in every one, then bought the one that was the most comfortable. Most local shops now only stock a small number and most of them are cheap rubbish.

So now on the hunt. Most camping chairs I have found are not comfortable. They cut the circulation from under the back of the legs and/or they have a terrible curve which wrecks your back. You may think I am being pedantic, but I don't get away as much as I would like, so when I do I spend a lot of time sitting in this chair relaxing. I want to enjoy every minute of it :P

Wants:
    A cup holder is a must
    Must pack down relatively compact
    Be quick and easy to setup/packup

Don't want/care:
    High back (as they don't pack down small)
    Low seating position. Fine once you are in but a pain to get in and out of, especially with a plate full of food.

Price is not an issue, I am prepared to pay for comfort/quality!
    Any suggestions?
    NW VRX MY2013
    Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

Have you been to Snowys? All chairs Are set up and have quite a good range. I am sure you will find what your looking for there. Also some of the staff will be happy to tell you if they have a sale coming up (or not ie. Lowest price now) and to hang out a week or two for the sale..

I think how they pack up, as you said, is just as important as comfort too. Only you know what space you have to fit/fill. I will be interested to hear how Stevemcs' directors chairs (he bought from Snowys) went on the CSR. These have a side table, slight drink holder spot and fold flatish.
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• dimmo
      • Mar 2011
      • Radelaide

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
      Have you been to Snowys? All chairs Are set up and have quite a good range. I am sure you will find what your looking for there. Also some of the staff will be happy to tell you if they have a sale coming up (or not ie. Lowest price now) and to hang out a week or two for the sale..

I think how they pack up, as you said, is just as important as comfort too. Only you know what space you have to fit/fill. I will be interested to hear how Stevemcs' directors chairs (he bought from Snowys) went on the CSR. These have a side table, slight drink holder spot and fold flatish.
      After you go to snowys, go to Discount Camping and see what the price difference is.
      We got an Oztrail Big Boy and an Oztrail Iron Back for quite a bit cheaper than the big stores.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Cairns

We are using Oz-Tent Goanna chairs. Super comfy.
        Bought them at a camping show a few years back after trying many different chairs.
        The King Goanna has a high back, which we didn't want either.

Cheers, Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• grhyso
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Perth

We have an Oztrail model we picked up halfway through our kimberley trip earlier this year. It has a high back so no good but we paid $100 each in Broome and none of the camping stores online came in cheaper (anaconda, bcf, snowies etc) but a quick Google of the model brought up big w had them for $50. Obviously this wasn't helpful in the middle of a trip but we did contemplate suffering till we got home the save $100.

Once you find the model you want it's worth doing some searching.
          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• 11T.Co
            • Oct 2013
            • Brisbane

I spend a long time looking for a chair that I would find comfortable and ended up with one from the Blackwolf range, this one: http://www.blackwolf.com.au/product/...77/category/29

You can get cheaper ones but I haven't found one that was comfortable and sturdy (the last cheap ones we had lasted 2 camping trips and were returned as they were falling apart)

Comment

• Poita
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • Adelaide

Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't had a chance to get to Snowys yet, but have been meaning to.
              NW VRX MY2013
              Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• stevemc181
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • Thornlie/Perth

I have the Blackwolf Compact directors chairs, very easy to fold and stow away and comes complete with little side table and drink holder.

I was using some Boab high back chairs that are super comfy, but too damn long to pack easily. The Blackwolfs compact directors chairs aren't as comfy but it's all a trade off. I won't ever use the quad fold chairs again, particularly if there is any sand around to get in the mechanisms, makes them painful to close and open up.
                2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Merts
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • Bendigo Vic

We use the Coleman 5 position padded chairs. They are comfy and can be set fairly upright or various degrees of reclined. Depending on your idea of compact they might not fold down as small as you are after though.

It's not an issue for me as I chuck them on the top of the camper before I put the travel cover on.

Merts
                  Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                  Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Sam Pato
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Brisbane

I have the high back version of this fella

For a 100kg bloke with a bad back, it's by far the best chair I've had. it has webbing under the seat and a lumber support - both of which really help. Steel frame is super sturdy but its a heavy chair.

Cheers

Sam
                    Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• dhula
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • South of Perth

I brought a couple of these from Masters a while back --> Click here
                      I find them better than some chairs I've had in the past. It is comfortable enough for a good laz around the camp, easy to get into and out of and packs up pretty easily. When packed up it's pretty much a square/rectangle type shape which makes it relatively easy to store in the car or on the roofrack. The bonus I found with the carry bag is that it has two carry straps that can be used al-la backpack making it ideal for carrying, particularly going to events where you have to park away from where you sit as it keeps your hands free for the esky.
                      Last edited by dhula; 16-08-16, 01:56 AM.
                      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Unfortunatrly light/compact does not come with drink holder, high seating position, comfort, side table , etc, etc. what ever you buy, there will be some compromise.
                        We changed from the Carrabie sling type folding chairs when we become empty nesters. We have Dune Nomad folding chairs, on special for $69 down from $110 at Annaconda.
                        They fold relative flat, are not overly wide or long, very comfortable, 8 position recline with high back/head rest so great for having a snooze in or star gazing. Because they have hoop bottom legs they do not sink into soft sand too much. No drink holders or tables but we have a small folding table that takes care of these requirements.

OJ.
                        Last edited by old Jack; 15-08-16, 11:06 PM.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          No drink holders or tables but we have a small folding table that takes care of these requirements.

OJ.
                          I've yet to find a drink holder that works well for Brie - definitely need a table for that.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

I,ve tried them all and now I take a good quality plastic chair that you often see with the plastic table sets. Keeps your posture good, easiest to get out off and with a small cushion very comfy. Cheap as chips too. Got a couple of flash camp chairs here that I won in a competition and although they look the goods they are a bastard to get out of after a few minutes. You sink too much into them and this is no good for the back

ps....these are the opinions of an older fart. Those with good backs may not have this issue!!!

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Poita
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Adelaide

I know what I need exists somewhere as my previous chairs were exactly that!

Don't mind whether they are square or rectangle when folded up, either will work fine on the roof rack.

A cup holder I see is important as I will nearly always have either a coffee or a beer, but the swinging pocket style which are stitched to the chair seat aren't any good for a full cup of coffee. The pockets in the arms are better suited for that. I may need to make a compromise though...
                              NW VRX MY2013

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X