• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miniyazz
    • Jul 2018
    • Alice Springs

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
    Technically possible to display the gear number in low-range, yes, but I chose not to. In low range, auto-mate only locks the torque converter when in SPORT mode. In Drive the factory computer is in charge. I chose not to display the number, as this tells the driver when auto-mate is on or off.

The factory computer does a terrible job controlling the gears when on low-range DRIVE. The right programming is very dependent on the conditions. This is why modern cars let you choose snow, dirt, sand etc. The 'default' used by factory seems to use 3rd all the time and even on very steep slopes it prefers to slip the torque converter, rather than changing into 1st gear. This causes transmission temps to skyrocket very quickly.

I really recommend anyone who's using low range to so in SPORT mode. auto-mate will lock the torque converter when in SPORT position to reduce trans temps.
    I thought it was best not to keep the torque converter locked so much in slow off-road due to increased drivetrain shocks when e.g. lifting wheels off the ground?

Thanks

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by miniyazz View Post
      I thought it was best not to keep the torque converter locked so much in slow off-road due to increased drivetrain shocks when e.g. lifting wheels off the ground?

Thanks
      Yes, correct. But you need to be unlocked in 1st or 2nd, which means using Sport mode to ensure the right gear is used. Drive in 4Llc will most sit in 3rd and then get hotter much faster.
      I only lockup in 4Llc when I need to manage trans temps, such a long steep climbs or sand. (Or in a Challenger to get better engine braking)
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• bill65
        • Feb 2013
        • melton

Auto mate

I have had auto mate for a little while now. It works well on the hills I don’t see any low fuel economy without towing. On the western highway up through Bacchus Marsh it will stay in 5th lock I use to drop to 4 gear in sports mode to keep temps down.Next week I will see towing the van.this is why I got one for towing.big thanks to Marshall for it

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bill65 View Post
          I have had auto mate for a little while now. It works well on the hills I don’t see any low fuel economy without towing. On the western highway up through Bacchus Marsh it will stay in 5th lock I use to drop to 4 gear in sports mode to keep temps down.Next week I will see towing the van.this is why I got one for towing.big thanks to Marshall for it
          Thanks Bill.
          Fuel savings are realised when auto-mate is locking the torque converter when the factory computer doesn’t.
          This is highly dependent on your driving conditions. So around town it really depends on your daily commute. I get about a 5% in town. But when towing it shines because the factory computer rarely locks up and I get 10%+ saving. Hence auto-mate keeps the transmission cooler while saving fuel too.
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Old Paj
            Pajero Club Life Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Heathcote, Vic

Thanks Old Paj - happy to hear you love it
            All country driving in undulating or windy conditions is where you'd get the optimum fuel savings.

I personally haven't had a good opportunity assess the fuel savings, because I'm forever 'in development testing' and using the car in an inconsistent way. Where I have though, my daily drive to work goes from around 9.5-10.5 down to 8.0-9.0 (best is 7.5 if I get many green lights). I cant say I've seen this improvement at the bowser, though because I waste a lot of fuel during testing.

Getting 2L less is impressive. What economy was it before? ie 2L/100km less than about what?

Keen to get anyone else's 'longer term' results too.
            Sorry about the delay in replying,

I would have to revise that now, it is more like about 1.5lt/100km from 11.48 (averaged over 60,000km) down to 10.02 (but only over two tanks of fuel so far) with like driving conditions.

Will see how it goes towing in early May, though it is only out to Bright.
            NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• bill65
              • Feb 2013
              • melton

Towing

Originally posted by bill65 View Post
              When out over the Easter long weekend towing my coromal 402 off-road van 1.9t with the auto mate. What a difference it made I use to drive in sports mode 70% of the time now.I just leave it in drive 90% of the time. It changes too fourth when hits a hill stays locked .what more would you want.if you tow it’s Worth the money no more Reving the crap out of the motor

Comment

• jkwpajero
                • Jun 2008
                • Young, NSW

After a lot of thought, and research, my order has been placed for an Automate for my NW Pajero. Having it fitted well before our next towing trip will allow some testing to be done.

James
                2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Young, NSW

My Automate kit has arrived and I am really impressed with the quality of the components, and I am a picky old fart. Very nicely done Marshall. I will get it fitted in the next couple of weeks and start testing it out.

James
                  2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• NTBenny
                    • May 2017
                    • Newcastle

I would like to hear anyone's experience with using the Auto-mate with a tuned or chipped Pajero. My next logical step is to increase the power and torque of my Paj for towing but I'm unsure if this will have any ill effects on the Auto-mate gear selection and TCC locking etc.

Cheers,

Benny.
                    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Andythiing
                      • May 2019
                      • Adelaide Hills

Ordered my kit today - hopefully delivered and installed before my trip to fraser in july👍👍
                      SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
                      2 inch lift
                      ARB bar and snorkel
                      Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

• Andythiing
                        • May 2019
                        • Adelaide Hills

Wow arrived in quick time 👍 thanks Marshall - fitting instructions seem easy to follow so I’ll have a crack at installing myself - excited to see the difference - everything in the box looks well made and presented - will leave some feedback on how it performs on my trip to qld/glasshouse/fraser in 2 weeks😎
                        SWB Pajero NT X diesel auto
                        2 inch lift
                        ARB bar and snorkel
                        Bushskinz bashplates and sliders

Comment

• jkwpajero
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Young, NSW

I fitted my Automate today and it took a little longer than I wished for, despite pre-fitting the switch and running the wiring across. I am a self confessed pedantic old curmudgeon so I just took my time. Fitting the wiring into the plugs under the console was the easiest part. I think that the wires from the gold resistor could be a little longer, maybe 30mm, as it would be easier to keep them away from the sharp edges of the ECR cover. I just glued on some rubber edging to protect them. I did a 45k road test on default setting and it all worked as it should. The gear changes are a little harsher no doubt, but in time I will get used to that.

James

Comment

• m_and_m
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                            I think that the wires from the gold resistor could be a little longer, maybe 30mm, as it would be easier to keep them away from the sharp edges of the ECR cover. I just glued on some rubber edging to protect them.
                            James
                            Thanks for the feedback James. That’s an easy improvement and I’ll roll it into future deliveries.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Young, NSW

Thanks for the feedback James. That’s an easy improvement and I’ll roll it into future deliveries.
                              Marshall, I think the added length of the resister wiring would give some leeway in where it is mounted. I mounted mine as per the instructions and trimmed the plastic surround as you have. I found when running the wiring up above the ECU mounting bracket cover it made it a little tight, but OK. I glued some rubber channel on the sharp edges of the ECU mounting bracket cover as well. Can't be too careful. The hardest part now will be to train the co driver in the use of the Automate.

James

Comment

• Dicko1
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                                Marshall, I think the added length of the resister wiring would give some leeway in where it is mounted. I mounted mine as per the instructions and trimmed the plastic surround as you have. I found when running the wiring up above the ECU mounting bracket cover it made it a little tight, but OK. I glued some rubber channel on the sharp edges of the ECU mounting bracket cover as well. Can't be too careful. The hardest part now will be to train the co driver in the use of the Automate.

James

No training required. Just turn it on and leave it on. Mines been faultless since I installed it months ago.
                                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X