Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 08-09-20

Default Front left control arm failure

My Pajero NW 2012 went wonky while reversing and now front left wheel is not straight. Drove out to find that the rear mount of the front lower control arm had failed and hanging. This has been reported in the NX model on front right and there was a recall as well. My car never gone off-roading and always kept as the kids transport to and from the school. Lucky nobody got killed. Anyone had the same before?
Old 08-09-20
Administrator

Photos?

This should be warranty even if the vehicle is out of warranty.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 08-09-20

I contacted the MMAL and they asked me to bring the Pajero to the nearest dealer for examination. However, they sounded like "anyway it is outside warranty, so you may have to bear the cost". Currently I'm with my insurer who had towed the car to their repairer. Waiting for their response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1885.jpg (84.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-09-20
Valued Member

Maybe remind them the part should never break?
Old 08-09-20
Valued Member

Looks similar to the one that failed on the later model Paj so might be the same.
Wonder if this will turn into the NS/NT door rust saga or if MMAL will step up to the plate and help Paj owners out with a recall/fix.
Hope it will be the later as it's a pretty serious safety thing. (rushes out to have a quick look at LCA's on Paj.....)
Old 08-09-20
Valued Member

I can’t answer why it’s happened, but it will probably cost less than your excess to privately repair.

Partsouq have the entire arm (new genuine) listed for $349 delivered to Australia.
https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=4013A209

Swapping the arm is an easy job (I’ve personally done it before). I would think a mechanic should be able to do it for 1 hour labour (1.5 hrs at worst!).

Then you’d need a wheel alignment- about $50-60 and your done with genuine new parts and back on the road.

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 08-09-20
Resident

In addition to the traditional manufacturer's warranties with which we are all familiar, Australian Consumer Law also contains "statutory rights" - we all have a right to expect that certain products last.

From the ACCC website:
Quote:
Statutory rights have no set time limit – depending on the price and quality of goods, consumers may be entitled to a remedy after any manufacturers’ or extended warranty has expired.
https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files...20business.pdf

Cars have parts that wear under normal use - and lower control arms don't normally fail. Bushes within might, but not the arm itself.

In my opinion, Mitsubishi should treat failure of the arm as a warrantable repair for any Gen 4 vehicle that hasn't been used for competition. Claim a repair for this failure as a statutory right, quoting the clause above. If they say no, start with legal assistance from NRMA - if they won't help, contact your state consumer affairs organisation, and ask them to explain why you're not covered by your statutory rights.

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 09-09-20
Valued Member

I'm surprised MMAL don't want to have a close look at it, given the safety issues involved - I wonder who took your call - probably just a call centre person?

I wonder if you need to call them again & insist on speaking with a senior manager about the safety related serious failure of their product. I would have expected them to replace it free of charge under consumer law & to get their hands on the failed part to examine it. This may have been the outcome if you took it to a dealer who could escalate the issue with MMAL. I doubt an insurer will cover it unless caused by damage due to impact or accident.
Old 10-09-20

Thanks for the advice guys. Still waiting to hear from MMAL. Will keep you all posted of new developments.
Old 10-09-20

You are right but when it comes to the towing fee and Courtesy Car hire (both included in my insurance), it breaks even if not exceed the excess. If insurer reject the repair I will dump the car in front of the MM local dealership and start a silent Covid-safe protest.