Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers

Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers It's all about the great outdoors. What you have and where you stayed.

Old 1 Week Ago

Question Opinions on Swags, Please

Looking at buy a swag for the first time.

Interested in any opinions/tips/experience or just a good story about swags in particular Air Swags.

Thanks
MY14 GLX-R Pajero, Modified Brown Davis Intercoola & Sump Plates, Bushskinz Rear Bumper Protector, Bushskinz Transmission & Transfer Plates, ARB Bullbar, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Cheap HID Spotties, Koni shocks with 40mm Lift, Cooper AT3, Ultra Guage,Stedi ST4000 Light Bar, HPD Catch Can, Dash Cam

To go where very few have gone before

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

First thing you want to do is work out why you need a swag.

Do you just want the convenience of throwing one on the ground for quick, easy overnight stops? Do you intend to camp for a week at a time in it? Your self or a partner sharing? Likely temperature of the areas you wish to use it in. Thick or thin mattress....how comfy do you like to sleep. Do you feel safe sleeping on ground level or would a bed based swag suit you better?

I,ve had various swags over the years but found that as 99% of my camping is in warm to hot regions a simple lightweight tarp and a 75mm mattress was best. Combined with a small instant up 2 man mesh tent camping was easy. Set up time under 5 minutes. Dozens of different styles but first you have to work out exactly how you want to camp. Many tent like swags would see you boil in top end heat. Open airy ones would see you freeze in a Perth winter.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 1 Week Ago

hey mate,

we just bought our son a new oztent bunker pro...

great in summer as it has plenty of midgy-proof openings for ventilation and can be closed up and protected from rain also, with a separate fly that covers the whole unit.

expensive, but i see it as a lifetime purchase...

pair it with a decent self-inflating mattress and you should be good to go.

only downside is that whilst it packs up pretty small, it isn't the lightest thing going...
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Do you just want the convenience of throwing one on the ground for quick, easy overnight stops? Do you intend to camp for a week at a time in it? Your self or a partner sharing? Likely temperature of the areas you wish to use it in. Thick or thin mattress....how comfy do you like to sleep. Do you feel safe sleeping on ground level or would a bed based swag suit you better?

We travel all year round with the coldest we have slept in is -2 in the goldfields and 32 overnight near Wittenoom. Most of our stops are overnight although on occasions we have camped for 3 to 4 days. It would be a double swag for the two of us although maybe a Single king unsure if this would be too small. Thick mattress sleeping on the ground although may move to a camp bed as age and injuries start to catch up on us. Looking for a quick setup uptime.

I have heard that Darche is the best brand. But some people swear by the Kings brand.
MY14 GLX-R Pajero, Modified Brown Davis Intercoola & Sump Plates, Bushskinz Rear Bumper Protector, Bushskinz Transmission & Transfer Plates, ARB Bullbar, Warn Zeon 10-s Winch, Cheap HID Spotties, Koni shocks with 40mm Lift, Cooper AT3, Ultra Guage,Stedi ST4000 Light Bar, HPD Catch Can, Dash Cam

To go where very few have gone before

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I,d go for a double swag and a decent self inflating mattress..

Such as...https://www.snowys.com.au/bandit-swag-1400

and

https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-10-duo

Having just one swag to roll up and one mattress to de-air is easier. The Exped mattresses are a must! Guaranteed good night sleep. Many mattress,s that come with the swag leave a lot to be desired..

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I used a swag for a while, but ended up ditching them. I found set up time pretty much the same as a small tent, with less room, larger and heavier, and not as versatile. I sleep in temps down to -10

That's just my experience, and plenty of friends use swags consistently and still love them
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
I used a swag for a while, but ended up ditching them. I found set up time pretty much the same as a small tent, with less room, larger and heavier, and not as versatile. I sleep in temps down to -10

That's just my experience, and plenty of friends use swags consistently and still love them
I have similar feelings.

I once bought a pair of "biker swags" from a Grays Auction, but they were stolen from storage before I could collect (so I received a refund). They are the only swags I've ever owned - but I never saw them, much less used them.

I use a pop-up tent for touring, and a slightly larger OzTent 4 person tent (about right for 2) for longer stays. If I'm feeling inspired, and trust the weather, I'll forgo the tent and sleep on a groundsheet.

My pop-up tent appears faster & easier to set up than most modern swags, and it keeps me dry when it rains - where some swag owners feel the need to string a tarp over their swag in wet weather, extending the set-up & pack-up times. With a 50mm Thermarest and a quality down sleeping bag I'm warm in temperatures down to -5. Separate tent, mattress & sleeping bag are easier to make fit into the 4by than most swags I've seen - but this was more of an issue with Shorty than it is with the NT.

I can't rule out ever owning / using a swag, but it's not currently high on my list of potential purchases.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

All my friends with swags set them up under a gazebo or tarp. Recent club hunt it proved wise when it started raining as my tent decided to leak at the top and I had nowhere dry to hang out. I do wonder what the point is of the swag with waterproof cover already over the top
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I,d go for a double swag and a decent self inflating mattress..

Such as...https://www.snowys.com.au/bandit-swag-1400

and

https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-10-duo

Having just one swag to roll up and one mattress to de-air is easier. The Exped mattresses are a must! Guaranteed good night sleep. Many mattress,s that come with the swag leave a lot to be desired..
I totally agree regarding the Exped mat. Best thing Iíve bought in a long while. I have neck issues and am extremely sensitive to mattress quality/comfort and for the Exped Megamat awsome. In fact, I got soft last holidays and stayed in a holiday house but the houseís mattress was so bad I was wishing Iíd brought my Exped Megamat so I could have slept on the floor.

However , instead of a swag, I think the ultimate setup would be an Exped Megamat with an instant pop up tent (smaller & lighter packed up, more internal space, and less internal moisture on cold nights)

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Booís guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 1 Week Ago

Have a kings and itís been good for the $$ - but just bought my daughter a Darche swag for her 18th - head and shoulders better - if you can afford it go Darche
Bushskinz bashplates and sliders