Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > General Info

General Info Pros and cons of different makes and models (incl. international)

Old 07-09-20

Default Provent or Flashlube catch can

I spoke to a mechanic today about fitting a catch can. I had decided on fitting the Provent but they only deal with Flashlube. When I asked if they can fit a Provent can she said it's the same thing, just another brand both made by Mann & Hummel... perhaps I misinterpreted? I can't find any thing online that suggests Flashlube is made by Mann & Hummel.
2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OEM alloy nudge bar, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R17 116T, Old Man Emu suspension, BushSkinz alloy intercooler & sump bash plates, BushSkinz steel side steps/sliders, ARB alloy mesh rack, work in progress...
Old 07-09-20
Resident

Looking at the pictures, they're not the same. Flashlube claims their product is better than the ProVent 200 - as they would. Why would Flashlube claim theirs is superior, if it really is the same product?

Ask her to provide evidence in writing to confirm what she has told you.

If she cannot prove that what she says is true then she may be guilty of making a misrepresentation during contract negotiations - which is illegal.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 07-09-20

Adding onto this I was told that the 4M41 isn't necessarily prone to the issue of the build up in the manifold. The triton engine is a different story. Although not a bad idea to do the maintenance and keep it clean, probably isn't totally necessary until 200k plus. This is however dependent on the type of driving you do and the fuel you're using. Alarm bells are ringing with this mob.
2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OEM alloy nudge bar, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R17 116T, Old Man Emu suspension, BushSkinz alloy intercooler & sump bash plates, BushSkinz steel side steps/sliders, ARB alloy mesh rack, work in progress...
Old 07-09-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willneill View Post
Adding onto this I was told that the 4M41 isn't necessarily prone to the issue of the build up in the manifold. The triton engine is a different story. Although not a bad idea to do the maintenance and keep it clean, probably isn't totally necessary until 200k plus. This is however dependent on the type of driving you do and the fuel you're using. Alarm bells are ringing with this mob.

And alarm bells should ring as they have no idea wehat they are talking about. Buy the provent and have a mate help you fit it...its not really hard. Even ask on here if any one is local and could give you a hand for a couple of dollars, a beer or just as a good deed. Good luck.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 07-09-20
Resident

I'm with Dicko - run away.

They don't know what they're talking about - either they're too stupid to know what they don't know, or they're lying to you to cover that they don't know.

Either way, not a company to trust with your hard-earned money.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 07-09-20

So called another stockist and they confirmed that the Flashlube can is made by Mann & Hummel. It's a licensing thing and apparently on the packaging says it's Mann & Hummel.
Old 07-09-20
Valued Member

Quote:
So called another stockist and they confirmed that the Flashlube can is made by Mann & Hummel. It's a licensing thing and apparently on the packaging says it's Mann & Hummel.

I dont care about the manufacture of the unit. I was more concerned with stating that the Paj motor wasn,t prone to gunk build up. Ring around and get quotes too fit...buy the unit your self.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 07-09-20
Resident

Quote:
It may be made by Mann & Hummel, but it is not "the same thing". Looks different, Flashlube publish graphs to claim that it performs better. Not "the same thing" - calling it "the same thing" is simply wrong.

If the mob you're dealing with were any good at what they do their sales spiel should be "The Flashlube product is manufactured by Mann & Hummel to Flashlube specifications, and out-performs the ProVent 200."

Not "it's the same thing."

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 07-09-20

Quote:
I would avoid this mob. They clearly have no idea.

I have a provent and it was really easy to fit. If you have enough mechanical skills to fit a radiator hose, you can fit a provent.
Old 07-09-20

I got mine from western filters. Good price and very helpful on the phone.