Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 27-12-12

Default Pajero Transfer Case Lever Repair Gen 2 Pajero

Hi all I have just completed repairing the bushing on the Transfer Case Control Lever in a 1998 NL Pajero Auto. I guess this repair would be the same for all Gen 2 with super select/all trac.

I have compiled a "how I did it" for those contemplating this repair. I am not a mechanic, if you are going to do this repair please research the shop manual etc thoroughly.

You will need as a minimum:
One bush: MD701605
One small zip tie (to retie the top of the conical boot)
Manufacturer reccomended sealant
A hydraulic shop press or access to one (to remove the pin)do not hammer it out you will wreck it or the shaft))
A 6MM pin punch (to drive the pin out using the press)
Socket set
Spanners
Screw drivers
Wire cutters

I have not included removing the centre console as I am sure that is covered elsewhere.

I placed the transfer control lever into 4H then proceded to remove the rubber boot: unplug the wiring harness on the RHS, two black clips (you need to do this to access the top and bottom right bolts). Undo the six bolts, lift the metal surround out, then lift up and fold back the rubber boot, you cannot pull it over the lever without tearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First stage undo the six bolts, on the RHS you see a silver bracket, it has a harness clip which.jpg (79.9 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by peter_au18; 27-12-12 at 06:59 PM.
Old 27-12-12

Default Transfer case control lever continued.

Once you have completed the above procedure you will be faced with the picture below.

You will see 3 nuts and 4 bolts: do not undo the nuts closest to the boot! the attached bolts will drop into the transfer case....bad.

At the back you will see a vacuum pipe leading into the boot and under the two bolts on the passenger side to support tabs, once you undo the bolts remove the clip and pull the tube out it will sit to the side. The photo on the next post shows the tube after the lever has been removed.

Undo the four bolts on the corners and lift the transfer case lever and cover out of the transfer case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Do not undo the 3 nuts at this stage only the 4 bolts.JPG (165.3 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by peter_au18; 27-12-12 at 03:50 PM.
Old 27-12-12
Who ya gunna call....

Nice write up.

Last edited by Goodsy; 27-12-12 at 03:44 PM.
Old 27-12-12

Default Transfer case lever continued.

Once the cover is removed you will be able to see into the transfer case, you will notice hard red bits of junk there, this is the remains of the bushing. Use a large srewdriver and clean them out.

Please note the spring steel rod (looks like a dogs hind leg) it should sit where it is against the right hand fork, if you knock it, it will move to the right, just put it back, you will see that it slips in beside the right hand fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Once the cover is removed, the red bits are what remains of the bushing. you can also see the va.jpg (61.3 KB, 374 views)

Last edited by peter_au18; 28-12-12 at 07:38 AM.
Old 27-12-12

Default Transfer case lever continued.

Now turn your attention to the transfer case lever:

mark everything clearly, take photos etc so you put it back together the way you took it apart. I used a white paint pen to mark forward on everything.

Now undo the three nuts and bolts place to one side. remove the cover and you will see inside: check out the photos.

Note the wire wrapped around the top of the conical boot in photo one, remove and discard, the zip tie will replace the wire at the end of the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lever from the side showing 3 bolts and nuts, undo these for the next step..JPG (139.6 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg Lever from under neath.JPG (159.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Looking inside after bottom plate removed, remians of the bushing..jpg (60.7 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Top of the plate showing more junk..jpg (62.4 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg View showing the vacuum take off..JPG (77.2 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by peter_au18; 27-12-12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 27-12-12

Ok now the fun begins! pull the conical rubber boot up from the metal plate and as far above the spring as you can, on top you will see a circlip (photo 1), remove this (it will fly off be carefull) now everything will be loose. Degrease and clean everything at this stage.

You will need a press or access to a press at this stage, use the 6 mm pin punch and the press to remove the pin. do not use a hammer to attempt to drive the pin out! Ensure you support the shaft properly. More photos of the pin prior to removal on the last post, cant post any more here.

Once the pin is removed you can give a final clean ready for the new bush Part Number MD701605
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Circlip just above my fingers,.JPG (131.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg Pin pressed out and ready for clean.JPG (141.8 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg The bush from Mitsubishi $25.00.jpg (68.2 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg Pin punch used to press pin out.JPG (135.0 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg Support the lever, using the shaft on the left and the square section on the right.JPG (108.6 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by peter_au18; 27-12-12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 27-12-12

All right into the meat of the project: Slide all of the removed parts back onto the shaft followed by the lightly greased bush, once lined up tap the pin into the hole to hold everything together.

Place into your press and push the pin into position, I lined it up so that it was even both sides.

Place more grease underneath the bush and then refit the conical boot, dont panic it will come down just takes patience and perserverance. Throwing it against the wall will not help at this point! First push pry and finesse over the circular piece of metal under my thumb in picture 3, then push it under the triangular piece of metal which acts as a clamp which you can see slightly offset in picture one.

Put some sealent on the gasket and then refit the three bolts and nuts ensuring everything is lined up as it originally was, including the vacuum port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pin tapped in ready to press.JPG (69.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Set up for pressing the pin back in..JPG (127.2 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg New bush in and lined up.JPG (87.4 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg As before different view.JPG (135.4 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg All back together, I used a small zip tie to seal the top of the boot..JPG (75.2 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by peter_au18; 27-12-12 at 03:38 PM.
Old 27-12-12

Smile Transfer case control lever continued.

All right now putting the lever back in: ensure the spring (wire is postioned into the center of the two arms as per the attached picture), ensure you use good sealant on the joints, it will drop back in when positioned correctly.

Read the manual prior to attempting this, I am not a mechanic and have provided this as a record of what I did. Any mechanics please provide more accurate info at any time.

The rest is the opposite of dissasembly.

Be careful when putting the front part of the centre console back in, when you reach underneath to align the transfer case lever into the boot....the metal surround of the boot is extremely sharp...trust me.

Hope this helps anyone else thinking of doing this, allow a day of easy work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The two screws that will give you a headache. One here and on the other corner, use a shifter to.JPG (149.5 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg The spring (the rod that looks like a dogs hind leg!) runs bottom to top it will rest against th.jpg (60.6 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Showing the pim before removal, the bush is totally gone..JPG (121.2 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Another view of pin..JPG (141.1 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by peter_au18; 28-12-12 at 07:23 AM.
Old 31-12-12

An update post repair, all I can say is just like a bought one!, the lever movement and mode selction is now precise.

Well worth the 25 bucks and a few hours work.

Happy new year
Old 22-09-14

Smile Fulcrum ball replacement

Even though I have a Challenger the set up is the same. Your info has been so helpful. Thank you. Best information I have found.