Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 15-09-20

Default Radiator Flush

Hi all,
Can I please get advice on a radiator flush on my NP. I have notice recently a slight elevation in temp showing on my gauge (or at least I think so). The gauge is presently sitting just below the half way mark which may be acceptable. Iím pretty sure it was previously sitting a little less than that. Maybe nothing however, itís prompted me to consider flushing the radiator. Any advice would be appreciated on the steps to undertake and a suitable flushing agent. If someone could also advise where to locate the radiator drain plug.
Many thanks, Pebbles
Old 17-09-20

Hey pebbles.
The radiator drain is on the passenger side at the bottom ( assuming it's the same as nm).
I recently tried flushing my radiator without luck.
I removed the hoses and shoved a hose in the top with a rubber seal that I had in the shed. Seemed to flush ok, but obviously went through the clean areas and just around the clogged areas, as it was still blocked afterwards.

To flush the engine I removed the upper and lower hoses and the thermostat, then flushed through with a hose until it was clear. I then put the hoses back on and ran the engine until it was warm with just water in the system. The drained and repeated until clear (careful to not put cold water into a warm engine, otherwise you might crack the head).

There is quite alot of information on the forum about the fan clutch which often appears to be an issue. Wasn't for me, but worthwhile checking before you do too much!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

The best way to check if you have an obstruction in the cooling system is to take the car out and drive it up a steep hill. If you have a problem, it will soon show itself. As said above, the cause is usually the fan clutch. To check this, get the engine up to operating temperature and have someone turn the engine off while you watch the fan. It should stop immediately - certainly within 0.5 seconds. If it keeps turning, the clutch is stuffed and needs new fluid or complete replacement.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Radiator Flush

Hi Richyd and Erad,

Many thanks for your reply. Since my post I have been doing a lot of reading and taking note of previous posts on this topic. I conducted a suggested test in bringing the engine to temperature followed by turning the ignition off. The result being, the fan continued to rotate for quite a few revolutions which I understand should not be happening if the alacementfan clutch was operating correctly. Hence, I have no choice but to assume my clutch is malfunctioning. For quite a while I had made up my mind to do as number of other members have done and that is service the clutch by replacing the viscous oil. During a phone conversation with a technical representative at Nulon it was highly recommended to not go down this path, but to bite the bullet and replace the clutch. Although the oil replacement was an option, who knows how long this may have worked. A decision had to be made. I have had the car since new and have tried very hard over the past 16 years to keep it in very good order. Hence, I feel it worth going the extra dollars ($230 in this case) to keep it that way. Iíd be pretty disappointed if itís not the clutch, my bet however, is that it is. Everything on this vehicle apart from the computer module is original and as they say, nothing lasts forever. I propose to change over the radiator and thermostat in the next month or so also. Just waiting to see the result of the clutch change over. Once again guys, thank you for your assistance. I found the radiator cock and also a tutorial on radiator replacement. So armed with all this new found knowledge, Iím a dangerous man.
Safe travels, regards.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

You are not out of the woods yet with this problem. The radiator has a plastic top and bottom header tank, and plastic hardens over the years, so be very careful if you are going to remove radiator hoses etc because you may crack the connection. Hope your fan clutch does the job for you.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Radiator Flush

Thanks Erad, comment noted. I wonít be touching the hoses until I replace the radiator.