Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 30-08-20
Resident

Default Tyre Topic: Yokohama Geolandar X-AT G016

This Tyre Topic is for members to post about Yokohama Geolandar X-AT G016. Post your thoughts on grip, noise, wear, airing down, or anything else you consider of interest to other members.

Yokohama Geolandar X-AT G016.

Rules for Tyre Topics:
  • Tyre Topics are intended to be information sources. Both positive and negative reports are encouraged.
  • Tyre Topics are NOT for slanging matches. Any posts which don't contain useful information may be deleted.
  • Please post first hand accounts only - "my tyres" or "I saw" reports. Any "mate said" or "I heard" stories may be deleted.
  • Comparisons with other tyres are acceptable, if they contain first hand accounts (see above.) "Buy XXX instead" opinions (without first hand stories to back them up) are not.

An index of Tyre Topics can be found in the Tyre Topics Index.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 31-08-20

Looks like somewhere between a BFG KO2 and Cooper AT3... interested to see the feedback.

Last edited by old Jack; 31-08-20 at 05:54 AM.
Old 31-08-20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
Looks like somewhere between a BFG KO2 and Cooper AT3... interested to see the feedback.
Hi Miner,

Sorry I went to post a reply and accidental edited your post, hopefully it is returned to your original.

In real life the X-AT is a heavy duty hybrid AT/MT so it is much more aggressive than the BFG AT.

It is similar to the Cooper ST Maxx, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, Kumho MT51, Goodyear DuraTrac, Nitto Ridge Grappler and the Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 31-08-20
Valued Member

I found a local (Ozzie) bloke who has had them for 30,000+ ks and seems impressed. Read a few reviews of them and all have commented about the relatively low road noise. Naturally as they get more k,s on them I,d expect them to get just as noisy as any at/mt tyre. Rather an expensive tyre though.

http://andrewprice.net.au/2020/05/05...ong-term-test/

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 31-08-20

Thanks OJ... didnít realise it was more aligned with the STMaxx, more similar looking now you mention it.

Interesting to see that the website still lists the G012... at the risk of hijacking the thread, thatís another story though.
Old 31-08-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I found a local (Ozzie) bloke who has had them for 30,000+ ks and seems impressed. Read a few reviews of them and all have commented about the relatively low road noise. Naturally as they get more k,s on them I,d expect them to get just as noisy as any at/mt tyre. Rather an expensive tyre though.

http://andrewprice.net.au/2020/05/05...ong-term-test/
$360 at Bob Jane.

$336 at Tyroola.
Old 02-09-20

Ok njswb, I guess I will get around to it...

I put a set of the Yoki X-AT's (265/70 R17 load 121) on about 7000km ago to replace the Falken MT01's which did not perform to my liking (see here).

These are a strong 3 ply sidewall with aggressive-ish tread/side biters and are made in Japan.

So far they have only seen about 10 days of off-road use including two flinders trips and a day trip to Eagle View. The rest has been commute on the bitumen unfortunately.

Impressions so far are they have good grip levels on road, both wet and dry conditions. They are fairly quiet, but at the 5k they were getting a bit noisier, but the scheduled rotation fixed this. I do however have rear alignment set for a medium load, hence for daily duties this is not optimal and induces toe wear, but limits the wear when loaded for trips (have been fewer due to the current conditions). The main problem with IRS in a 4wd unfortunately, and not the tyres fault, hence why I do 5k rotations.

After a similar amount of off-road work with the Falken MT01's, I was seeing considerable tread lug damage. This is not occurring with the Yoki's, so I am happy with this. Grip levels are consistent with previous tyres (Kumho MT51's and the Falken MT01's) in general. They held up pretty well in steep, loose accent/descents and inspire confidence. The recent trip to the flinders saw some rain, and they held true over wet clay roads where I suspected they may suffer due to the less aggressive tread pattern. Sidewalls are not as firm as the MT01's, but firmer than the MT51's. At low pressures and steep rocky work, they have held up well, but are also comfortable at highway pressures on road.

As OJ mentioned in another post, on one of these trips two other forum members had failure of a D697 and a MT Deegan AT, so conditions were not "easy".

Short term impressions have been good, and since I picked them up for around $250 each (have to love February specials), so far they appear to be good value. Will update with a longer term review after more punishment.
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers
Old 02-09-20

Are these Yokoís a Light Truck spec. The load rating would indicate so, but I can find the LT in the specs sheets. I am just sniffing around for a new set of LT A/Tís and these look interesting.
Old 02-09-20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DID Dash View Post
Are these Yoko’s a Light Truck spec. The load rating would indicate so, but I can find the LT in the specs sheets. I am just sniffing around for a new set of LT A/T’s and these look interesting.
https://www.yokohama.com.au/our-rang...ndar-x-at-g016
https://www.bobjane.com.au/a/265-65r...riant_id=29049
https://www.bobjane.com.au/a/265-70r...riant_id=25486
265/65R17 120Q and 265/70R17 121Q are both light truck construction 10 ply rated.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Last edited by old Jack; 02-09-20 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-09-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DID Dash View Post
Are these Yokoís a Light Truck spec. The load rating would indicate so, but I can find the LT in the specs sheets. I am just sniffing around for a new set of LT A/Tís and these look interesting.
Yes they are a LT spec tyre. With a 3 ply sidewall they are are at the tougher end of the hybrid AT/MT field like MT51s, STMaxx, ATZP3, KO2s and the new Maxxis Razr AT.
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers