• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figjam4734
    • Sep 2016
    • Sydney

Regional connectivity with a mobile repeater

Hi All,
    I’m looking for a solution as I’m often off the grid. I’ve been looking at vehicle mounted Telstra repeaters and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Any and all advice appreciated.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • aaron.miller
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Epping, NSW

I have come up with the following solutions in order of cost:
    1. Purchase a Telstra 4g wifi dongle and a high gain broom stick aerial covering the Next G and 4GX frequencies. Throw a rope over a high branch and pull the aerial up as high as you can allowing for the length of the aerial cable. Connect the cable via a patch lead to the 4g dongle. Assuming you have a modern phone connect phone to wifi dongle and turn on wifi calling. Then when the aerial is able to pick up a signal, probably minimum 2 bars 3g you will make and receive calls like normal on the phone. I did this successfully in Barrington Tops connected to a tower at least 50km away
    You could do this with the aerial mounted on the car but the pins for the patch lead into the 4g dongle are only held in by friction and fall out.

2. Get a rvwifi unit and mount broomstick aerial on roof of car, then use the wifi calling. The aerial screws on so no issues with it falling out.

3. Get a Celfi Go, this will help with boosting phone signal but only if you are in line of sight of the tower. You would still need aerial on the roof of the car or up the tree when camping.

Aaron
    2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by aaron.miller View Post
      I have come up with the following solutions in order of cost:
      1. Purchase a Telstra 4g wifi dongle and a high gain broom stick aerial covering the Next G and 4GX frequencies. Throw a rope over a high branch and pull the aerial up as high as you can allowing for the length of the aerial cable. Connect the cable via a patch lead to the 4g dongle. Assuming you have a modern phone connect phone to wifi dongle and turn on wifi calling. Then when the aerial is able to pick up a signal, probably minimum 2 bars 3g you will make and receive calls like normal on the phone. I did this successfully in Barrington Tops connected to a tower at least 50km away
      You could do this with the aerial mounted on the car but the pins for the patch lead into the 4g dongle are only held in by friction and fall out.

2. Get a rvwifi unit and mount broomstick aerial on roof of car, then use the wifi calling. The aerial screws on so no issues with it falling out.

3. Get a Celfi Go, this will help with boosting phone signal but only if you are in line of sight of the tower. You would still need aerial on the roof of the car or up the tree when camping.

Aaron
      . Get a Celfi Go, this will help with boosting phone signal but only if you are in line of sight of the tower. Very sure that you do not have to have line of sight...same as your mobile does not have line of site. No mention of line of sight in any literature I could find as I was contemplating getting a unit as well... If incorrect please let me know. Cheers.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Figjam4734
        • Sep 2016
        • Sydney

Thanks for the input. I’ve purchased the Cel-Fi solution extra cable and the biggest antenna they had. I will test it over the Christmas break and report on the results.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Figjam4734 View Post
          Thanks for the input. I’ve purchased the Cel-Fi solution extra cable and the biggest antenna they had. I will test it over the Christmas break and report on the results.

Look forward to the results.

cheers
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• JoshF
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Brisbane

Is this unique to the Pajero Sport and its threads?
            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Figjam4734
              • Sep 2016
              • Sydney

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
              Is this unique to the Pajero Sport and its threads?

No I wouldn’t say that. Should have been more conscious when I posted.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Fixed.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• silver_back
                  • Feb 2009
                  • williamstown, Melbourne

Would be keen to hear an update on how well this worked?
                  2010-NT Active DID Auto Silver, ARB deluxe Bull Bar, 9500lb winch, Airtech Snorkle, Tow bar, Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70/17, HID Spotties, dual battery system, rear work light, Wind Cheetah roof rack, Bushskinz full under body proetction and side steps, 2" lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB front air locker, on board Compressor, home made rear storage shelf/system.

Comment

• Flying
                    • Jul 2016
                    • Sydney

Im also looking at a similar setup and would love to hear how it worked. Cheers
                    White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

I have read other forums with people who have fitted the telstra cel wi fi booster..everyone was pleased with the results. Definitely boosted their range for the mobile.
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Bimmy
                        • May 2019
                        • Melbourne

Signal booster

It's a common problem. I recommend getting a signal booster, check out myamplifiers where you can choose one. It helps to get a decent connection.

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Bimmy View Post
                          It's a common problem. I recommend getting a signal booster, check out myamplifiers where you can choose one. It helps to get a decent connection.

Just be sure that they are certified for use in Australia. Big penalties for anyone caught using illegal gear. In actual fact I cant find anything on the suggested site stating that the products meet the Australian Communications and Media Authority.
                          Last edited by Dicko1; 11-06-20, 09:01 PM.
                          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

I actually thought mobile phone boosters weren't allowed at all. Good to hear that isn't the case.

I've thought about something similar. I know on older phones with removable batteries that there was actually small SMA (I think) connectors that you could plug an antenna into. I never got around to playing with that.

I should look into a booster. I kind of like not having reception most of the time, but its nice to be able to shoot out a message if needed or update maps etc at times

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                              I actually thought mobile phone boosters weren't allowed at all. Good to hear that isn't the case.

I've thought about something similar. I know on older phones with removable batteries that there was actually small SMA (I think) connectors that you could plug an antenna into. I never got around to playing with that.

I should look into a booster. I kind of like not having reception most of the time, but its nice to be able to shoot out a message if needed or update maps etc at times

" Cel-Fi is the only consumer mobile phone repeater that has been widely approved by all mobile carriers in Australia. Currently approved for use on the Telstra, Optus and Vodafone mobile networks, Cel-Fi is a new type of mobile enhancement device called a Smart Repeater."

The link that another person put up (first post with advertising, so I,m assuming a scammer) . Illegal ones can create all sorts of problems with networks if used. As I said...get caught and big fines apply.
                              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X