• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 72pug
    • Aug 2007
    • Brisbane

3.8 MIVEC Fuel Consumption

Hi folks,
    Sorry if this topic was done to death on the old forum, but due to the fact it ca'nt be accessed i need to ask again...

Interested to know from Actual Owners of AUTOMATIC 3.8 Mivec powered Pajero's what the Best/Worst/Average fuel consumption is to be expected.....

...previously owned a Auto D-i-D (2005 Model), but interested to make a comparison with the latest 3.8 petrol, .Anyway, thanks in advance for any feedback,

Also, as i always run my petrol powered vehicles on 98 octane, has anyone done the same with their 3.8 and had any gains,

Cheers,

Pug.
  • 72pug
    • Aug 2007
    • Brisbane

.Thanks for the link, have had a look but so far it wo'nt allow navigation past the first page....thanks anyway,

Pug.

Comment

• 72pug
      • Aug 2007
      • Brisbane

So, Any NS 3.8 Owners out there got any Fuel Figures they want to share yet ..........?...........Do'nt be Shy, surely someone has.

Have tried the above link in vain, still only permits to see the first page,

Pug.

Comment

• rafman
        • Jul 2007
        • Sydney

Pug, my SWB X has been pretty heavy on fuel usage (am disappointed, cause the economy sticker shows an average of 13.5 well I'd love to see them show me that as an average.

On my typical 30 min drive to work in heavy traffic, I average around 21L/100km which is pretty shocking I know... as soon as I include a bit of general driving around that number goes down to the very high 19's. Highway only driving, which I unfortunately don't get to do much of gives me around 13.5-15.

By the way thats all on 98, I find that it gives me about 5-10% better economy than 95.

And finally nope I'm not a heavy footed driver, believe me thats with me taking it fairly easy on the accelerator, I simply cant afford to put my foot down....
        -----------------------
        NS SWB-X, Nudge bar, Towbar, Sunroof, GPS, Rear cam
        -----------------------

Comment

• 72pug
          • Aug 2007
          • Brisbane

.........Rafman, Thankyou for your reply,

Krikey, that is a heavy figure to take considering a number of factors, (better fuel, supposedly more refined Mivec head, and lower torque peak)hopefully for you the figure will drop as the engine beds in . Usually after around 12-15,000k it should get better, but still is uninspiring eh!

Looks like i may eventually get myself into another D-I-D, but want to hold off until the few small niggles of DPF etc are resolved.

Thanks again,

Pug.

Comment

• rafman
            • Jul 2007
            • Sydney

Well hopefully she will improve with time, at the moment I'm just shy of 2000km so got a long way to go... though I'm sure it can only improve marginally at best

I tried the diesel, but to be honest found it wayyyy to noisy for me and also don't think its appropriate for my kinda driving.
            -----------------------
            -----------------------

Comment

• snoop75
              • Jul 2007
              • Melbourne West

I have a SWB X 3.8 V6.

My average figure since I bought the car (800km on the clock) is 15.3L/100km. I do a mixture of town / freeway driving.

I've had it as low as 11.7L on the freeway and as high as 19L-20L around town - all this with a pretty light foot.

It's a great little truck otherwise

Originally posted by 72pug View Post
              So, Any NS 3.8 Owners out there got any Fuel Figures they want to share yet ..........?...........Do'nt be Shy, surely someone has.

Have tried the above link in vain, still only permits to see the first page,

Pug.
              NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

• 72pug
                • Aug 2007
                • Brisbane

Thanks for the replies Folks, it's good to get a bit of a pattern re the New (er) Mivec 3.8 Versus the original 3.8 and even the old 3.5 that came with the original NM Pajero.

Although the power figures have increased in a linear way, the Torque figures have not had a dramatic gain, and that's why i thought with the latest model having the torque peak being at 2750RPM , the Economy gains would be better ....especially with a light footed driving style.

As a said before, it will be interesting to see what a fully bedded-in 3.8 will achieve down the track.

At the end of the day i guess it's swings and roundabouts when it comes to which choice everyone makes, but either way i reckon the vehicles are a 'crackin bit of value' for what you can get them for / and what they come with standard!!

Personally looking fwd to getting my busted body into another.

Thanks again for the input,

Pug.

Comment

• macguru
                  • Jul 2007

My SWB R 3.8 gets 13-15L/100km around town as measured at the pump, despite ridiculous figures showing on the economy guage when you first start up........

It has done 8500 kms. It is ok in my opinion, but not much better on the highway , i believe because of the wind resistance.
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
                  1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

• rafman
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Sydney

Just spoke to my uncle who also has a SWB X, he is averaging 15.4 and does a mix of traffic/freeway driving. Looks like I am going to have to do more freeway driving to bring my numbers down...
                    -----------------------
                    -----------------------

Comment

• snoop75
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Melbourne West

One strange thing I've noticed is that fuel economy is very sensitive on the Pajero.

For example.. On the way to work I typically get around 16L/100. On the way back from work, taking the same route, I have had it as low as 11.7L/100. And this is quite typical... always get a few liters/100 higher on the way to work. The only thing I can put it down to is that work is at a higher altitude than my home.

If I was climbing Everest I could understand but my work is only 10 or so Km away and it's freeway most of the way (Western Ring Road in Melbourne, northbound) so I wouldn't think that a freeway could be so steep to affect fuel economy that much.

Being a 3.8L V6 you'd think it wouldn't be so sensitive.

I'd be curious to hear if there is anything that can be done to help fuel economy. Here's some ideas:

1. Engine "bedding in" - this is not yet proven and by some people's reports hapens around 10,000-15,000km.
                      2. Tyre pressures. What's the optimal tyre pressure? I'm running mine at 45psi
                      3. K&N air filter - anybody tried this? I had one on my old car. Not sure if it helped. I've heard it's not good off-road, but you could always use the original filter for off-road and K&N for around town.
                      4. Dyno tuning? Anyone tried this? Once again my old car gained power & increased fuel economy once it was dyno tuned.
                      4. Aerodynamics - guess this can't be helped. NS has aerodynamic properties of a house brick.
                      NS Shortie, Petrol Guzzler, Tow-Bar, Nudge-Bar, Rear Diff Lock, Rhino Sports roof bars, Newbee 4x4 Driver.

Comment

• aklimatize
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Brisbane

my figures match rafman's ..... 16.6 on the average .... mainly city but with highway runs thrown in ..... city traffic runs at 16-19 and highway runs come down to 13 - 14.

I always run shell v-power 98

However I'm about to do a run to Byron from Brisbane through the hinterland on V-racing Max 100.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Cheers
                        James

Comment

+/- 17litre/100km

Hi, for additional info.

Mine is an NP model, built Sep 03, 3.8 litre automatic. It consumes approx. 17+ litre / 100km on suburbia roads where the majority of time it is driven around (home office). No major congestion most of the time but definitely no freeway either.

Regards,

Comment

• Scar
                            • Aug 2007

NS LWB Figures

A quick post to let everyone know about my figures.
                            Is a LWB Poverty pack 3.8l with work tools etc in back (maybe 50kg-100kg) Rhino roof bars and a ladder on top.
                            Generally all start stop city driving with a few long highway runs etc.

Never actually worked out milage manually but the dash on manual displayed 15.5.
                            I had a lift last week (with battery disconnect) and have done no long runs etc and now the maunaul figure is at 16.6.
                            I know people at work that have a AWD Territory and they average around 14 aound town.

Is a work car so we fill up at BP and i use 95 fuel always.

Cheers
                            Jason

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X