Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 06-08-15

Default LED Light in Rear Door

Hi all,

I've searched threads but maybe with the wrong key words as I'm pretty sure this would have been already covered.

Just putting the finishing touches on the rear drawer system but noticed that I can't see jack .... at night.

Has anyone installed lighting in the cargo door trim? Was looking at either an LED interior lamp powered off the open door circuit (independently fused and switched) or a couple of 30mm LED rounds in the access covers about mid way down each side.

My reading of wiring diagrams isn't great but the Challenger open door light looks to be switched via the latch rather than the usual body mounted spring loaded button switches. Can anyone confirm for me?

Cheers
Wes
2014 Auto PC Challenger with TJM Bullbar, HID converted IPFs, Uniden UHF, ARB Roof Rack with Kings Awning & LED, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 Copper ST Maxxs, 80AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco. Custom rear drawer system, 1/2 cargo barrier and tilt fridge slide. HR Towbar, Ultimate Suspension, Brown Davis LR tank, Piranha Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, SPV EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip

Next mods - Lockup Mate, LED Light Bar
Old 06-08-15
Valued Member

I run a 1m long 5630led strip which is wired to the main rear switch. Awesome $20 fitted
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 06-08-15

Thanks mate and sounds perfect.

Is the rear main switch activated by the latch?

Cheers
Wes
2014 Auto PC Challenger with TJM Bullbar, HID converted IPFs, Uniden UHF, ARB Roof Rack with Kings Awning & LED, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 Copper ST Maxxs, 80AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco. Custom rear drawer system, 1/2 cargo barrier and tilt fridge slide. HR Towbar, Ultimate Suspension, Brown Davis LR tank, Piranha Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, SPV EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip

Old 06-08-15
Valued Member

When door opens, unlocked by remote and you can turn it on and of by original switch.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 06-08-15

Many thanks Rovingman,

Is the strip mounted on the rear door or inside the luggage area?

When you say main rear switch, is this the switch in the original cargo area light?

Cheers
Wes

Old 07-08-15
Valued Member

Within the rear door itself (which is what I think your after), the latch/unlatch mechanism is powered via the ETACS ECU, so I'd be reluctant to attach additional items to that circuitry without knowing more about its capacity/sensitivity. Moreover, it's likely that the circuit is only momentarily powered when the latch/unlatch is pressed.

There's ingition switched power at the wiper motor if that's of any use to you.
Old 07-08-15
Valued Member

Yes cargo switch, i just stuck it to the roof lining, 6 months hasn't moved. ill put up some pics. this arvo.
Old 07-08-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbrown View Post
Within the rear door itself (which is what I think your after), the latch/unlatch mechanism is powered via the ETACS ECU,
Thanks Kingbrown and glad you pointed that out. I don't want to be playing near anything powered by the ECU.

Cheers
Wes

Old 07-08-15
Valued Member

Here are some pics of my Rear led light 5m of 5630 led strip ebay. $16.25 and $25 to fit.
I Did not want to do it just in case i stuffed it up plus wasting my time getting the right connections.

It works just like the original interior cargo light, Great in the dark!!!

Old 07-08-15

Thanks Rovingman.

Gives of an awesome amount of light for the price.

I'm probably going to need to understand the wiring to the rear light a little better before I look at connecting to it given as kingbrown advises the ECU controls the door open signal. Guessing there must also be a constant active running to it for the override. Will need to check out if it also routes via the ECU.

Cheers
Wes