Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 05-08-16
Valued Member

That is very handy information. I didnít realise my NP had a filter in the tank so Iíve taken a copy of Philís thread for future reference. Great stuff.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 24-08-16

I received my new filter. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos of the new filter for comparison but there are photos of a new filter from the initial post.

I'm not sure if my filter is clogged or if its wetting on the from diesel. I will leave it for a couple of days to see if it clears.

You can clearly see the spring loaded/floating valve. But even with the new filter te spring seems to be compressed. I wonder why there is a spring if its compressed?

Did the new filter eliminate my surging symptoms? I don't know yet. I'll run the tank low and give feedback.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (61.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (65.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 24-08-16
Valued Member

Bluscape: Looking at the middle photos, I would say that the filter (whilst not totally clean) is not blocked. My guess would be on the spring loaded valve.
Old 17-11-17

Can confirm this problem and the solution. I have a 2011 NT 3.2TD and the exact symptoms and my in tank strainer looked identical when replaced with the new one.
Old 23-07-20

Gotta love this forum! I do!

I have the exact same issue as described on this thread. In my case, the vehicle is a 2010 NT, now at 192,500 odd kms. The issue as described happened twice, both while stopped at traffic lights on public roads. On both instances, the car just abruptly turned off while stopped at the lights. Fuel in tank was around the 1/4 mark, or slightly lower (DTE showing as 160 kms).

I had to turn on the hazard lights, and try to start the car, which refused for the first 2-3 attempts. Some pumping of the accelerator when cranking and the car starts, but I could feel there was a sense of fuel starvation. On both instances (Latest being last evening) I drove straight to the nearest fuel station and fueled up. Once done, all is well, and it feels like what happened earlier was just a bad dream.

I need to order the parts as mentioned on this thread, and give it a go myself, all while ensuring fuel doesn't drop below the 1/2 tank mark. Also found a video on YouTube which describes the process of replacing this filter, which gave me a fair idea of the work involved.
Old 23-07-20
Valued Member

Obviously, the in-tank filter is rather heavily blocked with gunk. When you start the engine, the fuel pump draws a full flow of fuel, using only what the engine needs and returning the rest back to the tank. The losses occurring in the in-tank filter are high enough that the pressure in the fuel line (in the engine bay at least) is going below atmospheric, and you are sucking some air into the fuel system. The engine stops. By filling the tank to over half full, you are bringing the overall pressure in the engine bay and the main filter to enough so that the air leak is not enough to stop the engine. Clean the in-tank filter and your problems should hopefully go away.
Old 24-07-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
Obviously, the in-tank filter is rather heavily blocked with gunk. When you start the engine, the fuel pump draws a full flow of fuel, using only what the engine needs and returning the rest back to the tank. The losses occurring in the in-tank filter are high enough that the pressure in the fuel line (in the engine bay at least) is going below atmospheric, and you are sucking some air into the fuel system. The engine stops. By filling the tank to over half full, you are bringing the overall pressure in the engine bay and the main filter to enough so that the air leak is not enough to stop the engine. Clean the in-tank filter and your problems should hopefully go away.
Thanks a lot for the explanation. Made it very clear to someone not as technically informed as myself. I will ensure the fuel is kept at a safe level to avoid this happening, and till I have the parts with me and ready to embark on this as a DIY. I admit I have never ventured to such DIYs in the past, but this forum and members have been inspirational.
Old 24-07-20
Valued Member

The losses may not all be in the in-tank filter. Your main fuel filter could be blocked to the point where the pressure falls once past this filter. The easiest one to check is the main filter. If it hasn't been replaced for a while, get a new one and do that. Your problems may go away. If they still persist, then it has to be the in-tank filter. Access to this requires you to lift the second row seat and undo a hatch on the right side of the car. Then you get access to the fuel tank and another hatch.

If you are having troubles now, even going up a steep hill could cause fuel starvation because the filter is mounted above the fuel tank level, and going uphill, the difference becomes even greater. Check for hardened or split hoses around your fuel filter, and if they are bad, replace the hoses. Hopefully this will minimise air leaks then. Finding air leaks is very difficult, so it is best to examine the components and replace them if they are suspect.
Old 26-07-20

Quote:
The losses may not all be in the in-tank filter. Your main fuel filter could be blocked to the point where the pressure falls once past this filter. The easiest one to check is the main filter. If it hasn't been replaced for a while, get a new one and do that. Your problems may go away. If they still persist, then it has to be the in-tank filter. Access to this requires you to lift the second row seat and undo a hatch on the right side of the car. Then you get access to the fuel tank and another hatch.
This video will be my guide to replacing the in-tank filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZf...Q&index=2&t=0s

Quote:
If you are having troubles now, even going up a steep hill could cause fuel starvation because the filter is mounted above the fuel tank level, and going uphill, the difference becomes even greater. Check for hardened or split hoses around your fuel filter, and if they are bad, replace the hoses. Hopefully this will minimise air leaks then. Finding air leaks is very difficult, so it is best to examine the components and replace them if they are suspect.
The main fuel filter has been replaced as part of scheduled servicing, however i am certain the in-fuel filter is usually forgotten. Also, the symptoms i face are exactly as described by others on this thread previously, hence the added focus on that being the solution. The car runs perfectly otherwise.
Old 26-07-20
Valued Member

That video is fantastic. I ope that I never have to get in there to replace mine, but now I know what to expect.