Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Auxiliary or replacement tank?

Hi,
Just after peoples information and experience on the auxiliary tanks or ARB replacement tank.
Trying to decide whether I replace the tank outright or just get an auxiliary.
How do people find the extra weight, departure angles etc
I won't be towing but I use a lot of fuel driving around national parks and touring.
Have a 2inch lift and rooftop tent so can't put Jerrys on the roof.

Just like to hear people opinions and experiences to help me make a D.

Thanks
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Here are some older threads to read through while you are waiting for some current opinions.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=61751

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=43950

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=58842

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=58504

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=52729
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I replied in the 61751 thread 2 years ago. With 2 more years of use, I have not changed my view that for me, the way I use my NX, the replacement tank is great.

On positive side, the mid body location shares the extra weight on both axles and not on the rear only. It sits 20mm lower so there's a slight loss of ramp over angle. This hasn't been a issue for me as I am more of a destinatioin 4wder rather than one attempting tough tracks for their own sake and I've had a 40mm lift which is net higher than standard. The biggest stress I had with the new tank (and I'm not sure if the standard tank would be any different) was when heading down a very steep track in the Vic High Country with a 50% full tank. I am not sure where the suction point is, or how it works, but half way down the fuel gauge was teetering on zero. I was worrried about stalling due to no fuel and how I would get down the hill. Didn't happen and, of course, going up the hill on the other side the fuel gauge read 90% full.

I don't have an underbody guard for the tank but am thinking on some light gauge cover sheeting to inhibit scarring when going over rocks etc. The tank is robust and flexible so takes the knocks ok but can score when scraped with an offending sharp rock. I can't afford the weight of a heavy duty guard, even if one exists, but also can't quite think how to attach something light. But over the past 4 years it hasn't been a big issue for me so I may or may not get around to it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I’m the same as Mundy55. I have bashed mine hard, even had to get one of the steel straps replaced when I caught it on a central ridge when I slid off a straddle. But no problem with the tank. Same gauge things as Mundy55 but you get used to it.
The best thing is that you just don’t have to worry about it or muck around with switches or second fillers.

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Baintech powertop aux battery in cargo area (removable), Jaycar battery isolator, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the links. I actually didn't come across many of these in my search. Answered a few questions I had.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I've got the 60L aux tank and while I'm really happy with it as far as giving me great driving range, I need to be mindful of the extra weight in the worst possible place, particularly when I'm towing. The advantage is that when I'm not out touring the country in remote locations, I don't need that extra fuel and can just carry a smaller amount as spare.

If I do have that tank full and towing at the same time, I pump it across to the main tank once it gets down to about half so again, I'm keeping as much weight forward of the rear axle as possible.

I think the fuel gauge problem would bug me on the high country tracks we do a lot so I'm happy with my set up. I've had the car weighed with the tank full and the van hooked up and I'm legal so that's a good thing.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.