Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-14
Fbossie Fbossie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 140
Default Air intake cleaner (diesel)

Just wondering if anyone out here has got experience with the use of an Air intake cleaner on a 3.2 diesel.

I want to clean out the air intake as it seems full of soot so I bought a spay of Liqui Moly diesel intake system cleaner.
I have to disconnect the hose from the air intake but right after at that point is where the air flow meter is located if I`m not mistaken. I was wondering is this will cause any issues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpxoxYmPsc

Last edited by Fbossie; 02-11-14 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-14
dolphin dolphin is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,326
Default

just spray the product into the intake area with the engine running above idle, do it slowly .
__________________
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-14
Easykill1978's Avatar
Easykill1978 Easykill1978 is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne Vic
Posts: 1,734
Send a message via Skype™ to Easykill1978
Default

it shouldnt, since the particulates will be going thru the valves and not the injectors.
__________________
My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-14
Fbossie Fbossie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easykill1978 View Post
it shouldnt, since the particulates will be going thru the valves and not the injectors.
I`m aware but I was more wondering if the air flow meter will send out an error as the turbo outlet will not be connected to the air intake..?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-14
GHendo's Avatar
GHendo GHendo is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 4,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbossie View Post
Just wondering if anyone out here has got experience with the use of an Air intake cleaner on a 3.2 diesel.

I want to clean out the air intake as it seems full of soot so I bought a spay of Liqui Moly diesel intake system cleaner.
I have to disconnect the hose from the air intake but right after at that point is where the air flow meter is located if I`m not mistaken. I was wondering is this will cause any issues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrpxoxYmPsc
Do you intend taking out the air box, and spraying this stuff down the big rubber pipe that connects to the air box - has a diameter of about 100mm ?

If it is this one, the other end clamps directly onto the front of the turbo, so you can just disconnect it down there and pull the whole pipe out to clean it.

Geoff
__________________
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-14
Fbossie Fbossie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHendo View Post
Do you intend taking out the air box, and spraying this stuff down the big rubber pipe that connects to the air box - has a diameter of about 100mm ?

If it is this one, the other end clamps directly onto the front of the turbo, so you can just disconnect it down there and pull the whole pipe out to clean it.

Geoff
Geoff, I was only planning to clean the intake manifold including EGR valve as I expect that this part will only have the serious soot built up from the EGR system. I don't expect the pluming before the EGR joins in (turbo & intercooler) to be really contaminated, but I may be wrong? I`m also not sure whether this cleaning stuff can be run through the turbo?
The instruction video shows also to spray this stuff in before the EGR just past the air flow sensor. So I`m guessing that attached photo is the right location?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (184.8 KB, 165 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-14
Easykill1978's Avatar
Easykill1978 Easykill1978 is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne Vic
Posts: 1,734
Send a message via Skype™ to Easykill1978
Default

clean the intake and block the egr off so it doenst build ip up again.
__________________
My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-14
GHendo's Avatar
GHendo GHendo is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern NSW
Posts: 4,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbossie View Post
Geoff, I was only planning to clean the intake manifold including EGR valve as I expect that this part will only have the serious soot built up from the EGR system. I don't expect the pluming before the EGR joins in (turbo & intercooler) to be really contaminated, but I may be wrong? I`m also not sure whether this cleaning stuff can be run through the turbo?
The instruction video shows also to spray this stuff in before the EGR just past the air flow sensor. So I`m guessing that attached photo is the right location?
Yeah, that is more like what is in the video. Easykill is right about blocking off the EGR - the local diesel specialists suggested it be done to mine years ago. Not sure what model you have - with the NP (like mine) you completely block it off, but with the later models you have to put a small hole or something in the plate - there are plenty of threads on the forum about it.

By the way, where did you buy that stuff - the Liquid Moly ? I think that's the one I tried to buy a while ago and none of the local chaps who stock Liquid Moly have it.

Cheers

Geoff
__________________
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-14
Easykill1978's Avatar
Easykill1978 Easykill1978 is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne Vic
Posts: 1,734
Send a message via Skype™ to Easykill1978
Default

http://gcg.com.au/category/workshop/...r-400ml-detail
__________________
My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-14
TheTaipan TheTaipan is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: sydney
Posts: 2,652
Default

Supercheap have it if there is one near you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MM Diesel Fuel System Cleaner 1524Brian Generation 4-2 Pajero 11 30-07-16 08:42 PM
air cleaner box DID Fbossie Generation 3 Pajero 8 04-10-14 05:55 PM
DPF Cleaner Corbetzki Generation 4-1 Pajero 2 02-10-14 08:30 PM
Air cleaner box cluffman Generation 3 Pajero 3 23-04-12 09:46 PM
NL Air Cleaner Cover lpgnlexceed Generation 2 Pajero 3 03-06-09 11:09 AM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.