Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 11-10-14

Default Rust dots on the chassis after beach driving

Hey guys,

I did some beach driving at the Cape, and i cleaned the chassis with freshwater when back, maybe 1 week after the beach driving.

I just noticed i have rust spots on the whole chassis frame now. Not too sure if thats because of the beach or because of all the creeks crossings from the OTT.

What would be the best to do, scrub all this with a metal brush, then spray it with this "lanolin" stuff i heard about, or rust neutralizer, or paint it ?

I wanted to have your insight on this, please tell me what you think i should do

Cheers
Old 11-10-14
Valued Member

One week to let the salt do its job, should be sufficient for some rust on unprotected metal....
Get some phosphoric acid and a sponge or spray bottle - whatever you prefer.
Soak the rusty parts with the acid, the rust turns black after a while.
You will see white areas where the acid dreis off faster, if you don't like that you can hose all down and re-apply the acid.
Once all rust is converted use a pressure cleaner for a final rinse, preferable those hot ones from the car wash.
Now can either leave it or coat it in pink paint.
No wait, undercaot is black, sorry...
Old 11-10-14
Unregistered as asked

1 week after the beach driving
That's the prob ........................ it's had a week to do it's work nasty stuff that salt
Old 11-10-14
Valued Member

I'd be inclined to do what Downunder suggested - spray with rust converter (phosphoric acid), then wash down. After that I'd give it a really good go with Lanotec. You'd be better off buying a 5lt. container and putting it in a spray bottle yourself - too expensive to buy in the spray bottle to start with. I'd also keep an eye on it from time to time to make sure no nasty little pockets or rusts get going under there. Rust has a nasty habit of starting up in the crevices where you can't see it, so put plenty of Lanotec in places that overlap etc.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.