Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 29-06-14
Valued Member

Default Winter fixings

I can now say that taking the intercooler off my car is now a job I can do in less that 5 minutes.

cold starts have been like starting an oil tanker in the garage for the last month or so, after replacing only 3 of the 4 glowplugs all is well.

still getting leaks around the rocker cover and half moon seals, as well as the oil filler cap. its got me buggered how it will be all fine then itll kick off again. its a new gasket kit, i use a little gasket goo on the half moon seals and thats it.

so off with the rocker cover, thought it might have been the PCV outlet blocked so gave it the usual chemical warfare to clear it out, but it really wasnt that bad this time. all up this took me about an hour and a half including helping my son burn his name on some wood with the only working glowplug and a 12v battery.

I have this one recurring issue that I just cant get a handle on. for the most part my car goes the guts and it is quite fun to drive. lots of power (relative to a 4m40) and sounds sweet.
then all of a sudden it seems sluggish, seems to blow a bit more black smoke on acceleration,and the engine sounds different- it seems a little throaty a like a carby without an air filter on top, but not as bad as that. this is when I get the oil leaks as well, although I cant be positive if they are related.
Mechanic seems to have a blank look on his face about this, as I am driven nuts by rattles and strange noises so he knows what Im like ( I was a sound engineer for 15 years ) and would rather be presented with an actual problem rather that a strange noise, which I dont blame him for.

its got a new head, radiator, timing chain and starter moter. compression is even and good. no probs with the injector pump either (touch wood)

Theories? I thought the oil leaking was from increased crankcase pressure if the pcv was a bit blocked, It does vent oil into the intercooler, but I put a catch can in as well yesterday, (not plumbed yet as i need the right hoses and fittings as the ones on the can are too small). not sure if this is going to do anything, but itll hopefully keep the oil out.

my questions to you are;

anyone else had the same noise/power issue, or am I going nuts?
why does a glowplug only last 2 years? is this normal?

interesting thing at Autobarn though, spoke to a guy who said he was a drag racing mechanic, said oil in the intercooler and turbo was supposed to be there to lubricate and cool the parts, and that oil leaking was normal on all diesels. I asked him why an oil cooled turbocharger needed sludgy oil vapour as well as the direct feed from the oil of the engine to cool it, as well as the oil spots I leave in the garage, but he seemed a little evasive and abrupt after that for some reason and told me I didnt need the catch can and that I just need to live with the oil leaks.

I would rather he just said " I know nothing about your problems or diesels for that matter, Im way out of my depth here but the uniform is kinda cool" and then found someone else who actually did know somthing, but that would be impossible because no one at autobarn has any clue about cars in my experience. apart from overpriced polishing cloths and car seat covers.

thanks all.
Old 30-06-14

Default Autobarn...

In my limited experience with the muppets at autobarn, and supercheap for that matter, I have noticed they primarily hire pimply little highschool dropouts complete with shitty attitude, the occasional single mum sporting atleast one visible tramp stamp, and always have atleast one bloke who claims to be qualified in one way or another (often an ex Mcdonalds McManager) you know the type, hear all, see all, know @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$# all.

just out of interest, I wonder how much the 'Type R' clip on beverage holder, love heart shaped exhaust tip and stick on led day running lights fitted to his daewoo lanos have cut his 1/4 mile times by?

Autoburn and stupidcheap are both great places to shop for cheap oil, degreasers and day to day consumables, but thats about where the joy ends.

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...
Old 30-06-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungas View Post
In my limited experience with the muppets at autobarn, and supercheap for that matter, I have noticed they primarily hire pimply little highschool dropouts complete with shitty attitude, the occasional single mum sporting atleast one visible tramp stamp, and always have atleast one bloke who claims to be qualified in one way or another (often an ex Mcdonalds McManager) you know the type, hear all, see all, know @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$# all.

Dude, you just described the whole Super cheap Auto stuff here in Taree lol.
Old 30-06-14
Valued Member

hahaha. I was that pimply faced kid running the spare parts counter at supercheap auto Toowoomba back in my uni days. I loved that job. I was happy to admit I was no mechanic, but I knew part numbers and I could find stuff quickly and order it in if I didn't have it.

I bought a fair bit of gear from Repco though, as we were limited as to what we could source.
'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.