Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 22-03-14

Default I know. Its another fuel consumption thread.

1996 NJ paj. Auto, 3.5. Dual fuel.

I can't find the thread that listed all the things to check for fuel related issues. Driving distance on gas it uses about 16 liters/100k. On BP ultimate it uses about 14.5 liters 100k. but driving around town it uses 30 liters/100k on gas and 23 liters/100k on BP ultimate. What do I need to test to figure out these problem. No codes are thrown at all. tyres are standard size and are ATRs.

Help?
Old 23-03-14

Check:
Air filter
Clean MAF
O2 sensor
Injectors clean?
spark plug/leads ok?

These are the ones I can think of a 01:20am
I'm sure I've missed something :P

im getting 16/17L per 100Km in hilly hobart
Old 23-03-14

My 3lt NJ sucks anywhere between 14 to 20lt. Doesn't matter how I drive either, the more gentle I drive the more fuel it uses.
Old 23-03-14
Resident

What sort of mixer are you using? Some of the real simple mixers simply strangle the engine, and kill fuel consumption - in the early '90s I worked with a bloke who put a simple mixer system on a 3 litre petrol hilux, and could only get 10mpg on gas. Petrol wasn't much better.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 23-03-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
What sort of mixer are you using? Some of the real simple mixers simply strangle the engine, and kill fuel consumption - in the early '90s I worked with a bloke who put a simple mixer system on a 3 litre petrol hilux, and could only get 10mpg on gas. Petrol wasn't much better.
What's a 10mpg? Haha - vote one metric!
Old 23-03-14
Who ya gunna call....

23.5L/100Km's American gallon
28.3L/100km's Imperial gallon
Old 23-03-14
Valued Member

No matter if diesel or petrol, if the system is clean the fuel consumption should be ok - if not tuning is needed.
Over the years I had all sorts of cars that needed "a look", friends, family, you name it.
A Magna was the worst, using close to 25L/100km and struggling to get up a small hill.
After several failed tune ups I was asked to look before it goes to scrap.
Air filter was simply black, airbox full of leaves, fuel filter blocked with slimy goo, air leaks on the intake...
A quick run to the auto shop and a few hours later the car was running fine again, after a bit of tuning consumption down to 9.5L.

With more electronics and emmision control systems things are not always easier compared to simple cars.
If possible first order of business is checking for fault codes, followed by cleaning the usual syspects.
Since emmission control and the return of exhaust gases was introduced motors started to suffer.
What should be cleaned during a service is often overlooked by the mechanic to save some time as the car still runs fine.
Old 25-03-14

Unless the knock sensor on a pajero exists and is sophistocated to adjust timing to account for extra octane in premium, that is wasted money as well. As the potential extra power in the octane is not utilised. Im not sure if the petrol engines have this technology on the 3.5lt?

My nl petrol uses about 16l/100 around town driving smoothly and without agressive acceleration. 13l/100km on highway unloaded no wind.
Old 25-03-14
Valued Member

you're meant to put premium in the 6g74 though at least the 95ron
Old 25-03-14
Valued Member

You can run normal unleaded in the 3.5 although premium is recommended.

I personally find 95 to be the sweet spot on both my pajeros.
E10 gives me horrible economy, 91 isn't much better and 95/98 I get the same so the extra few cents a litre for me isn't justifiable. I do put the 98 in now and then as it's meant to help clean a little better then the other fuels but since I can't see the inside of the fuel tank etc etc I'm just taking their word for it.

As for the industries theory that Ethanol being a powerful detergant and E10 should keep everything cleaner, I find that utter garbage based on what I've been told by people who actually maintain and service automotive fuel systems and also the injectors and cyl heads I took out of the NK after just half a tank of E10.