Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 26-08-12

Default Oil leak 1989 2.5TD

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new in the 4WD world. My partner and I bought a Pajero from 1989, 2.5TD EXE, in very good conditions, or at least it seemed to be at first. The engine only has 151,000km which is great for a car that age. We bought it to go on trip around australia in march 2013, and it was great for our tight budget.
Anyway, after two weeks of use without problem, I noticed on the floor where the car is parked that there is an oil patch underneath (I assume it's oil as it is very black and greasy). I crawled under the car to see where it was from and saw that there is oil in a few different spots, sometimes quite far apart. I also saw that the main drops were coming from a cracked rubber "protection". I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I know very little about mechanical engineering.
I had hope that someone could tell me where the leak could be from?
I know it's very difficult with so little information, but any help is welcome.

Thank you very much in advance

Here is the photo:

Old 26-08-12
Valued Member

Welcome to the forum mate
It could be rear main seal which is located in the rear of the flywheel
Motor as to be removed or could be gearbox oil coming out the front of the gearbox

Best thing i do is give it a good degrease do a couple rounds of the block then get back under a check to see where its coming from
Old 26-08-12
Valued Member

Default post thread

Hi Matolio,
It looks like the old classis, from what I can see from your pic, around the gearbox bell houseing, its a case of having the rocker cover gaskets changed, as the two half moons are out of place through age or bad fitting, from the last time they were changed, its a matter of getting a new rocker gasket and either fitting it yourself, or getting someone else to do the job for you, just to be certain, open the bonnet, reach over the back of the engine, up at the fire wall and run your hand around the two rocker covers between the engine and firewall and see how much oil you have on your hands, then dip the oil stick and see the level, between the two lines on the stick and see if there is any sign of oil on the dipstick, so there you go and welcome to the club.
Old 26-08-12

Thanks both of you for your quick replies!
I really hope that the engine doesn't have to be removed or anything like that... I'm gonna have another look tomorrow but I think I will have to get it done by someone as I have no confidence in my mechanical skills. I just hope it won't cost me too much.

Thanks again for your answers guys!
Old 14-11-12

Default Oil leak 1990 NG

I had an oil leak and was told by a mechanic that it was the rear engine oil seal on the crankshaft which meant that the car was a write off as it would have cost more to fix it up than the car was worth.

I put my hand between the engine block and the firewall and it was oily. I took the tappet box cover off and put a solid bead of automotive silastic around the cover edge and bolted it back on. Problem solved!

This is a job anyone with the slightest mechanical ability could do.