Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 17-06-11

Default Replacing Shocks and Springs

Hi guys,

Im going to attempt to do mine over the weekend and was wondering if theres any step thruogh guides or threads that already cover this. Cant find anything GEN 1 specific. It seems the rear shocks are easy to change, rear coils can be a bit trickier without the right gear and the fronts a harder again. Ill also be doing the torsion bar adjustment to raise the front.

Ive got 4 new Bilstein shocks and ridepro 45mm coils.

Is it a bitch of a job to do? is there anything worthy of noting, that makes things easier? special tools, order of dismantling/reassembling etc

ANY help much appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Old 17-06-11
Valued Member

sorry I cant help you on that (local mech did mine!) but make sure you post before and after pics!
Old 17-06-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRSOL View Post
Hi guys,

Im going to attempt to do mine over the weekend and was wondering if theres any step thruogh guides or threads that already cover this. Cant find anything GEN 1 specific. It seems the rear shocks are easy to change, rear coils can be a bit trickier without the right gear and the fronts a harder again. Ill also be doing the torsion bar adjustment to raise the front.

Ive got 4 new Bilstein shocks and ridepro 45mm coils.

Is it a bitch of a job to do? is there anything worthy of noting, that makes things easier? special tools, order of dismantling/reassembling etc

ANY help much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

hi mate i did my rears myself it was a long time ago but i remember done heaps for mates too got to do mine again soon chassis swap long story

you need to jack it up support chassis so diff is free to drop remove the wheels put a trolley jack under the diff just to start to take the weight then disconnect sway bar from both sides it will make it all much easier next remove rear shocks then carefully let the jack down but watch your brake line and diff breather you don't want them taking the weight of the diff then you should be able to remove both rear coils replace with your new ones if you need to get a mate to push down on the axle end for your last one with jack in place it will just push on the other coil once both in jack up diff so you can put your new shocks in start from the top it will be much easier to do the bottom bolt last on both sides you can jack up or lower the diff to do that then just reassemble the rest and your done if you have trouble and can't get your springs in you can use coil spring compressors from super cheap auto or similar if you do the be very careful once there loaded as they can be very dangerous take your time it's not a hard job have fun sorry i didn't do the front i pay a guy to do that
Peter
Old 20-06-11

Thanks for the info Peter.

We managed to do all 4 shocks yesterday, but not the springs - will tackle that one night this week.

Front shocks were a bit of a bitch to get in, but we got them in there wihtout having to disassemble too much stuff in the end.
Old 21-06-11

Quote:
Thanks for the info Peter.

We managed to do all 4 shocks yesterday, but not the springs - will tackle that one night this week.

Front shocks were a bit of a bitch to get in, but we got them in there wihtout having to disassemble too much stuff in the end.
yeah it's funny i can't remember how i changed the front shocks i think it is a bit tricky though as you found unfortunately i'll find out soon when i put new shocks in the front of mine the last ones got stolen the last time i had them out can't remember why i had them out but there was a reason at the time first i got to get some new ones though i'll bet they cost heaps more now as i will find out i'm going to use the same as the shocks i had was very happy with them gabrial blue riders only cost me about $85 a pair a long time ago now anyway hope it all goes well
Old 21-06-11

With the fronts we ended up dropping them in from the top, through the upper control arm, and then compressed the shock to get it seated properly in the top mounting bracket. Wasnt to bad at all after we'd worked that out :P
Old 21-06-11

Quote:
With the fronts we ended up dropping them in from the top, through the upper control arm, and then compressed the shock to get it seated properly in the top mounting bracket. Wasnt to bad at all after we'd worked that out :P
probably how i did it years ago glad you told me that's how i will fit them unless i remember different
Old 21-06-11

Well its all done.

rear has gone up heaps, more than the 50mm lift quoted by ridepro. Cant get the front up that high to match. couldnt raise the front up anywhere near the rears without reindexing 4 points, and now the front is pretty darn stiff. Might have to come down a bit and go back to 3 points.

Have any of you removed the upper control arm bump stops completely?

Will post pics tomorrow when its light and i can get photos.
Old 22-06-11

pics here
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...t=16093&page=2
Old 23-06-11

Quote:
looks sweet mate i like that you didn't paint the bar black looks much better in silver i got to find a set of the wide body flares for my lwb they just make it look the goods and my rims and tyre got me a yellow sticker as they stick out a bit i fitted flexi flares but the factory one look heaps better