Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 20-05-11

Default 3.0L Engine - Intake Manifold Prolem

I am currently replacing the heads on my NG paj and i'm having great difficulty removing the intake manifold. Ive taken off the seven nuts that hold it down but it seems that there is another stud on the passenger side on the heater inlet that seems to be holding the manifold down. The manual ive got doesnt give me any clues or show me any extra bolts holding it down. The engine is 3.0l v6. The front lifts up a bit but there is something holding it down towards the rear. The only thing that I can think is that the threaded stud shown in the pics below goes down to the head but the manual I have doesnt show it. It almost seems like this is the last thing holding the manifold on, but ive removed the nut from it and I still remove the manifold. Ive included some pics below. Can somebody help me by telling me how to remove the manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paj1.jpg (202.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Paj2.jpg (205.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 22-05-11
Valued Member

Should lift off.. Lift it evenly up and should come off or have you lubes it with wd50 or something?
Old 22-05-11

Should come off. There is 8 nuts holding it on. There's a hose at the back that gets in the way and makes it hard to get manifold off and on.
Old 22-05-11
Valued Member

The gasket is probably what's holding it down. So, after soaking around the studs with WD40, using a length of hardwood & a hammer, gently tap the manifold from each side to loosen, then lift.

Steve

Note; NH has only 2 studs at the ends, the rest are bolts; probably because gasket-goo binds around the studs making it really hard to remove manifold. May be worth replacing the studs with high-tensile bolts when you reassemble.

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Last edited by Stevie-Ray; 22-05-11 at 09:54 AM. Reason: add note
Old 22-05-11

I managed to get it off this afternoon. It was just severe corrosion around the thread that I circled.
Old 22-05-11
Valued Member

How did the motor look after you got the top off?
Old 22-05-11
Valued Member

Default 3.0L engine - intake manifold problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwagon View Post
I honestly cant see the point in struggleing in taking the inlet manifold off while its still attached to the head, as its much easier to take it apart once you have it on the floor/bench, same goes for the exhaust one too, just dissconnect from the down pipe, makes it much easier to lift the heads off too, especially if they are on the stubbon side, the heads I mean.
Old 23-05-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion 42 View Post
I honestly cant see the point in struggleing in taking the inlet manifold off while its still attached to the head, as its much easier to take it apart once you have it on the floor/bench, same goes for the exhaust one too, just dissconnect from the down pipe, makes it much easier to lift the heads off too, especially if they are on the stubbon side, the heads I mean.
sorry mate i think you must have miss under stood it's a v6 not the 2.6 you can't remove the heads (2 of them) with intake manifold in place like on the 4cyl (1 head) that is why he posted question
Old 23-05-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwagon View Post
It looked pretty good for a 21 year old motor! Just a bit of corrosion around the threads and the usual gunk around the edge of the gaskets. My dad dropped the heads off to the engineers this morning so hopefully they can clean them up and don't ring back with any surprises.
Old 23-05-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion 42 View Post
I don't see why you would need to hoist the engine out to remove the heads? I don't have a hoist but I just removed the components of the engine in a logical order. The only reason I was having difficulties was because of the corrosion, once I got it loose it came out easy. The exhaust manifolds were also pretty easy, just got under the car and used the right socket extension bar thingy and they pulled off no problem. This is the first time Ive ever done anything on a car other than change the oil or change a flat tyre.