Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 07-03-11

Default Replacing rear shocks and springs.

Hi all,

After having the Paj serviced today, the mech kindly informed me that "my rear springs are sagging, and rear shocks are leaking oil...1000 bucks should fix it !"

"Yep no probs mate, lock it in and do you mind if I pay you in Moroccan Roubles or papua Nui Guinea coconuts??" was my smart arse reply.

I have known that the arse end needed work, expecially towing a trailer all day 6 days a week. However the chief wont sign off on that sort of $$ again being thrown into the bottomless money pit, other wise known as my Paj.

I have done a bit of searching here, and see that PJ68 jas some photos of changing springs.

Anyone else tried the Quinella with changing both themselves?? Is it a "Sunday arvo, couple of steaks on the BBQ and six pack" sort of job, or a "Sorry dear, I tried to do it myself but have farked it up, so know I am calling the tow truck to take it to the mechs" sort of job ??

any thoughts appreciated !

S...yep I am reasonably mech minded...have changed break pads and rotors myself etc etc..

thanks !
'97 NK 3500 DOHC...Dual Fuel... Manual... Alpine Head Unit...ORICOM UHF050...31' MAXXIS Buckshot Mudders ...friggin heaps of k's...Reco Gem engine just in...Tandem Kayak...Tradies trailer converted for camping...
Old 07-03-11
Valued Member

Easy to do yourself, a couple of drinks and a free afternoon will be plenty of time. $1000 is a bit rich..

(Drinks after the job is done, not while you're sitting under the car working )
Steele Perkins (#1263)
NP Pajero with added goodness..
Old 10-03-11
Valued Member

Mate what i done was advertised on the forum for anyone with a set of rear std springs out Gq or Gu patrol they wanted to get rid of for free or cheap (i got 6 replies 4 for free and 2 for <$100) fitting these springs is easy and gives about a 2-3" lift from std.
Then get a set of shockies from a forerunner with bottom eye top pin and get the job done for under $300.00
Other thing to look at changing with set up is the brake hose to the diff as you will have longer travel and this hose can break.
Cheers Murray
95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils
Old 10-03-11

Rear shockies are pretty cheap anyway:

Ironman for $220 delivered:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IRONMAN-SHOCK...item2a0e9e9e26

KYB for $131 plus delivery:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KYB-SHOCK-ABS...item20b42b3cbf
Old 10-03-11

Nice !!

Chears guys for some ideas.
'97 NK 3500 DOHC...Dual Fuel... Manual... Alpine Head Unit...ORICOM UHF050...31' MAXXIS Buckshot Mudders ...friggin heaps of k's...Reco Gem engine just in...Tandem Kayak...Tradies trailer converted for camping...
Old 10-03-11
Valued Member

When your doing it beside the shocks and springs is there anything else you should replace at the same time?

I'm thinking of doing this myself soon..

9000lbs Winch (Arrived - Now needs to be installed)
Old 10-03-11

Rear Bump Stops ?? Or so the mech says??
Old 12-03-11

I just did the rear springs myself lastweek, I keeped my old shockies in as they were good and just replaced the springs. Deffently need to get a longer break line and watch out with it when you drop the driff to get the springs in.
Took me 2 hours max. I achived a two and a half inch lift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After-lift.jpg (142.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg before-lift.jpg (86.0 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by convict; 12-03-11 at 02:30 AM. Reason: pics
Old 14-03-11

Hey convict looks good but what are you going to do with the front they seem to be a bugger to get any good height.
Rick

Old 15-03-11
Valued Member

Did you wind up the front? it does appear higher..

Also what size rims and tyres are you running with?

9000lbs Winch (Arrived - Now needs to be installed)