Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Default OBD App.. Fuel Temp readings

Just trying to get my head around what comes up as a Fuel Temperature reading on an app I am using. It avg around 57C but gets warmer when stopped so I'm assuming it's a sensor in the engine bay, but for fuel?? Can't say I have ever heard of one of these sensors for Paj. Any ideas if it's actually for fuel.
https://imgur.com/Qx5Cqb2
https://imgur.com/916uRd5

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
Just trying to get my head around what comes up as a Fuel Temperature reading on an app I am using. It avg around 57C but gets warmer when stopped so I'm assuming it's a sensor in the engine bay, but for fuel?? Can't say I have ever heard of one of these sensors for Paj. Any ideas if it's actually for fuel.
https://imgur.com/Qx5Cqb2
https://imgur.com/916uRd5

Not seeing photos in your link.

https://www.google.com.au/search?sou...4dUDCAg&uact=5
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
Fixed photo
Did find an old post by Old Jack that mentioned a fuel temp on Challenger, probably make sense to have one on the Paj seeing it is sold over in Russia and colder climates.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

There is a fuel temp sensor in the fuel pump, just below the suction control valve. It's pretty critical in common rails for fuel delivery volumes and not a market option like on the old JDM Landcruiser imports with mechanical injection (80 series I'm pretty sure, maybe others) for example that were equipped with a fuel temp sensor when Aus vehicles were not.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

All common rail diesel engines have a fuel temperature sensor.

The fuel is sucked up from the fuel tank by the fuel pump and then compressed at a very high pressure, 30,000psi + is not uncommon, and this compression of the fuel results in the fuel become heated.

More fuel is sucked up and compressed by the engine driven fuel pump than what the engine requires to run under all conditions, so the unused and heated fuel is returned back to the fuel tank where it is diluted and cooled by the balance of the fuel in the fuel tank.

However when you have high ambient temperatures and low fuel levels the fuel becomes very hot, at this point the engine ECU that is monitoring the fuel temperatures, detects a high fuel temp and limits the output of the engine so damage is not done to the fuel injectors.

So it is a good idea in very hot weather to not run your fuel levels below 1/4 of a tank unnecessarily.

Some common rail diesels have fuel coolers in the return line from the fuel pump to the fuel tank.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanks Jack
Just one to keep an eye on,i have had two issues with fuel starvation with starting the Paj over the years. Might help with nutting it out if it happens again and shows up faulty.
Dave