• Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Transmission lockup kits for Triton

Hi All,
    Expanding on the Pajero lockup kits, we have just released both auto-mate and lockup-mate for the MQ Triton. We also have kits for the MN 5 speed.
    Here is how it all started on this forum 3 years ago.

A transmission lockup-kit is a must if you either tow, or have 33" tyres. Locking the torque converter clutch prevents the torque converter from slipping. This slip generates significant amounts of heat with the extra load of towing or with larger tyres (and overheating is a major cause of expensive transmission rebuilds).
    You'll also get 10%+ fuel savings and more power to the road.

Our lockup kits also transform the feel of your vehicle, giving you instant responsiveness and removing that slush-box feel of the gear box. You'll see what gear is engaged even in DRIVE mode. No more transmission limp mode in the MN's when towing.

Learn more at our web site or videos at Youtube, or checkout the link above for forum member reviews.

Cheers Marshall
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • guzzi
    • Aug 2008
    • Central Coast NSW

Marshall has only recently developed a kit for MN 4 speed auto's.Have had a Lockup Mate installed in my MN for 2 weeks and have done some k's but not towed yet.
    The 4 speed in these is pretty hopeless in drive mode as the TC spends most of its time unlocked resulting in mushy feel,high AT temp's and increased fuel usage which is even worse when towing. Up until now too overcome this I have spent most of my time driving in sport mode which is better but still not great.
    This kit has totally transformed my auto. In sports mode its basically a clutchless manual in 2nd 3rd and 4th and in drive mode it locks solid at anything over about 70 kmh.
    I won't write up on what it does or how it works as all this info is available on mm4x4's website.
    I have no affiliation with mm4x4 but believe a good product and backup deserves a
    Last edited by guzzi; 13-02-21, 12:16 PM.
    2014 MN Triton Auto
    Trailer Camper
    1968 Guzzi Stornello
    1980 Guzzi T3 Californian
    1981 Guzzi Le Mans II
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    Too many toys not enough time https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...lies/frown.png

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

Marshall, will these kits for MN 4 speed also suit ML 4 speed, keeping in mind it is essentially identical transmission hardware (except for 1 wire in the transmission to body loom as I found)?
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• m_and_m
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by guzzi View Post
        I have no affiliation with mm4x4 but believe a good product and backup deserves a
        Thanks Guzzi

Originally posted by pharb View Post
        Marshall, will these kits for MN 4 speed also suit ML 4 speed, keeping in mind it is essentially identical transmission hardware (except for 1 wire in the transmission to body loom as I found)?
        Most likely yes. It's not the transmission that could be the limitation, rather the CANBus digital control side of the car, and given it's a 3.2 maybe retuning the lockup profile. Do you know if an OBD2 reader can be used on the ML? If anyone in Adelaide want to contact me I can quickly determine if it's viable.
        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

OBD2 on ML?

I assume so. Both my Dad and 2 son's run Scan Guages in their MLs. Including monitoring trans temps.

Would that suggest OBD1 or OBD2?
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by pharb View Post
            OBD2 on ML?
            I assume so. Both my Dad and 2 son's run Scan Guages in their MLs. Including monitoring trans temps.
            Would that suggest OBD1 or OBD2?
            Sounds promising. Easy enough for met to check if someone in Adelaide wants a lockup kit in the ML diesel. Best to contact me via the web site.

Comment

• Pickle
              Administrator
              • Jun 2007
              • All over Oz

ML should be OBD2 and running the Jatco. MN running Jatco and Aisin in the GLX-R upper spec models.
              dave
              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                ML should be OBD2 and running the Jatco. MN running Jatco and Aisin in the GLS upper spec models.
                dave
                I wish it was that simple 🤣. Tritons only went to AISIN on the 2016+ (MQ/MR). JATCO prior.

Comment

• Pickle
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2007
                  • All over Oz

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                  I wish it was that simple 🤣. Tritons only went to AISIN on the 2016+ (MQ/MR). JATCO prior.
                  Nup, NM did have Aisins and Jatcos.... . Four and five speed autos.
                  Have a look aty Wholesale autos website, they have kits for both on the Triton.
                  NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                  Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Pickle
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2007
                    • All over Oz

And in the MN the Aisins didn't have a dipstick....only way you could tell!
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• m_and_m
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010

Hmm. Ok then. Tell me which year model MN Triton has an AISIN gearbox. Challenger 🤣 you.

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010

JATCO in all MN Tritons, PB-PC Challengers, Pajero NM,NP,NS, and Petrol NT,NW. AISIN in Diesel NT, NW,NX, and Triton MQ,MR.

Comment

• m_and_m
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2010

And in the MN the Aisins didn't have a dipstick....only way you could tell!
                          Now that is true. AISIN doesn’t have a dipstick. So silly

Comment

• Pickle
                            Administrator
                            • Jun 2007
                            • All over Oz

Hmm, might have to admit defeat here Marshal. Can't find any reference to the Aisin in the MN . Thought it was part of the Luxury Pack option. I,ll keep sniffing through the files though
                            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Pickle
                              Administrator
                              • Jun 2007
                              • All over Oz

Hmm, might have to admit defeat here Marshal. Can't find any reference to the Aisin in the MN . Thought it was part of the Luxury Pack option. I,ll keep sniffing through the files though
                              Hang on ....quote from NewTriton Net
                              'd be quite interested to know whether/which gearboxes would be interchangeable. Certainly the MQ Aisin box is the same as the Paj (and Prado, although bellhousing would be different) and the MN used the earlier Aisin box in the 5 speed auto, so suspect that one might fit, too.
                              www.newtriton.net • View topic - Different engine in the triton?
                              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X