• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baki bakic
    • Oct 2019
    • Deer park

Overheating problem

Hi everyone.recently bought 2002 Pajero petrol/ lpg,260k.previous owner said to disregard temperature gauge when going to the top,he already changed thermostat and blame cluster/dash for show innacurate temp.i changed temp.sender but problem is still the same,in everyday driving temp.gauge going from half to the nearly top and similar. Today after climbing a hill temp.gauge going slowly to the top and sit there and i stopped the car and coolant going out from the bottle...after all i can drive a car normally.any opinions?
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

It could be a couple of things.
    -blocked radiator,heater core or hose; check hose for internal deterioration. Check radiator and core for damage
    -blocked radiator fins; gently hose out, straighten bent fins
    -broken water pump; replace
    -incorrect coolent/coolent mix; flush and replace.
    -does the fan work correctly?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Baki bakic
      • Oct 2019
      • Deer park

The fan works fine

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Are they aluminum radiators on those? I would check how well radiator is flowing as a first step. Remove to and bottom hoses, shove hose into the top and try and block with your hand. They're shouldn't be much back pressure at all with house running hard, it should flow freely out the bottom. That seems to be most common cause of overheating like that in my experience (but only my experience)

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

There is a common fault in the dash with the temp gauge on these models - it is a faulty resistor that can cause erratic movements in the gauge readings, ie, it jumps around - if yours does that, search "resistor fault" for all the info on the forum. (but use Google search, not ours, for better results) Sounds like "old mate" had heard about this one? But if the car is actually running too hot & expelling coolant, is is probably not this on it's own.

The thermostatic clutch on the fan sometimes causes grief on older cars - people swear the fan is OK, but the clutch doesn't tighten up enough to pull enough air through when climbing hills, towing, etc. Again, search for all the info. This one has tricked quite a few people.

Then there are the usual suspects, as listed. It may even be a couple of these issues combined.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• dtd1402
            • Mar 2013
            • Victoria Australia

Agree with Spot01. Clutch fan might not be doing its job. it's a simple job to add more silicon to it.
            Also clean out dirt that block the airflow on both the aircon and radiator.
            I also strongly suggest to install a secondary coolant temp gauge and sensor for Gen 3 as the factory gauge has issue - broken soldering as pointed out in the post above. I've recently done this to my car and it reads/maintains at 80deg while the factory gauge was showing hot.

Comment

• airbats801
              • Sep 2017
              • oregon

Try installing a temporary aftermarket gauge to confirm the stock one is accurate or not. If it is overheating, determine if you are pushing coolant from a cracked head or bhg, or if it's just a sub par radiator

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

If you search through this forum for overheating problems, probably 90% or more of them started out like you, but ultimately finished up either replacing or repairing the fan clutch. Just because the fan spins and draws some air, when things get really the fan will not drawn enough air to keep things cool. When things are really hot, you should easily hear the fan roar as the clutch cuts in and then the noise drops when it cuts out. You know then that it is working properly.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X